Fishing Club

DeletedUser46251

I'm quite a keen angler and thought it was about time we had a fishing thread!

Here we can post any funny fishy stories, captures and tips etc.

I'll start things off with a pic of a fish I caught earlier in the season.

29zvlvq.jpg

DeletedUser46251

That one was 30lb8oz, and had it within 15 minutes of getting to the lake!

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
I'm currently waiting for it so snow or actually get cold here so the lake I go to freezes over and I can start ice fishing. Haven't been non ice fishing in years because I always seem to run into the conservation police people who ask if I have my fishing license. Of course I don't because nobody knows where to get the thing anymore.

DeletedUser46251

Sounds like some hardcore fishing, most peole are fair weather anglers and pack their gear away for the winter over here. What fish do you catch under the ice?

DeletedUser46251

Nice mix, I bet the catfish are hard work to get out under the ice.

I had a 40lb catfish back in the summer that was towing me around the lake for a while. I had gone to the lake straight from working a night shift, and all I really wanted to do was sleep once the rods where out.

An hour in to my pit... I was woken by a slimy bream, then another 30 minutes later before the catfish. That seemed to do the job of killing the swim, so I could get some much needed shut eye!

Last edited by a moderator:

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Nothing even close to that size where I fish. If I want big I would book a day out on a deep sea fishing trip but it's like a few hours worth of driving to get to the city and then a whole day out. Not too keen on waking up while it's dark and not getting home till long after it's dark.

DeletedUser46251

For me there's nothing better than arriving at a lake before 1st light.

At the height of my carp chasing addiction, I have arrived straight from work on a Friday evening, and not left till Monday morning to go to work.

DeletedUser46251

Salmon fishing is definately in the bucket list, would love to fish the Fraser river for them.

DeletedUser46251

Yeah they are the top sport fish in England. I know in America they are slowly starting to come round to the idea, after hooking one when fishing for other species.

Ranga1

Strategos
That's strange but not suprising. Quite when fishing on a rover we find them sitting to rot cos the catcher doesn't want them not do they want to throw them back! Do you eat them?

DeletedUser46251

That's strange but not suprising. Quite when fishing on a rover we find them sitting to rot cos the catcher doesn't want them not do they want to throw them back! Do you eat them?

Is a shame as they are good fun to catch, and it has the climate for them to grow massive over there.

Don't eat them over here, although you can buy farmed carp in some supermarkets, but this is aimed at the eastern european market. I believe that they eat carp on boxing day.

If you killed one on any of the lake i fish, you'd probably get shot! One lake i fished this season has less than 30 carp in, with some that have been in the lake for over 30 years.

Ranga1

Strategos
well when they are swimming in some rivers and lakes like flies, I think you can understand why we leave them for dead! They kill all the real fish in the river, dig up all the sand on the bottom and dirty up the lake for the real fish

DeletedUser

Nice take baldy. I bet that ol' fella had been king of his local waters for a fair while.

DeletedUser46251

Nice take baldy. I bet that ol' fella had been king of his local waters for a fair while.
It's not a water i fish that often, maybe 2 or 3 times a year with a mate, but i have seen a beast of a mirror carp crash in there a few times, that is top of my hit list, and i know where he lives, next time i go i will target that area and see how i get on.

Anyone else got any fishy stories? I will post another in a few days if not.

DeletedUser46251

Right this one is a bit long, but is a beast and is my pb carp!

It had been a barmy hot weekend in early June and the fishing was hard, no fish had been out all weekend and i arrived Saturday lunchtime to start my session.

I had been putting some bait into a swim that allows you to fish to the mouth of a shallow weedy bay, that the fish like to get into during the day and generally laze about in the sun. There's a sand bar just short of heavy weed in the bay, that eventually produced a lot of fish for me, but not on this occasion.

The sun was crazy hot this weekend and not exactly great fishing conditions, so come Sunday i afternoon i was thinking of a move. I was planning on fishing till Monday morning before packing up early to head to work.

The Sunday sun drew the fish up to the surface, after hours of fruitless efforts trying to get a carp to take a surface bait, i reeled in and went for a wonder. A guy that i had got friendly with on the lake had managed to tempt his 1st carp of the season out that morning and he was well chuffed, and i don't blame him, these carp are tricky customers and have seen it all before.

His brother was fishing the next swim along and i got chatting to him, we chatted about how he had managed to catch more big commons than mirrors, with me having not caught many big commons. I hoped this would change soon, as the biggest 3 fish in this lake where commons...

I had some luck by fishing Sunday nights that season and waiting till the temperature cooled in the afternoon. Often the fish would start to show in numbers, and i had lost one of the big girls 2 weeks previously casting a single at the showing fish.

I remember chatting to one of the members that day about how i didn't think with how hot it was, that they wouldn't start to show until 10pm!

The swim i moved to was a swim that i had some success in already that season, had a good view of most of the lake, and most importantly, i could park my van behind for a quick exit in the morning :D

Exactly as i predicted just after 10pm the fish started to show in numbers straight out in front of my swim at about 100 yards range. I reeled in my left hand rod and cast a single pop-up bait at the fish. When you cast at showing fish there is always a worry that you will spook them, but after 10 minutes or so my fears where gone as the fish started to show again, phew!

I stayed up and watched the water till about 11, when i finally turned in with action to my rods.

At around 4.45am i was awoken by a screaming alarm on my left hand rod, i picked the rod and the rod hooped over, i was into a fish :)

My 1st estimation of the fish was to be one of the smaller stockies as it was coming straight into me, around 30 yards out the fish started to head towards a snag to my right, forcing me to put some pressure on the fish, it rolled on the surface soon after and i saw the golden scales of a nice size common, and my estimates had been revised to one of the many low 30lb commons in the lake, happy days :D

I got the fish under my rod tip, which was choked weed in 8 feet of water,which the fish used to good effect and got buried deep. To lift the fish meant putting more strain on my tackle than i was happy with, but it had to be done! With putting this extra strain on, it was a slow painstaking effort to slowly inch the fish of the bottom until eventually it rolled on the surface, my 1st proper glimpse and this was definitely the big girl!!

The fish soon found the depths of the weed again and it was a further more 4 or 5 games of tug of war with the big girl before she was at the surface spitting out water ready for the net.

Now the hard work was done, time for the easy job of netting her, NOT! :D

During the fight the fish had gone around my other line, that coupled with the thick weed meant that the with the net at full stretch, it was only just touching the fishes nose!!

With all my hopes and dreams held in desperate limbo, i made a quick "pumped up full of adrenaline in the moment" decision...

I dropped the rod and grabbed the net with both hands, and with the extra distance created leaning forward with both hand, i scooped up my prize!

Looking into the net, and there was doubt that i had the big girl, and she was looking plump!

A quick call to the bailiff and he was soon round for the weighing and pics. Once the pics where done, i packed up, had a shower and was my way to work a very happy man!!!! :D

For the record she was 43lb120z and was a new lake record!!

amr5eq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: