Generic Debate (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser6156

Thought I would try a more standard debate so without further ado:

Do you think everyone should have the right to die when and how they want to?

Please remember to respect everyones opinion whether you agree or disagree.
Thanks and have fun debating.
fingolfin

DeletedUser

Definitely. Those are, in my opinion, things everyone should have a right to.

DeletedUser

Should people always be able to make that decision for themselves? Even if they're not entirely mentally stable at the time?

DeletedUser

fingolfin

I don't think people should choose how to die. God is supposed to give you your time to die,

DeletedUser

Should people always be able to make that decision for themselves? Even if they're not entirely mentally stable at the time?

Well I suppose when they aren't in their right mind..

DeletedUser11965

fingolfin

No, let fate decide

DeletedUser

If they are sane, and mentally able, I think people should be allowed to die when they want, it is their own life, so if they want to leave this world, it should be their choice, like Paul Lamb, who wanted to die after being paralysed, because he was in constant pain, and could do nothing by himself, his appeal for a law change was denied, and he eventually killed himself anyway by refusing to eat, and as a result of that contracted pneumonia, which killed him.

DeletedUser39031

No, people go through rough times in life and don't think clearly. They might not know what they are doing

J.n.c 1993

Strategos
I believe people should only have the right to die if they have a life-threatening disease or illness or severely disabled as some people don't want to suffer by living.

DeletedUser

Wow some really weird answers here

So you're telling me that if one of you had an excruciatingly painful illness and the pain was far too bearable to carry on. That you have no say in the matter because God decides?

What a ridiculous statement. My brother was critically ill many years ago in hospital and the doctors told my Dad that he was brain dead. He had to make the decision to switch Scott's life support machine off because he would live the rest of his life as a vegetable and in pain... He had the right to die but someone else made the decision for him.

If they are sane, and mentally able, I think people should be allowed to die when they want, it is their own life, so if they want to leave this world, it should be their choice, like Paul Lamb, who wanted to die after being paralysed, because he was in constant pain, and could do nothing by himself, his appeal for a law change was denied, and he eventually killed himself anyway by refusing to eat, and as a result of that contracted pneumonia, which killed him.

This is exactly what I mean, he wasn't mentally ill, he wasunhappy in his body, basically a prison! He deserved the right to die

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If it was up to me, I would choose when and how I should die, even if it took hundreds of years. You can't just place judgement on people here, by just saying GOD is the decider. No....This should be depended on what people believe in.

DeletedUser40768

I do not think everyone should have the right to die when and how they want. Keep in mind that your life affects the life of many others both positively and negatively, so to have the power to chose when and how to die would also impact the lives of many others beside yourself. Also if everyone had the right to die when and how they want then that would also be saying that committing suicide is not a bad thing to do.

DeletedUser

I do not think everyone should have the right to die when and how they want. Keep in mind that your life affects the life of many others both positively and negatively, so to have the power to chose when and how to die would also impact the lives of many others beside yourself. Also if everyone had the right to die when and how they want then that would also be saying that committing suicide is not a bad thing to do.

So this is what I am getting, if I had that kind of power....I wouldn't want myself to die, not yet at least. Because this also contradicts to what your saying.....Maybe those people who were murdered didn't want to die that way, might as well say that is a good thing to? No...People should choose how and when they want to die....This, if it were possible, would affect others, but that will always be an issue.

DeletedUser40768

You are going to die sooner or later, why try to avoid death as much as possible, that would be pointless. Even if someone was murdered, it shouldn't be there choice to die another way. Everything happens for a reason whether is obvious or not, so by changing how you would die that would significantly affect your family and friends. Maybe they were going to open a charity, but since it didn't happened bye bye charity. Maybe they were going to become better people as they understand the burden of losing a loved one. Or maybe they would end up worse after the persons death, maybe go into depression, commit suicide, whatever it might be. Either way why would you take the risk of just making someone else's life more difficult to live through, sounds a bit selfish if you ask me especially when death would still be unavoidable.

DeletedUser

You are going to die sooner or later, why try to avoid death as much as possible, that would be pointless. Even if someone was murdered, it shouldn't be there choice to die another way. Everything happens for a reason whether is obvious or not, so by changing how you would die that would affect your family. Maybe they were going to open a charity, but since it didn't happened bye bye charity. Maybe they were going to become better people as they understand the burden of losing a loved one. Or maybe they would end up worse after the persons death, maybe go into depression, commit suicide, whatever it might be. Either way why would you take the risk of just making someone else's life more difficult to live through, sounds a bit selfish if you ask me.

Well I wasn't asking you, so.......This all depends on who should be given the choice. If I were to die when I wanted to, then that gives me plenty of time on my hands to do stuff that can affect people majorly. You may think of it selfish....But others with my opinion may not. So there is no wrong or right answer for this Question.

DeletedUser40768

This says should everyone have the right to die when and how they want, it doesn't really say anything about special exceptions it is aimed toward humanity as a whole. So as long as there are evil people in the world then the answer to this question is no, at least in my mind. Looking at the question by saying yes you are also saying that you are alright with murderers being able to die whenever they want, which would never be a good idea. Just my thoughts :)

DeletedUser

This says should everyone have the right to die when and how they want, it doesn't really say anything about special exceptions it is aimed toward humanity as a whole. So as long as there are evil people in the world then the answer to this question is no, at least in my mind. Looking at the question by saying yes you are also saying that you are alright with murderers being able to die whenever they want, which would never be a good idea. Just my thoughts :)

Murderers wouldn't really exist though would they? Everyone has the right to do when and how they want.....So basically you can't be killed unless the person allows it. Simple as that.

DeletedUser

It think people do have the right to die when they want to in certain situations. If a person is living in severe pain then yes, the option is to kill that person, but if you wanted to jump off a bridge and kill yourself because you were angry or something like that, then I don't think they deserve to die.

DeletedUser

why use such a dodgy question as a topic and simply ask whether euthanasia should be legalized or not? That's essentially the heart of the matter.

As such, I believe that some conditions ought to be met.

1. Mental capability - is the person mentally sane?
2. Consultation with a counselor & family member- The individual may have gone through some sort of grief recently and MAY be acting irrationally.
3. Possible cooling off period to reflect on decision as it is irreversible.
4. Explanations of ramifications including legal ramifications of insurance, will, dispensations of estate etc.

all I could come up with logically without research.

DeletedUser40768

Murderers wouldn't really exist though would they? Everyone has the right to do when and how they want.....So basically you can't be killed unless the person allows it. Simple as that.

Exactly why that is still ridiculous. That would still mean that any other criminals can live a life of crime still, ones that commit rape, steal, or any evil person can still be allowed to ruin the lives of others. But they wouldn't have to worry, as they continue this behavior as long as they would like to pretty much, until they get bored and want to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.