Get Domination Right

DeletedUser52860

There are some well made, valid points in this thread but I don’t think it really touches on why the game is in decline for me? I start to wonder if it is the beginning of the end and whether the game has run its natural cause? I will pull the 3 main reasons that have stopped me (and probably others) playing to see if people agree and also if anything can be done to change them.

1. The spoiling of conquest worlds by the proliferation of LMD as a primary strategy? Low morale sieges have always existed and it was nice to occasionally wipe your enemies myths/ls because they hadn’t seen a smaller player was taking. Waking up every day to another lmd siege just drains the fun out of the game.

2. Spam, spam, spam, spam! Eurgh!! I don’t mean sending a few distraction attacks to other cities to draw a bit of support away from the main target. I mean the vast number of players spamming the crap out of each other and everybody else all day and all night. And then being proud of it???

3. The increase of cheating. Perhaps the scripts are just getting better but it seems to me that more and more players are gaining unfair advantages through illegal add-ons these days. Certainly there have been some foreign pre-made alliances who seem to have been doing it en-masse recently but things like auto-militia/auto dodge never seemed to be such a problem before.

My own personal view is bringing all servers into one would only increase the ways in which people would try to exploit the system and would probably be more of a sign that inno see the end coming rather than a genuine attempt to rebalance the game.

DeletedUser41523

I don't think I'll make another Premade after 107, not even sure I'll lead again. I've been pretty hands off leadership wise for most of the last 365 days and I've enjoyed it. I only came out for 107 because the sheer amount of people I like and good players we had was too good to pass up on and I'm not sure what my time situation will be beyond it so I figured I may as well do it while I have the time. If someone worth following ever decided to go to France or Germany though and I had time, I'd totally go. Already tried US and Russia.

And yet we had a massive server for a long time without problems. Mik pointed out Alpha. I came to Grep in Gamma and caught on as a leader in Theta. The worlds were loaded back then with all kinds of people. Americans, Brits, French, Italians, Balkans, etc. Heck in Paros, I had a pact with an Italian speaking alliance where nobody even really knew English and was using translate. Really early on, I actually remember selecting diplomats based on who could speak multiple languages.

I don't think communicating would be hard. They'd just speak in their language, if you wanna know what's said, pop it into translate. Heck while we're on coding, I'm sure Inno could get a translator running on the forums and someone could create an in game translator add on to save you the click of going to Google.

DeletedUser41523

Double post, my bad.

There are some well made, valid points in this thread but I don’t think it really touches on why the game is in decline for me? I start to wonder if it is the beginning of the end and whether the game has run its natural cause? I will pull the 3 main reasons that have stopped me (and probably others) playing to see if people agree and also if anything can be done to change them.

1. The spoiling of conquest worlds by the proliferation of LMD as a primary strategy? Low morale sieges have always existed and it was nice to occasionally wipe your enemies myths/ls because they hadn’t seen a smaller player was taking. Waking up every day to another lmd siege just drains the fun out of the game.

2. Spam, spam, spam, spam! Eurgh!! I don’t mean sending a few distraction attacks to other cities to draw a bit of support away from the main target. I mean the vast number of players spamming the crap out of each other and everybody else all day and all night. And then being proud of it???

3. The increase of cheating. Perhaps the scripts are just getting better but it seems to me that more and more players are gaining unfair advantages through illegal add-ons these days. Certainly there have been some foreign pre-made alliances who seem to have been doing it en-masse recently but things like auto-militia/auto dodge never seemed to be such a problem before.

My own personal view is bringing all servers into one would only increase the ways in which people would try to exploit the system and would probably be more of a sign that inno see the end coming rather than a genuine attempt to rebalance the game.

1) I don't really mind LMD. Especially in conquest, its a lot harder to overpower a bigger opponent. This ensures that everyone gets on the scoreboard. But I do think that Inno needs to release more no morale worlds.

2) Fully agree. Sometimes it feels like the attack alarm is the worst update in this game, despite it being really handy most the time.

3) I think 2 has the largest impact on cheating. I've noticed since spam started, botting and TV use has too. I also think this is coupled with the increase of gold reliance. Constant events (even if nerfed now) and things like insta buy and gold trading (when buying) cause people to want to protect what they have.

Them merging the servers and rebalancing the game can happen. But they need a boost in worlds. Then they need to run ads again, people need to see lively and competitive worlds to want to play.

DeletedUser55069

I don't think I'll make another Premade after 107, not even sure I'll lead again. I've been pretty hands off leadership wise for most of the last 365 days and I've enjoyed it. I only came out for 107 because the sheer amount of people I like and good players we had was too good to pass up on and I'm not sure what my time situation will be beyond it so I figured I may as well do it while I have the time. If someone worth following ever decided to go to France or Germany though and I had time, I'd totally go. Already tried US and Russia.
Excuses! 2 things are sure in grepo: there's always another event and another TSF premade. Les lapins de pique-nique or Picknickhasen?

DeletedUser34939

Nori, we have mods now for every market. If inno merged the servers and added an option to select the language the game displays in then support tickets etc should go to a game mod who came from a market in which that language is spoken. It really wouldn't be too hard.

I've played games like this for decades and back in the day there were never separate servers for different languages. People from all over the world played on the same servers so you'd have dutch speakers and german speakers and english speakers. It works just fine and makes the game a lot more dynamic.

DeletedUser55069

Everyday communication is too important in Grepolis, players who don't speak the official language(s) can not enjoy the game on same level - even with a built-in translator it is not the same experience - many players would be alienated who have no issues on their local market.
Most markets have never started a world without nightbonus that comes with certain advantages: worlds are less spoiled by spam, more sleep, higher chance for beginners to survive. Often servers last longer because enough players still enjoy them even after wonders (for example a German world will reach 3 years soon).
Other problems raised: time zone difference, potential performance issues.

Some say language selection for international server is unnecessary because players who want to play on EN market already have good English skills or some even question whether English is the right official language...
If this proposal would come from non-English speaking markets that would be different, but probably not far-fetched to say it doesn't reflect the needs of the majority of Grepolis players. We have 23 markets (including Beta and EN), EN has a small share of players if you look at the bigger picture.
There should be better ideas how to increase activity on EN without killing the game on other markets.

DeletedUser41523

Nope. 107 is pretty much the last one. Heck you were in Dyme, you saw how little effort was invested there on my end.

Language: We've made it work before. Check out Alpha, Beta, and Gamma on Grepolis maps and see how full they were. Then try telling me they're all Americans and English players. There doesn't need to be an official language. Just various things posted in the major ones. English, French, German, and Spanish. Maybe a Balkan and Italian one too. Just about everyone in the core group of players can read one of those languages.

Performance: The world is player capped based on speed. So a 3 speed can handle about 20k players at once. Even on a full on merge, there won't be 20k active players on a world unless Inno pulled a Rhammus and waited 6 months in between release.

Time Zone: Currently En includes Europe, East Coast US, Central US, Mountain US, West Coast US, Australia, and even Korean time zones. They end up being okay. It balances out. With the exception of the Korean alliance, most teams have people from all these time zones and from different languages, I kid you not, we were using google translate to talk to two Georgians in my alliance in 107. Heck the fact that I have to stay on guard at all times excites me and makes the competition more fun. I'd love more of it.

Think about it, I assume everyone in council wants the best for the game. How long can the game go on as it is? Even with pretty good changes. Inno is finally putting the effort in to build a better game. This would take inno to the next level.

DeletedUser34939

the idea wouldn’t be that EN stays and everything else goes. EN gets deleted too and everything gets reformed under a single market. I don’t care if the primary language is German or Russian or Swahili as long as I can choose a setting to see it in English. Wouldn’t be hard to do just have an option to choose a language when you first create an account or join a server.

It could give more variety on servers. Night Bonus on/off and for varying amount of time and durations. One server could have no night bonus and the next could have a 4 hr long night bonus every 12 hrs.

While I like the idea of a server merger I don’t think even that will help if they don’t update the game. The game has gotten sooo repetitive. At this point we’re just repeating a formula over and over again. Domination won’t be enough to change that. We need a real update. New buildings or bigger buildings or new Gods or spells or units or something that could shake up day to day play without making it too complicated.

I would also like $1mil and a flying unicorn please.

DeletedUser41523

I was thinking maybe making the hero world researches and whether Herc is enabled or not a setting too? Then you can't chuck myth nukes at everything without favor farming.

DeletedUser34939

I’d prefer additions or swap outs over removing aspects of the game but it’s so stale I’d settle for locking a few things out as a way to switch it up.

DeletedUser55069

You guys really underestimate the struggle that comes with language barriers. I’m not a native speaker, for me it was always a choice to play on foreign servers and I wanted to make it work, yet there were times when all efforts failed. I played as diplo on German server with a premade 2x the alliance cap, after 2 months only 3 players were left... just like most these national teams disappear here too and leave nice big cities behind. I had chance to play in a French elite team where all players used translator only to help me. I didn’t know a single Fench word. These are wonderful stories but the truth is it’s real struggle... especially now that most communication goes on mobile and more and more game time is spent on app. It requires too much energy to keep the non-speakers in the game, you can not recruit the closest players because not everyone is willing to use translator. This is a dream for you, nightmare for players who don’t speak English. Exactly the same if you tried to play on a French or German server without being fluent speaker. It is not the English players who you need to ask or convince about this. Same like if French players would say they have the biggest market (fact) and want to merge every other markets and have French as official language. What would you say?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser55069

To be constructive... without big changes it would be super easy to shake up International server.
Announce competition between markets ~Grepolis Cup once a year.
Alliances, players would pick a nationality / market that they represent by registration. The members of best teams could use the rewards (gold, war package...) on that represented market.
If the rewards are good/special enough it would not only motivate markets to create premades but to keep their teams alive, no way a whole market could not replace the quitters, even the smallest markets if they had the right motivation, therefore language barriers would be less relevant. Teams that survived until the end of the world could also get something for participation. Best part is this would not ruin the local markets since the players would also have to return home to use the boosts that they won. Local markets could function more as training worlds for the bigger international competition like how it's supposed to be...

DeletedUser41656

Excuses! 2 things are sure in grepo: there's always another event and another TSF premade. Les lapins de pique-nique or Picknickhasen?

Picknickhasen pretty please.

Molinilo is right. Merging wont do any good. Would make more players quit.

I would start advertising. And again, much more advertising. If this fails, then merge servers, and let the game run for 5 more years, then stop developing it, and move onto a new one.

Rachel.L

Phrourach
To be constructive... without big changes it would be super easy to shake up International server.
Announce competition between markets ~Grepolis Cup once a year.
Alliances, players would pick a nationality / market that they represent by registration. The members of best teams could use the rewards (gold, war package...) on that represented market.

i think this idea was floated several years ago
the best of the best from each market were going head to head in a buy-in server for bragging rights
so only the "big boys" would be allowed and the battles would be epic, blah, blah
never happened; too much work or not enough interest
instead they came up with the promise of an anniversary event which eventually became the 1.0 server
believe this was international, based off the beta forum, as they only wanted to code once not on every market
once they got enough space for all the ppl who wanted to play so everyone could log in without lag, there were peeps from everywhere
sev ppl above were very involved so i'm, sure they'll correct me

DeletedUser41523

A Grepo cup might work if it's hosted in an entirely different server (gold purposes). Maybe one world each season that covers fast and slow conq/revolt. I can see about drawing up an idea for it and everyone adding onto it. The question is should a benefit be reiceved for winning and if so what benefit would be received from winning it?

They'd still need to announce things like settings in different languages.

I do think advertising is needed. Hell I found this game by a web ad. Especially for a cup or even another throw back world. Promotion makes a difference.

Edit: There was a 6/6 throwback server last summer before Tegea. It drew a lot more interest than expected. They had to put a player cap on the server as the player count was more than support could handle. I'd take that as a sign that something like a tournament event would have some serious interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34939

You guys really underestimate the struggle that comes with language barriers. I’m not a native speaker, for me it was always a choice to play on foreign servers and I wanted to make it work, yet there were times when all efforts failed. I played as diplo on German server with a premade 2x the alliance cap, after 2 months only 3 players were left... just like most these national teams disappear here too and leave nice big cities behind. I had chance to play in a French elite team where all players used translator only to help me. I didn’t know a single Fench word. These are wonderful stories but the truth is it’s real struggle... especially now that most communication goes on mobile and more and more game time is spent on app. It requires too much energy to keep the non-speakers in the game, you can not recruit the closest players because not everyone is willing to use translator. This is a dream for you, nightmare for players who don’t speak English. Exactly the same if you tried to play on a French or German server without being fluent speaker. It is not the English players who you need to ask or convince about this. Same like if French players would say they have the biggest market (fact) and want to merge every other markets and have French as official language. What would you say?

I get what you're saying but why do we have to have an official language at all? Why not just 1 giant market where all languages are represented? Let the game display in whatever language the player chooses. Important forum posts can be posted with a spoiler in each language so you only need to open the one you can read or even keep completely different forums by language. The forums have been dead for 5 years already anyway.

If servers fill up with a proportionate amount of players from each market as we have now then we might have 3 EN teams, 2 US team, 4 FR teams, 3 DE teams etc all in the top 12 of a single server and not 1 runaway favorite by the end of the second month of the server. That would mean there are also 8 or so half decent alliances from each market in the mix. It would make for some truly eventful servers.