Get Domination Right

DeletedUser41523

Hey so I've been thinking domination sounds fun. But there's honestly a way to make it a lot better.

Remake Grepolis into one international server. This would make getting control of the map a lot more difficult and add depth to the world. It'd be more of an achievement to win worlds and the battles on most worlds would be great. There'd be a meaningful top 12 again and worlds would be filled with people. Especially if Inno ran advertisements for the new feature.

To do this right, Inno should figure out a way so that everyone's gold transfers to the international server this way nobody is taking a loss in the transfer.

DeletedUser55849

No, people want to play against their own countrymen and have their own timezone.

This is supposed to be the international server (no night bonus) and people from all over are already playing right?

DeletedUser31931

As Albus points out, this is the international server. All you're asking inno to do are to shut down the other 21 sets of servers which are currently profitable for them.

DeletedUser41523

Yeah I am saying shut down the others and merge them into a new one. This also is the En/UK server it also used to be split with US before the US got its own server in 2012. It's just taken as international because a lot of different players play here. But if you look at the grepolife flag and grepolismaps flag, it's very clearly England. I'm saying we should have one server that promotes a massive competition on every world. Rather than the same few teams facing off over and over.

Other servers are also dying and some at this point are dead content (see the US server). The move would grow the worlds we have and keep people interested.

DeletedUser54965

i agree with dan and disagree with tusc, US servers are dead, and boring every world, as for competition nothing compared to EN, i feel inno would move in the right direction with this move... although its whatever for me lul i only got a year of playing left

DeletedUser41523

I mean, the US servers are much better than most of the others; they're well above average if we are talking number of active players.

Which is exactly why it's time to bring it down to one server and allow gold to transfer. The US is pretty dead. Conq wise it has one good team. Revolt can be argued the same as well. And it's declining quickly. Trust me, I spent the last few years on it. It's gone down hill pretty fast.

So inno has a choice. Make an end game change that's 4-5 years too late for most servers and likely won't grow their dying servers. Or completely shake up the environment and add a new element for everyone.

DeletedUser49993

As Albus points out, this is the international server. All you're asking inno to do are to shut down the other 21 sets of servers which are currently profitable for them.
Well if all servers merged into one the competition would be on another level. Competition means that more gold will be used. Why should I use gold on a boring server with 300 people? We would have worlds with atleast 20+ decent teams and action in rim aswell. Ofc gold transfer would have to be possible and IG would have to promote it. Maybe in combination with the new endgame?

Language shouldnt be a big issue. Dont think it would be difficult to install different options for that. Biggest problem i see is the night bonus. Many players love their nb. All options would have pro and cons. No NB, NB in european timezone, individual NB etc

DeletedUser55069

Damn you take every chance to promote the server merge idea... so wrong to use domination as slogan!
Domination is exactly a perfect solution for small markets' issues because the endgame can kick in when there is still competition and doesn't require that increased level of activity like wonders, works on less popular worlds too.

+ few facts:
Active Players on FR Servers :27269
Active Players on EN Servers :19355
Active Players on DE Servers :18605

(from grepoinfo.com)

It would be good to provide multilanguage option for the International (EN) server but not by closing any other market.

As for gold trade between markets, gold has different price depending on your location, that can be an issue...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser41523

No it's really not. Having a massive bloodbath and struggle to win sounds a lot more fun this is done by activity and depth. And it would still come down to a massive activity push as it is anyways. In most situations the most active team is gonna win fights and expand fastest.

And there's no promises that domination alone fixes the activity problems. The US isn't going to suddenly repopulate because the end game changed. It peaked at Actium and has died slowly since.

You listed the top 3 servers active players as an example but all I'm seeing are numbers that are way down from previous years. As I said, the same teams fighting in a different end game alone won't make much a difference in the end it'll maybe buy an extra year or two. But a complete shake up and better fights can make a big difference.

DeletedUser55069

Maybe join FR server for massive bloodbath if EN is not enough... :p
Would it be fun without knowing French? I doubt... so why force others to play only international worlds? Those who want more fun, bloodbath... and bother with translations are already here.

US servers biggest problem is the time zone difference and the more expensive gold for non-US players. Everyone loves their sleep. It's not surprising that less Euro players want to keep up with getting beaten nights and pay more while they can have relative peace and similar prices -fair competition- on international server. I assume that's why US can not work more as international market in its own time zone either. Just ask an English, Russian and US player how much they pay for same gold... it explains why most players stick to their markets.

DeletedUser41523

That doesn't make sense.

Language barriers tend not to make a big difference as everyone has google translate. Hell I've talked to the Koreans and Georgians with that. Wanting a better a competition and larger server where there's more dynamic isn't wrong. Definitely is a step up from 107 where our main competition either died from internal issues or went to 109 and the new one has most its frontline vs us in VM now.

Your Euro argument is just wrong. I've recruited for premades in the US. EN players don't want to jump over due to the fact that the US doesn't have much a challenge and they're wasting their time by doing so. It's like trying to convince someone to transfer from Harvard to Arizona State. When you actually get a decent group of EN players to commit, they tend to just wax everyone. A lot of the top EN players are Americans. And as you said, there's a lot of different players here. You're already getting attacked from different time zones.

The US also isn't dead because EN players refuse to play it. It's dead because it has activity issues as it never drew a great base and serves more as a last chance for players who got banned here. A lot of US players actually jump to EN due to the slow death of US.

DeletedUser31931

Language barriers tend not to make a big difference as everyone has google translate.
It's a pain for players to use google translate. Players don't want to have to bother with this hassle when they are playing a game for their own enjoyment.

So let me ask you this. If the en server and fr server merged, what language would be used? The french server has more active players, so it would actually make more sense that french would be the server language, but of course you just assume that it would be English, because this is your language and so everyone must merge into it and use what you speak.

The US also isn't dead because EN players refuse to play it. It's dead because it has activity issues as it never drew a great base and serves more as a last chance for players who got banned here.
And still you continue to embarrass yourself with these random "facts" you come up with. For well over a year, the US server had more players than even the international server did, thanks in large part to inno's TV advertisements. Do you research nothing before you attack others and spout this nonsense....?

DeletedUser54965

Damn you take every chance to promote the server merge idea... so wrong to use domination as slogan!
Domination is exactly a perfect solution for small markets' issues because the endgame can kick in when there is still competition and doesn't require that increased level of activity like wonders, works on less popular worlds too.

+ few facts:
Active Players on FR Servers :27269
Active Players on EN Servers :19355
Active Players on DE Servers :18605

(from grepoinfo.com)

It would be good to provide multilanguage option for the International (EN) server but not by closing any other market.

As for gold trade between markets, gold has different price depending on your location, that can be an issue...

those numbers are the 175 point citie you wait for to disappear while you can found.

DeletedUser31931

those numbers are the 175 point citie you wait for to disappear while you can found.
Every city has a similar proportion of them though. I think morg was pointing out the relative sizes of the servers more than the specific count.

DeletedUser43325

Your point here is much more of an institutional one than it is domination specific. Really it has nothing to do with domination. You think the game would be better if they merged all servers. As someone whose first server was en1, I can't say I disagree. We made it work back then despite language barriers, it's silly to think it can't work now. However, I don't really see how tailoring that point specifically to domination makes a whole lot of sense. You have a Grepolis council, despite how useless and "token" that entire situation is. My guess is that the best way of bringing this to Inno is through them, if they ever decide to do anything.

DeletedUser34939

This should absolutely be done. How hard would it be for inno to code a language option into settings so that a player can get the game displayed in whatever language they want regardless of server?

The game is dying and it will die faster the longer we stay isolated in smaller groups. Merging all markets will create so many new opportunities for the community to grow and infuse new life into it. Couple that with a real update (add units or gods or buildings or SOMETHING to change up the game) and a marketing blitz and maybe we'll still have a game to play in 5 years.

DeletedUser41523

@Tusc2010

1) So we can't post settings and announcements in the major languages and use spoilers and bold text to direct them to said languages? Man seems like a ridiculous end to an idea to boost the game.

2) When? I've spent a lot of the last 5 years in the US servers between EN worlds. Trust me, the level of activity is different and a lot of those total players were dead accounts and guest accounts. With the exception of Actium, there wasn't really a comparison to EN servers in overall activity, most top US teams would have gotten waxed by a top 5 EN team from any competitive world. Also Inno stopped using TV ads in 2014 or 2015. Around this time the US declined quickly and the EN server is still going. So...its still kinda dead content and I don't see it improving with domination alone. Though an ad campaign might help

@Miknel I suppose you're right about me meaning it as the game working better. But I see domination as a Grepo 3.0 in a way and a fresh start. Its a new chance and could be a very positive change with a lot of hype. So I think around that time of release, it deserves the quality competition its trying to promote. It'd be fun to have a full world with a meaningful top 12 and good teams beyond the top 12 vying for control and to win.

To Everyone: I just want to make a point. WW or domination, how fun is it going to be fighting the same groups over and over? There definitely needs to be a change and an attempt to get back to the player counts and world growth rates that we had in earlier years.

This end game is a good start, ads would be a nice addition too. But we need something more and the interest and ability is there. I mean come on, last year we had a throw back server that was 6/6 speed and international. It was overflowing and had to be player capped due to overhwelming demand and server crashing from high use. The mods themselves admitted the turnout was beyond expectations.

DeletedUser55069

It’s not only coding. If you are not fluent in the official language of a market it can be a huge setback, requires more time and provides way less fun which you probably can’t imagine without trying a server like that. I mean try real hard, play more months... I’ve done that and know the difference.

If it is so boring to play against same teams over and over why don’t you make a premade from top EN players and take them to the bigger French or to the same size German market? Optional language setting of the game interface could help you in recruiting more players, but would your team last on a foreign server?
If you ever take this challenge @The Smilodon Fatalis, count me in :p

Players want to influence the game, be able to use forums, interact with others without difficulties and use the support system.
Spoilers are fine, but server merge is nonsense - could potentially lead to more quitting on global level.