Rejected Get rid of the attack alarm/outside notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser39031

First, if you had seen my earlier post you would have seen the realism. I compared the alarm to an advisor or someone like that. Let's say you actually controlled a city. Suddenly, your advisor or whoever is alerted of an incoming attack. He would most likely wake you up and warn you. I know I would. If you were the advisor would you think, 'Oh it would be unfair to the enemy wake him up so I'll just let him sleep'?
They already have something like that which is two swords, it allows you to discover an attack if your online, if your offline, you shouldn't have a notification pop-up.

Second, when has the defending and attacking system of this game been perfectly balanced?
It hasn't, defenders have a huge advantage and as I said in the earlier post, the only advantage an attacker can have that the defender can't is surprise. With the alarm there is no chance of that. I am saying the online/offline system is very well balanced. Not attacking vs defending because it's awfully in favor of the defender, which to some extent, it has to be. Tripwires, walls, towers, researches, militia etc. are all intended to work when your offline as well as online.

Third, the attack alarm doesn't magically make your buildings and troops construct faster. It doesn't hire you a captain, high priestess, merchant, commander, or administrator. It doesn't allow you to extend spells. It doesn't fund Olympic games. It's as available to me as gold is.
You would only have to rebuild/cut troops times if you need to rebuild what was a costly defend/attack. But seeing how the alarm is made it gives some users the ability to never lose much but keep the attackers having to rebuild constantly. As for the merchant/administrator they are of no relevance to this topic because happiness is better than the merchant and the admin is not really needed, but the other three work in favor of both the defender/attacker so I don't really see how it's an issue. Spell extensions? I don't really see how that's unfair seeing you can't extend external spells (i.e. Lightning bolt, quake). The olympic games is also of very limited relevance to this as they don't give much of an advantage, there are plenty of ways to get CP.

As for the sports relevance, I know for a fact that sports are never fair, no matter how well the organiser tries to hide it :p

DeletedUser30636

There's already to much advantage to the defender now, this would at least add some balance

DeletedUser

They already have something like that which is two swords, it allows you to discover an attack if your online, if your offline, you shouldn't have a notification pop-up.

It hasn't, defenders have a huge advantage and as I said in the earlier post, the only advantage an attacker can have that the defender can't is surprise. With the alarm there is no chance of that. I am saying the online/offline system is very well balanced. Not attacking vs defending because it's awfully in favor of the defender, which to some extent, it has to be. Tripwires, walls, towers, researches, militia etc. are all intended to work when your offline as well as online.

You would only have to rebuild/cut troops times if you need to rebuild what was a costly defend/attack. But seeing how the alarm is made it gives some users the ability to never lose much but keep the attackers having to rebuild constantly. As for the merchant/administrator they are of no relevance to this topic because happiness is better than the merchant and the admin is not really needed, but the other three work in favor of both the defender/attacker so I don't really see how it's an issue. Spell extensions? I don't really see how that's unfair seeing you can't extend external spells (i.e. Lightning bolt, quake). The olympic games is also of very limited relevance to this as they don't give much of an advantage, there are plenty of ways to get CP.

As for the sports relevance, I know for a fact that sports are never fair, no matter how well the organiser tries to hide it :p

First off, yes there is that. This is just your 'advisor' warning you when you're awake.

Second, have you perhaps thought that defensives like turtles and such add challenge to the game? If it was all offense, this game would be a sports car drive through the park.

How does this alarm effect the value of DLU always? Let's say I wake up at 3:07 in the morning to this alarm. I rush on to try and stop it. Now three things can happen. First, my allies are luckily awake and have support in close range. Second, my allies are awake but do not have support close range meaning the cs lands before support arrives. Now if the offense planned it right, their cs could have support before my allies assist me. Third, I could be unlucky and none of my allies are awake and I'm out of luck. The enemy has plenty of time to support the siege.

As for the sports reference, the idea of the game is fair so the theory still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser39031

First off, yes there is that. This is just your 'advisor' warning you when you're awake.

Second, have you perhaps thought that defensives like turtles and such add challenge to the game? If it was all offense, this game would be a sports car drive through the park.

How does this alarm effect the value of DLU always? Let's say I wake up at 3:07 in the morning to this alarm. I rush on to try and stop it. Now three things can happen. First, my allies are luckily awake and have support in close range. Second, my allies are awake but do not have support close range meaning the cs lands before support arrives. Now if the offense planned it right, their cs could have support before my allies assist me. Third, I could be unlucky and none of my allies are awake and I'm out of luck. The enemy has plenty of time to support the siege.

As for the sports reference, the idea of the game is fair so the theory still stands.
Ok, are we talking conquest or revolt???

DeletedUser

Oh good point. I'm thinking conquest as I am a conquest guy.. I suppose I'll have to concede if revolt is the option.

DeletedUser39031

Oh good point. I'm thinking conquest as I am a conquest guy.. I suppose I'll have to concede if revolt is the option.
I was thinking revolt lol :) Your completely right for conquest worlds

DeletedUser10962

First, if you had seen my earlier post you would have seen the realism. I compared the alarm to an advisor or someone like that. Let's say you actually controlled a city. Suddenly, your advisor or whoever is alerted of an incoming attack. He would most likely wake you up and warn you. I know I would. If you were the advisor would you think, 'Oh it would be unfair to the enemy wake him up so I'll just let him sleep'?

Second, when has the defending and attacking system of this game been perfectly balanced?

Third, the attack alarm doesn't magically make your buildings and troops construct faster. It doesn't hire you a captain, high priestess, merchant, commander, or administrator. It doesn't allow you to extend spells. It doesn't fund Olympic games. It's as available to me as gold is.

Fourth, explain? I can use wisdom on an attack, that doesn't make my DLU any less useful.

Fifth, I never compared the two. I'm not concerned with fairness but I used examples of fairness for your benefit. Here might be a good example. The world generally is unfair yet when a game of some sort, basketball, soccer, etc., there are rules to ensure 'fairness'. It's a fair game being played in an unfair world.

You've experienced the app? I haven't yet I am opposed to the idea. If someone's siege is stopped due to the alarm I think, 'Tough luck.'

First - This advisor would surely wake you when the ships were approaching not when they are launched the attack alarm is akin to their being radiant sunshine all day long to light up the horizon so see the ships are coming towards you when they are launched. If you the player is asleep then it is surely night time at your polis and hence you can't see the ships on the horizon so easily so at the least the attack alarm should only go off when the attack is 30mins away or so.

Second - no-one is claiming that it was ever perfectly balanced it has always been in favour of the defender, to get it slight less so would be a better balance.

Third - the attack alarm gives you time as so allows you to stack biremes in your harbour giving you a much better kill ratio than you would otherwise and often results in the sinking of a large number of transports and troops.

Fourth - Makes LDU useless because you stack biremes instead, the only real reason for LDU is to stack them behind a high wall at an at risk city. If you're defending an incoming bunch of land attacks a bireme stack is infinitely better as you just sink the transports and all the troops in them.

Fifth - It's not an issue of fairness as much as balance at the moment it is far too easy to defend and it turns servers into a simmers paradise.

I have had many attacks thwarted due to the alarm and the worst thing is that it again is skewed in favour of the defender. If you have a city under siege if you are online you can check and reguarly see if attack are inbound to your siege. Does the alarm go off when you're asleep to let you know that attacks are incoming to your siege? Of course not

DeletedUser

First, fourth, and third. If that was your case then perhaps all attack warnings should be removed. If your gonna to get rid of one ridiculous alarm, get rid of the other. The attack alarm is about as fair as the regular online alarm, in theory.

Second and fifth. It would appear that it is a matter of fairness. You're looking at this as an attacker. You want to get rid of it so that your sieges aren't stopped. You more or less think it's unfair when the alarm stops your siege.

DeletedUser10962

So you believe that there should be no disadvantage at any time and should recieve all attack warnings at the same time. It's stupid, being at your pc logged on is equivalent to it being day time and so you can see attacks comings. Being on your phone is like night time and hence you shouldn't be able to see attacks incoming from as far out. You can keep the alarm but it should activate when the ships are say an hour out not when launched.

I'm looking at it as an experienced player who is fed up of the fact that if you turtle up even when your city gets taken you get enough culture for 2 more whereas the attacker gets sweet fa. I don't think the defender needs anymore advantages. I don't think it's so much about the sieges solid siege attacks often cannot be stopped. What it's a lot more about is the way it bails careless players out of trouble because they don't need to hid their LS at night or move Land attack units at night as their phone will go off and let them know they are at risk. Also it's ludicrous that the person running a siege doesn't get an alarm to alert them to incoming attacks to the siege even though the defender gets that advantage.

DeletedUser

Honestly I like the idea of the alarm. What difference does it make if you have the app? If you have a competent alliance you can completely bypass the alarm and make your own, and then players without smartphones are still at the same disadvantage.

Step 1: Change your settings so that upon receiving messages you get an email
Step 2: Alliance members send support to your island
Step 3: Upon getting attacked your online members are alerted and can send you a message
Step 4: receive e-mail, Click on the app, and take appropriate action.

If you really want to know when you are being attacked when you are not online, there are ways to do it. It's not just the app that gives an advantage to players. Honestly I think the app levels the playing field if anything. If you can't be online 24/7 then you are able to still have a fighting chance when a totally dominating and active player wants to launch an attack at you. At least now you have the option of dodging and not being totally obliterated.

DeletedUser

Honestly I like the idea of the alarm. What difference does it make if you have the app? If you have a competent alliance you can completely bypass the alarm and make your own, and then players without smartphones are still at the same disadvantage.

Step 1: Change your settings so that upon receiving messages you get an email
Step 2: Alliance members send support to your island
Step 3: Upon getting attacked your online members are alerted and can send you a message
Step 4: receive e-mail, Click on the app, and take appropriate action.

If you really want to know when you are being attacked when you are not online, there are ways to do it. It's not just the app that gives an advantage to players. Honestly I think the app levels the playing field if anything. If you can't be online 24/7 then you are able to still have a fighting chance when a totally dominating and active player wants to launch an attack at you. At least now you have the option of dodging and not being totally obliterated.

The Skype bot is also a way that people can see your being attacked, on thebes, as soon as we saw someone get more then 100 DBP we would message the player and/or do a harbor check.

DeletedUser41495

what about being able to set up a text alert system for the users who dont have smartphones?
before i got my smartphone i set it up on facebook where if someone posted a status to my wall or added a photo of me i would get a text saying xxx has posted ..................... to your wall.
I think that would solve the issue

DeletedUser

what about being able to set up a text alert system for the users who dont have smartphones?
before i got my smartphone i set it up on facebook where if someone posted a status to my wall or added a photo of me i would get a text saying xxx has posted ..................... to your wall.
I think that would solve the issue

i believe this thread was about getting rid of the attack alarm... not adding more alerts lol

DeletedUser

That is the point though. Getting rid of the attack alarm would be pointless because there are so many ways to get around it and set up your own alarm. By taking away the in game alarm, you make it so the playing field favors the player with the determination to set up their own alarm system.

As of now anyone can get alerts. In the future if this were removed only specific players would have an alarm in place. The in game alarm evens the playing field for everyone.

DeletedUser41495

i believe this thread was about getting rid of the attack alarm... not adding more alerts lol
The main reason that this was set up was because it gave an unfair advantage to people with smartphones, I use the app and its great. Using a text alert system would even the playing field completely.

DeletedUser23986

I believe once the developers of game used the wall as a measure to balance element of surprise. All alarms were banned on the moment. Players were banned for using scripts which generated alarm. Then all of a sudden they think, oh, we see, we have more defenders and simmers in the game. Why not to favour them a little. So they add the alarm.

DeletedUser39847

Removal of phone alarm

Proposal: I propose to remove the phone app alarm.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Yes I have
Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested? Possibly but too many pages to look at.

Reason:Not everyone has a device that supports the phone app. I myself have a smartphone but won't run the app so in turn this means that not everyone has access to it and if not everyone has access why should only some?

It would also bring back an element to the game of excitement and to require more thought to succeed.

Details: Just remove the phone alarm.

Visual Aids: N/A

Balance: If anything it would balance the in-balance.

Abuse Prevention: It would become a ban-able script again.

Summary: To remove the phone alarm and bring some balance and excitement back .

Status
Not open for further replies.