Rejected Get rid of the attack alarm/outside notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser5819

No, I didn't miss your point, but I guess i should have put in my list that if you buy/choose/can afford to buy a smartphone that supports the app. Its the same principle as if you have or can afford a smartphone.

Same as if you can afford to buy a lappy that runs fast, or can afford to buy decent internet, or can afford to but choose not to.

Before I got an ipad I checked I could play grepo on it. Sad but true, but i wasn't going to waste the money on a portable computerish thing that I could not use for the thing I would want a portable computerish thing for.

Your third paragraph seems to indicate you think the alarm is more of an advantage than premium. I completely disagree. I don't think anything gives as much of an advantage as premium can give. The alarm doesnt even come close.

Any of your arguments about balance apply way more to premium than the alarm.

DeletedUser

I totally agree with this idea. The phone-alarm has ruined the game. You dont have to be active to do good anymore. All you have to do is a great wall and lots of defence, and with the app no one can take you out. The defenders have enough bonuses all ready. And no one can say that the phone-alarm isn't a defensive bonus.

The attackers prime-time in grepolis seems to be further and further away.

DeletedUser27700

So, umm, this is awkward.
The other idea for this was just bumped, so this thread shouldn't exist. Soooo, I'll just merge the two.

Let the squabbling continue!

DeletedUser23986

Unlike the opposite when you can catch someone offline where it becomes easy. Thus in perspective having an alarm challenges both parties and makes the game more competitive overall. Just my two cents, I'm for it.
It does only challenge the attacker. The reason there is a wall which gives over 150% bonus was to balance the element of surprise. building time of birs are much lesser than that of ls. defender has an edge in all spheres. The element of surprise balances it.

As for the arguements about premium, both attacker and defender can use them. How many players will decline that there has been a decline in attacks, or increase in simming?

Last edited:

DeletedUser5819

It is not all for the defender. Spells and rewards for attack/defence bonus can be cast at the time of attack, but much more rarely at the time of defence.

Agreed, players who can use prem can do so in both attack and defence, but used in answer to the (2nd) Op's point that s/he cannot use the alarm because the phone they have chosen to buy doesn't support it, not everyone can get premium, just like not everyone can or chooses to get particular hardware or internet options which might help their grepoplay.

I still maintain that a little opping or faking action will quickly undo most who use the alarm. It is not like a 20% fighting strength bonus, or half a nuke in half an hour (that may be an exaggeration) or 50% more favor. A little teamwork will quickly wear down someone who wakes every time the alarm goes off. Try it. I guarantee that 2 weeks with no sleep period over 2hrs will overcome your alarm problem.

DeletedUser23986

It is not all for the defender. Spells and rewards for attack/defence bonus can be cast at the time of attack, but much more rarely at the time of defence.

Agreed, players who can use prem can do so in both attack and defence, but used in answer to the (2nd) Op's point that s/he cannot use the alarm because the phone they have chosen to buy doesn't support it, not everyone can get premium, just like not everyone can or chooses to get particular hardware or internet options which might help their grepoplay.
Everyone cannot get premium or app. I agree. But lets ignore that point. let us talk about ONLY THOSE who can get it. Who does the app(especially alarm) favor? Attacker or defender? Defender ofcourse.

As for the spells, i agree. But which spells are stronger? heroic power or favorable wind which affect only land or naval, or desire which affects both. Also sea storm and zeus rage give much bigger benefits.

A little teamwork will quickly wear down someone who wakes every time the alarm goes off.
It may weardown some, but not all. The alarm has reduced the benefits one gets from being active. If you cannot catch your enemies offline, how do you expect to be able to take their cities without massive losses. It results in defender being able to stack town, and more people being motivated to turtle.

Alarm has seriously damaged the balance between the attacker and the defender. The defender gets much more advantage now.

DeletedUser5819

A little off topic, but whoever it was that just +repped me

"Thread: Get rid of the attack alarm on the phone app

arrogant
"

May need to study the rep options more closely :D
Unless that was meant as a compliment.

I respect your argument Hasan. I admit the defensive vs offensive balance is not something I have studied myself, only read other's opinions on, and most opinions seem to align with yours.

The wearing down the unsleeping though I speak from bitter experience on TW ;)

DeletedUser

Yes the alarm does benefit the defender and yes it makes things harder for offense if you consider going against walls / bireme rebuilding time etc. But that's the game right? Having a takeover or clearing troops is not supposed to be easy, its supposed to be hard. I'm for it because the alarm calls for something greater than knowing when you're attacked, it calls for more action from a player or players. It calls for more coordination and more game play over all. Having no alarm removes competition, how will there be a competition if one side does not know about an attempt that is being made? Then if you remove alarm you'll have competitive players who will start to glue themselves to their computers more just so they don't lose a city. Then if you were to calculate everything over all you will have players that will spend more time on Grepolis and lose time for other productive activities.

I'm not saying you're wrong Hassan, your arguments are true and I myself can vouch for it. I just think that this app makes the game more exciting if an enemy had to take another ones city. It makes it hard to take a city but that's what life is right, if the action is hard, it means it is rewarding.

In the end, lets face it nobody is going to change their mind on the forums. No matter what point you make or I make you'll read, you'll think, you'll reply and fight for your point. Lets just agree to disagree, after all life always has its good sides and bad. Nothing is perfect. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25249

I made an analogy in a skype convo, it went like this "If you are swimming in the ocean a shark doesn't give you a heads up that it will eat your leg in 24 mins, it just attacks and you know all about it when it happens" this is how i feel about grepolis too.
I like the phone app, but think that the alert can be taken away for better gaming, but i think ill be waiting way to long for that outcome.

DeletedUser5819

I was going to ask if that means it passes the "more like RL test" but then inspiration hit.

The alarm should be changed to a function of the Oracle, giving an audible (or buzz) alarm on anything logged into when an attack is <5 hours (or some other number of hours) out.

This would have the dual function of being available to anyone able to stay logged in within earshot of a machine capable of giving an alarm without waking their partner or alerting their boss

And

Allowing the Oracle to cease to be the least special special building out there.

DeletedUser

it would male the oracle worth while. (atleast would make it less of a waste.)

DeletedUser23986

Having a takeover or clearing troops is not supposed to be easy, its supposed to be hard. I'm for it because the alarm calls for something greater than knowing when you're attacked, it calls for more action from a player or players. It calls for more coordination and more game play over all. Having no alarm removes competition, how will there be a competition if one side does not know about an attempt that is being made?

I'm not saying you're wrong Hassan, your arguments are true and I myself can vouch for it. I just think that this app makes the game more exciting if an enemy had to take another ones city. It makes it hard to take a city but that's what life is right, if the action is hard, it means it is rewarding.

there are limits beyond which difficulty will become irritating. You don't want to kill 3k birs to take any red city(especially in revolt worlds). Alarm doesn't count for more action from all players, it calls for attackers having to work even harder. It reduces the cordination from defender's sides, as trips lose their value. No alarm won't remove competition. Each side will be able to know about attempt even if not immediately. There is 12 hr revolt time, or 8/12hrs siege time. If a player can't log in for that long enough, then its his fault.

The game is not going to be exciting if all players start getting motivated towards defense. As i said, already defenders/turtles have increased.

DeletedUser27700

I was going to ask if that means it passes the "more like RL test" but then inspiration hit.

The alarm should be changed to a function of the Oracle, giving an audible (or buzz) alarm on anything logged into when an attack is <5 hours (or some other number of hours) out.

This would have the dual function of being available to anyone able to stay logged in within earshot of a machine capable of giving an alarm without waking their partner or alerting their boss

And

Allowing the Oracle to cease to be the least special special building out there.

Oracle is going the way of the dodo though

DeletedUser42407

I have the attack alarm on my phone but I find it annoying not useful.

DeletedUser37948

basically all the alarm does is make it more difficult to catch players offline. such a massive thread with so much debate because some players don't like the fact they cant catch people off line.

imo its more of an issue on conquest servers where catching players offline is a massive part of the game :(

still imo this whole debate is a bit lame, I know this wont be a popular post but I think the addition of the alarm just forces individuals and alliances to be more organised in attacking.
in essence the alarm removes an easy option and forces players to use more advanced tactics.

keep the alarm and adapt your tactics that's what any real life tactician / general when faced with a change in circumstances would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.