Rejected Get rid of the attack alarm/outside notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser39847

The new challenge is catching the players when their phone has run out of battery ;) :D

Thane Badger

Phrourach
13 pages and the point is still lost.

The phone app only works on certain phones and the alarm doesn't even work on a PC. So I can go to sleep with a phone that will alert me of an attack but that won't happen with my PC.

So it IS about who buys the right phone and nothing to do with anything else.

DeletedUser

basically all the alarm does is make it more difficult to catch players offline. such a massive thread with so much debate because some players don't like the fact they cant catch people off line.

imo its more of an issue on conquest servers where catching players offline is a massive part of the game :(

still imo this whole debate is a bit lame, I know this wont be a popular post but I think the addition of the alarm just forces individuals and alliances to be more organised in attacking.
in essence the alarm removes an easy option and forces players to use more advanced tactics.

keep the alarm and adapt your tactics that's what any real life tactician / general when faced with a change in circumstances would do.
The problem then is if you keep the alarm you must get rid of the anti-timer quotient.

In defence, if you do it right, you negate the anti-timer quotient. In attack you have no such option, As a defender with alarm It is possible for me to do a 500ms snipe on something (assuming server lag is 0), meaning I can easily cut my opponants attacks. My opponant has no such luck and has to rely on the luck of the draw for landing his attacks within 1500ms of each other. Fortunately for me I don't have to worry about being caught out as I have the alarm, and will know if anyone is attacking me long enough to ensure that even a 1 second gap is no issue in defence. I am retired, so I don't have any time that I have to be offline and can sleep as much as I want. Try to take a city off me...

The above is not true of me, but is the major scenario that is the big issue here

DeletedUser5819

The problem then is if you keep the alarm you must get rid of the anti-timer quotient.
In defence, if you do it right, you negate the anti-timer quotient.
I read the whole quote but shortened the paste.... I don't understand either of these two statements.

DeletedUser

Meaning there are ways to stop anti-timer having a variable effect in defence but not in attack.

You give someone both the ability to negate anti-timer, and be online at the time of any attack, and you will never land a siege on him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23986

I read the whole quote but shortened the paste.... I don't understand either of these two statements.

Sniping with land units of same city aren't affected by anti-timer, so that does help defender. I am not sure, what he meant though...

DeletedUser

It is a conquest settings thing, you can either snipe front or back. It doesn't have the same level of effect in revolt as you cannot countersnipe.

DeletedUser5819

Thanks Hasan, if that is what he mean, I guess I get that.

It is a conquest settings thing, you can either snipe front or back. It doesn't have the same level of effect in revolt as you cannot countersnipe.
Conquest is my kinda world, but I still have no idea what you are talking about, unless what Hasan said.

DeletedUser25249

Would be close to a year the alert has been around, I still think it's stupid, infact i think the app is stupid all together, but thats a seperate issue.
Wouldn't recomend taking anti timer away, noobs will get totally owned then.

DeletedUser

(note: I have not read anything other than the first page, because it looked quite repetitive, also my point probably has been said)

the alarm is bad for 4 reason 1. gives an unfair advantage to people with phones 2. it encourages turtling in a system already giving the defender and advantage because it allows you to coordinate a defense as long as your have your phone and are on the grid therefore meaning that players who prefer to defend are able to take defensive measures which are extremely useful in defense 3. it discourages activity which is one of the 2 things which you should need to be good at this game 4. there are issues with players spamming attacks when they are offline causing annoyance. Some people have said that it is not skillful to fight an opponent while offline, that is not the point actually it helps encourage activity

DeletedUser42857

If you disable the phone app alarm, how are people who only use the phone app supposed to play the game?

have their phone constantly in grepo all the time?

Inno make the phone app to get new players, and i would estimate a large percentage of new players come via the phone app and never play the desktop version. If you remove the alarm for the phone only players, they will never know when they are being attacked, unless they logon constantly on their phone which will kill their batteries.

Removing attack alarm would lose Inno about 1/3 of their players and in turn revenue. wont happen.

The percentage of PC players who have the phone app for the alarm is pretty small. I would say the bulk of phone app users are only using the app.

DeletedUser

Thanks Hasan, if that is what he mean, I guess I get that.

Conquest is my kinda world, but I still have no idea what you are talking about, unless what Hasan said.

hassan has the right meaning though I don't think understood it properly, and kdaroks is quite right about anti-timer, which in reality only leaves one option.

DeletedUser42857

Now im a bit more awake.

This is a definate no, and the reason it is a no.

A large proportion of Grepo players now are Phone only, meaning they dont even know there is a desktop version of grepo. All they use is a phone version.

It would be
a) unrealistic to expect these players to be logged onto the mobile version of grepo for extended periods of time because 1) thats not the way the game is designed on mobile app or marketed, and 2) battery constraints etc.
b) unfair therefore on phone only players to remove the attack push notification. And as soon as people started reviewing on the play store, app store etc that there was no push notification of incoming attacks the phone apps would be rendered dead in the water almost immediately.

What the OP is really proposing is that:

Players who primerily play the desktop version shouldnt be the allowed the backup of phone alarm.

I really dont buy the technology barrier. The grepo app runs on the most basic of android phones which is pretty much the entry level nowadays.

DeletedUser

The complaint is not what you listed above but the amount it is open to abuse. Players that use primarily desktop but have the phone alarm in order to stop themselves being caught unawares. And in this case, where does the line lie between what is classed as botting (rigging PC with such equipment) and the available technology. Surely if the alarm is legal to be used in this way then rigging the Desktop version with similar alarms shouldn't be illegal.

DeletedUser42857

And there is a grepo attack alarm on the list of approved scripts

So are you asking for
a) the attack alarm to be removed from mobile app
or
b) attack alarm to be added to desktop version

The suggestion in the OP is clearly that the attack alarm should be removed from the mobile version, which I oppose on the basis above and it will never ever be removed by Inno, they would lose 75% of their mobile audience.

if its adding attack alarm to desktop then you need to start a new ideas thread

DeletedUser

So you prefer that they lose 75% of their desktop market than losing 75% of their mobile market? I wonder what the percentage gross profit of each market really is and whether the mobile only market is really more profitable, considering the fact that most mobile only players will be the younger generation that can't spend as much on the game itself due to their own financial ties.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

and what about the people that cant afford a phone and a plan for the app. the game was better without it

DeletedUser

and what about the people that cant afford a phone and a plan for the app. the game was better without it

agreed 100%. At least consider making it a feature of a world so players can choose to have it or not.

DeletedUser33530

Look if you can't afford a phone and a plan then I really don't think you should be playing this God for saken game for hours with out end on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.