Gods

DeletedUser

So this game is suppose to be based off of ancient greece/rome. (sorta looks like both) Well didnt they eventually switch to Christianity. So cant we do that??? Wouldnt it be so much cooler to add gods that arent greek

DeletedUser

So this game is suppose to be based off of ancient greece/rome. (sorta looks like both) Well didnt they eventually switch to Christianity. So cant we do that??? Wouldnt it be so much cooler to add gods that arent greek

You know what will be cool getting more of the Greek gods in the game. The only reson it woulde sorta Roman is becuase the Romans took alot of their own culture from the Greeks. Not all of it caught on in Rome though. The way I see it is that Romans didn't have a single idea of their own. Rome the city/country/empire founded on robbers, theives, and the rest of unwanted. Proably the reson they were always at war and killing each other in the senate and in the streets. The one reason you could conect Rome to this game is the Senate a Roman idea and building. Greeks started direct democracy but I ain't going to complain cause the senate is in the game.

DeletedUser

Yes the greeks did switch to Christianity, but not for several hundred years after the setting of this game.

The Romans did steal many ideas from different cultures. However the way they organized thier military was one of thier own concepts, a highly succesful one at that. The Romans also came up with a number of different inventions, such as cement, domes, indoor plumbing. Roman society was not as debauched as you have been lead to believe by modern myth until towards the end of the Empire. For most of the Republican and Imperial ages, Roman society was well behaved. War was also not a constant.

As for more gods, in Grepolis 2.0 Hades is introduced, so that will give a fifth god. Let's not bring in too many gods at once, increasing the complexity of the game so much that the fun is taken away by the amount of learning required to play the game.

DeletedUser

Ha............ It was not Constantine that converted Rome and its empire to christianity - it was Thessalonius, a greek - governor.

DeletedUser

You know what will be cool getting more of the Greek gods in the game. The only reson it woulde sorta Roman is becuase the Romans took alot of their own culture from the Greeks. Not all of it caught on in Rome though. The way I see it is that Romans didn't have a single idea of their own. Rome the city/country/empire founded on robbers, theives, and the rest of unwanted. Proably the reson they were always at war and killing each other in the senate and in the streets. The one reason you could conect Rome to this game is the Senate a Roman idea and building. Greeks started direct democracy but I ain't going to complain cause the senate is in the game.

Erm... Not sure the Greeks would be in any position though to point the finger at the Romans for killing each other. I mean they pretty much destroyed themselves with the Peloponnesian War, and then there was all the civil war that went on. Athens was one of the most stable cities, and even they were pretty good at killing off their own citizens, for e.g. the 30 tyrants.

DeletedUser

This is sorta off-topic, but why do we have Athena? All of the others; Poseidon, Zeus, and Hera are sons and daughter of Cronos. It would make more sense for it to be Demeter, Hades, or even Aphrodite instead of some crazy lady that stabbed Zeus's brain...

Food for thought... so to speak...

DeletedUser

Emperor Constantine the Ist (Constantius Chlorus) made christianity an licite religion in Constantinopole, he had nothing to do with Rome. Then he's son became augustus, Constantine the 2nd, he signed the Treaty from Milano(forgot the year) and made christianity the only religion accepted in the whole Biyzantine Empire(Rome was included also) except the capital of the Empire was at Constantinopole, not at Rome, the break of these 2 was made in 1057 when the big schism broke the Church of Rome, from the one of Constantinopole. We're talking about the Ist Ecumenical Council year 500,I think..
The greek religion was considered peagan by the christians..

My opinion, if you want to make the game more fun, you have to add more gods, I have to agree to this. It doesn't have to be a real game based on current times, if we had it this way, probably we had US Tanks, Rockets etc..

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think everyone is missing the easy solution for this where the christian religion only has one god which would kind of make the divine part of the game a little boring if we changed to christianity, as there would be only one god. And if we keep the current gods, we should use the other greek gods still available to us if they add more gods to the game.
Also i agree with constantine the 1st where more gods = more fun, the more the merrier :p Although there may be a limit as to how many would be fun, if we had, say, 20 gods it would be a little way to high to remember them all/everything about them/their divine powers/their mystical units.

DeletedUser

This is sorta off-topic, but why do we have Athena? All of the others; Poseidon, Zeus, and Hera are sons and daughter of Cronos. It would make more sense for it to be Demeter, Hades, or even Aphrodite instead of some crazy lady that stabbed Zeus's brain...

Food for thought... so to speak...

Well, its because the concept of god here is a Patron god to which the city is dedicated to and worships it as a principal god.
Athena was the patroness of ATHENS, the capital of greek culture.
But can you name a city that had Hades as a patron god?... no

As for christianity:
First of all, it was Theodoseus and not constantine who switched to christianity, in the cursed year of 380AC.

This game is based in Ancient Greece, which was never christian, when the roman empire switched to christianity in 380 ac, no traces were left of ancient greece, which had died out a long time ago.
Hoplites no longer were used in war, the knowledge of greek culture was almost lost, people were not worshipping Zeus and Athena like in the old days, but many new gods that like Jesus, were trying to get new adepts.

This game is situated around 500 - 300 BC. Were christianity does not fit in any possible way, nor are the Romans present as something more than a squabbling city in the italian peninsula, busy fighting Sammites, Etruscans and keeping the Gauls at bay.

And Sigismund is right, the Romans did invent many things, they contributed more than any to the Law system, they revolutionized war in a way which has not been matched (the spanish Tercio gets close, but does not match it).

The game is good as it is, correctly situated in a certain historical context, and adding such things would be a horrendous scar to the game. Although I do believe more gods should be added, and Hades would not have been my first choice as a new god, I would have implemented either: Apollo, Ares or Demeter. But that is opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4013

I don't want to see any more talk about Christianity, Romans, or anything else that is not game related in this thread. If you wish to discuss other Olympian gods who would be better suited to this game, please create the appropriate thread in the Ideas forum and discuss the merits there. Otherwise, please keep the discussion on the current gods in the games as it is.