Discussion Going for my 4th Farming Village

DeletedUser

I have a few questions about going for my 4th farming village...

The attack dialog says that the 4th farming village is defended by 60 resistance troops and shows the icon of a Slinger, saying/implying that this is what the defense is made up of, but also says that Slingers are an offensive unit.

(Q 1035) Is this why only 40 attackers are needed?

It also says (with a progress bar) that I should have 40 attackers, and I can choose the mix. I have the following 33 troops, and am building towards my 40 to take the next FV:

• 18 Swordsmen
  • 10 Slingers
  • 5 Archers

(Q 1036) Which troops should I get to round out my mix (I have researched Hoplite, but don’t have any yet), and,

(Q 1037) what is the right mix of troops to use, or to loose the fewest and gain possession of the village?

(Q 1038) Finally, I’ve also read about a “beginners period” which implies that I am protected for a period of time or level; and if I remember correctly, gaining my 4th FV was a milestone for which the end of this period may be triggered. Is this correct, and gaining this 4th FV ends this protected period; and/or are there others to watch out for?

I was previously advised to:

You should only attack with Slingers, Horsemen and Hoplites whereas you should only defend with Swordsmen, Archers and Chariots.

(Q 1039) Should I wait until I have 40 attacking troops (Slingers, Horsemen and Hoplites), or take the village when I have 40 total including my swordsmen and archers?

(Q 1040) Should I select and use all my original 40 (assuming I should take the FV with a total of 40)?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The population requirement is (most likely) due to balance and progression, so you can't just conquer all villages instantly and have to work for them.

You can use any amount of troops to take the city, it doesn't have to be equal to the population requirement.

Most of the time you'll use slingers, then horsemen (2-3 times, including the 8th) and lastly hoplites (against swords). You can just use slingers for all of them but it won't be as efficient.

I've never heard of the last thing occurring. Source? I'm sure I've had 4 FVs and still under BP.

DeletedUser

OK, I just discovered the Attack Simulator, so time for more questions.

(Q 1041) First, do the same concepts of forces apply to both taking Farming Villages and taking Cities?

Your above explanation implies that they are the same. I’ll get to taking cities, but now I’m focused on gaining and utilizing resources as quickly as possible, and that means another FV.

I launched the Attack Simulator and tried different combinations of 40 troops to take a FV(?) with 60 Slingers. I further assume that the 4th FV has 60 Slingers as that number is pre-populated into the defenders simulation. No matter what combination I try, I lose the same.

From left to right: Swordsmen, Slingers, Archers, Hoplites.

If I try 18,12,5,3 (all 38 of my mixed forces), it says I lose 18,3,1,3, which leaves me with 0,9,4,0 (ouch!), but all 60 of the defenders are dead.

If I try 0,12,5,3; (which is only 20 of my forces), I lose 9 of them 0,5,1,3, leaving me with 18,7,4,0. See the attached image: AttackSimulator_4thFarmingVillage.jpg.

AttackSimulator_4thFarmingVillage.jpg

I guess, since your above answer indicates that gaining more FV’s does not destroy beginners protection, I’m going to go ahead with the attack I just described. Attack commenced. Initial results: See the attached image: AttackSimulator_4thFarmingVillage2.jpg.

AttackSimulator_4thFarmingVillage2.jpg

There are two clock times in this attack dialog; the first is the time it takes to march to the FV and (I assume) start the attack; and the other is the local time ~15: (3:00pm my time) in which I assume the attack will start.

(Q 1042) Why does the second time count up? It is increasing like the attack hasn’t been placed yet; like it’s still just an estimate, and will start later and later. Yet, my troops have been committed, shown by the progression bar and my values changing. I assume this means that in 34 minutes the attack will take place. Closing this and looking at the map shows that the FV is still “unconquered,” so I have to wait 34 minutes to double-check.

Before I forget, I need to re-explore an answer in another area (but here since it’s on my mind and a shorter thread)...

(Q 1043) I’ve been told that more than one city on my island can demand resources from a FV. I show 8 FV’s, of which I have 3 in my “possession.” The other 5 actually say “Not conquered.” Does this mean that no-one else on the island has taken possession of them? (I find that hard to believe as one other city has a score of +600.) Or does it mean that I can conquer them, even if someone else has already done so as well (kind of confusing).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

41) They differ slightly, you conquer the FV by a successful attack but conquering another player's city means you need to use the Conquest or Revolt method.

42) 60 Slingers defending, although poor in defense, are still too much to take with defensive troops. Just use all slingers in your attack, it'll be the most efficient. The time on the left indicates the travel time to the city; the battle doesn't take place until the troops reach the destination. The time on the right is when the attack will land in GMT+1 or whatever you have set it too.

43) Yes you can conquer any FV independent or what another player owns. Ownership of FVs are individual, you cannot see what they've conquered and vice versa.