gold or lose?

DeletedUser

there are so many new features since the last time i played this game. now you can do almost anything with gold.
when i used to play we would spend gold only on the advisors and sometimes to cut the construction time by half to quickly rebuild the wall.
my question is if its possible to be on the winning side without spending lots of gold on army, buildings, resources and all the other options?
is there a chance to beat a player who has unlimited amount of gold? or did it completely take the skills out of the game? specially in speed 1 worlds

DeletedUser44027

Welcome to the new and totally improved grepolis. To answer, you don't need gold on the rim, but I've found that the closer you get to the core the progressively harder it gets to play without any. A noob with gold is still a noob, but playing against someone with equal skill is pretty much impossible (or at least extremely difficult) if they're using a lot more gold than you.

DeletedUser

so were there many cases in which an offensive operation failed just because the target spent a huge amount of gold? im talking about the later stages, not the beginning.

DeletedUser37948

Welcome to the new and totally improved grepolis. To answer, you don't need gold on the rim, but I've found that the closer you get to the core the progressively harder it gets to play without any. A noob with gold is still a noob, but playing against someone with equal skill is pretty much impossible (or at least extremely difficult) if they're using a lot more gold than you.

even at the rim gold has the same advantages good team play can offset a bit but the games a lot more unbalanced now days.

DeletedUser44027

even at the rim gold has the same advantages good team play can offset a bit but the games a lot more unbalanced now days.

Has it changed that much for the worse? That's a shame. Last time I played you could only halve times with gold, but now I see people growing at ridiculous rates on speed one... Tried Tribal Wars but it seems it's just the same. Inno had a good idea, pity it's gotten this bad

DeletedUser

I had to to survive in the world being close to center, sucks but only faster worlds don’t use as much gold.

DeletedUser

I had to to survive in the world being close to center, sucks but only faster worlds don’t use as much gold.

Wrong.
The new introductions heavily favour the heavy gold abusers regardless of speed.
The only thing which helps gold less players or normal gold users is the gold trade.
It does provide cheap gold and depending on gains you may even gold abuse a bit on given moments though hard to keep up with just trade.

Ryann16

Strategos
so were there many cases in which an offensive operation failed just because the target spent a huge amount of gold? im talking about the later stages, not the beginning.

Don't know of any big ops that failed because of it, But it can be pretty hard to take a city when you knock down the wall and instant buy can get it back up in minutes.

DeletedUser42043

Gold has indeed become too empowered.. :/
It used to be that gold only helped with organizing and halving construction times on occasion..
Now Grepolis can effectively be pay to win, though hopefully it won't come to that?
If this becomes commonplace, the game WILL be broken.. OR.. become a game of wallets over strategy? lol ;)

DeletedUser46315

Gold helps you advance quicker sure but money don't buy brains kid! I've worked with many alliances that use little to no gold and have won world or been a top contender/sister alliance. Sadly a lot of gold fiends do prevail..it just depends who's on what world.

DeletedUser42043

Gold helps you advance quicker sure but money don't buy brains kid! I've worked with many alliances that use little to no gold and have won world or been a top contender/sister alliance. Sadly a lot of gold fiends do prevail..it just depends who's on what world.

True, it will ultimately be brains over wallets ;) As well as dedication

BUT I do wish that they did away with the using gold to end production of troops and buildings immediately option..
because theoretically one could buy an LS nuke for themselves, and it would take just one second (provided they have the necessary resources... but oh wait, you can buy that too xD )

DeletedUser

BUT I do wish that they did away with the using gold to end production of troops and buildings immediately option..
because theoretically one could buy an LS nuke for themselves, and it would take just one second (provided they have the necessary resources... but oh wait, you can buy that too xD )

this is the thing that bothers me the most as well, takes a big portion of the fun out of the game

DeletedUser

Well surely you just change the point of the game from winning to beating the out of guys who buy gold! Nothing more satisfying than ruining someones cash bought dream.

DeletedUser46315

I admit I have used gold already, only for branches and a few weeks of advisors. Not for units/buildings!

DeletedUser42043

Are the branches actually useful though? I noticed that you could just research "Crane" and get a similar buff as for Christophulus(if that's what his name was?).. not that it's probably necessary :p

DeletedUser46315

True but with that stacked and also island quest reward stacked it's great for new cities or rushing a building you need.

DeletedUser

ahh igapolis, long time no see mate.

Always good to see players i played with in theta, there arent many of us left :^)

hey Tassies good to see you here! you were in The Phalanx right?

DeletedUser14167

yup! sadly had to quit due to rl issues and also hit my goal of 1 million points so no crown :\

that war, TL vs TP is to this day the most fantastic war ive ever been in. thousands of LS, thousands of birs. stacking 10k birs in a city. that was so fun.

DeletedUser

haha yea it was a good war. and the crazy part was that people were still going for the city even with the 10k birs