Gold Trading Discussion and Feedback Thread

DeletedUser25746

While I hate this idea for the obvious reasons of competitive balance in a world.

I see a larger problem with this idea. As gold transfers between worlds it will start a terrible market of players playing every world to "mine" gold for their main world. Why would a person not enter in every world to trade rescources for gold.
This game already takes up alot of time in a day. It would be terrible to have to daily Log into 20+ worlds to gold trade also.

DeletedUser

Sigh... I remember the good old days when grepolis was play to win

We should not be surprised though. Each and every change made after 1.26 has just been one step after another closer to this the ultimate goal :pro:

DeletedUser31385

This is possibly the worst idea ever, gold users can get instant resources and rebuild their nukes very quickly. I say NO to this, Whoever has the paperwork for this one should shred it and burn it. This will just make the game pay to win, Money= gold= resources= Easy troops/buildings. I hope our opinions count, if you implement this it will damage your player base a lot by forcing non gold users to rage quit due to being conquered. They wouldnt stand a chance if a player uses gold and is able to get troops back really fast. I hope you think before you act on this.

DeletedUser30490

haha here i thought players can trade THEIR OWN resources for gold :D
now i realize that gold buyers actually have the upper hand in this.They could create ridiculous offers and benefit by getting resources. Only gold buyers really benefit from this.Even if non gold users create a fair offer no gold users will accept those offers and lose on their investment.Horrible idea!

DeletedUser31385

If they implement this it will cause a lot of players to just quit.

buddy1971

Phrourach
add the feature if you want to but i wont use it and may quit grepo all together because that would make it like another game that i used to play called game of war-fire age (buy your city and troops)

Last edited:

DeletedUser33590

This is the worst idea I've ever heard from InnoGames developers and I've heard my share of those. Has the evil beast of capitalism eaten the last bit of sense from your minds? I mean how can you think that anyone in their right minds could or would be able to play this game every day and have an EQUAL chance of winning a server with a great group of friends/players which we call alliances. There are just random guys and gals who have no sense of reality when they buy gold and splash it around the worlds like maniacs. These are the players who are unable to play a long term game with skills and patience.

This makes me extremely sad. How can I stay in contact even with half of the people I've gotten to know during these years when very surely 80% of long-term friends and foes are going to just quit due pure frustration? Unbelievable.

I wish Grep-developers would do something useful like come up with a new winning procedure because the wonders still and will always suck as they are the thing that leads to an end of a server. Awful. And yet I'm spending my time here - not because the game was so spectacularly smooth and flawless - because of the community and that there is always a chance of victory because we're simply so excellent in what we manage to do together. Now you're going to take this away from most of the Grep-players. What an extremely bad choice.

Please don't.

--

In other words in case you wish to have a less emotional explanation. At the moment the game mechanics make it possible for you to buy gold to accelarate the speed of building stuff but them or anyone not being able to use their gold in buying resources stops them from buying the victory. So the game has stayed somewhat fair and acceptable even though a rough estimate of 5% of the big players come and splash their gold around. If this change is applied it will ruin the fair and equal possibilities of succeeding in the game as it enables buying victory.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser46972

Honestly, I am tired of Gold User's. I've been trying at this game for awhile now and I've had a hard time against Gold Users, I don't use gold, I think it's stupid. Taking away the only way I can survive against Gold user's is a horrible idea. I will be quitting if this goes though.

DeletedUser36484

I think this is a very bad idea from a game perspective for all the reasons already stated. But I also believe it is a very bad idea from the business case perspective for Inno.

At the moment there are 3 basic "classes" of players...

1. Non-gold users
  2. "Medium" Gold users (who are probably the backbone of the game) who set themselves limits in how much they spend
  3. "Heavy" Gold users who seem to spend as much as they feel like.

Inno's reason for implementing this feature is to allow current "non-gold" users to be able to obtain gold by trading resources so that they can enjoy premium features. However this is a zero sum method, as it does not introduce "new" money into the game.

• The "non-gold" users will just obtain their gold by trading and remain not putting any of their own money into the game.
  • The "Medium" gold users may take advantage of the feature to get resources but will still not exceed their self imposed limits.
  • The "Heavy" gold users - who will probably be the main buyers of resources - will spend their money anyway.

In reality, it is very likely that overall revenue will go down, as the "Medium" users will get so frustrated that the "Heavy" users can buy their wins that they will quit the game.

End result: Inno gets less money.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

this is a bad idea as gold users will basically be able to win the server.

DeletedUser21990

This game really will be pay to win rather than play to win. Resources was one of the few limitations for people with a lot of cash to burn but this idea would remove that completely. It is ideas like this that make me wonder if I should even keep playing Grepo.

In the newer posts of this thread Innogames was recently called out in why features such as a WW revamp hadn't been done, yet any "features" that encourage gold use were taking the top priority.

http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?44457-Grepolis-Roadmap-2013-Main-Feedback-Thread/page10

DeletedUser

There's another factor everybody has failed to consider too.

Using this system Heavy gold users could effectively pay gold to members of their alliance, imagine a whole alliance of Erik Wijmeersch's coming at you, you'd have no chance.

You could have players only joining alliances for the gold they would be paid, it would completely corrupt the game. Worst idea ever, Inno you need a major rethink on this because I'm telling you, you'll kill this game when most of the players go somewhere else because of this.

DeletedUser35069

I've played on previous games that let you trade premium for resources and they have always given advantages that are beyond comprehension to the person selling the gold.

I really hate the idea of trading for gold coming into the game but (as you're gonna do it anyway) there should be strict limitations on trade prices so it doesn't give huge advantages to the player selling and I hope infact the trades are more to be done with 'grepo' or a NCP instead of within the players.

In the game I played for 2 years where you could sell gold back to the website for ingame currency and also to players with no restrictions on price, to the website (NCP) it was like 50k price per coin ingame currency, to other players it ended up 999,999,999 per coin (the max the game was set at for trades) and basically after a couple of years of playing some guy logged on bought 200 euros of coins and just shot beyond everybody and got to first in a month or so. That requires no skill or even activity.

I don't think anybody needs this type of advantage, maybe incorporate gold into events or have a long running event that gives out a little gold here and there to keep players active but trading for gold really isn't required or something most will want.

SlothTzu

Strategos
There's another factor everybody has failed to consider too.

Using this system Heavy gold users could effectively pay gold to members of their alliance, imagine a whole alliance of Erik Wijmeersch's coming at you, you'd have no chance.

You could have players only joining alliances for the gold they would be paid, it would completely corrupt the game. Worst idea ever, Inno you need a major rethink on this because I'm telling you, you'll kill this game when most of the players go somewhere else because of this.

I didn't think of that, ironic how there's a rule against that.

"§4) Account Sales
It is forbidden for accounts to be involved in any commercial activity. An account cannot be offered for sale. Offering gold coins to other players in exchange for in-game activities such as attacking other players is prohibited."

And trading resources is definitely an in-game activity.

DeletedUser47415

Agree with whats already been said. This is possibly the biggest change to the game in the last few year with the potential to ruin the entire game by turning it into a 'pay to win'-game. 'pay to win'-games dont last that long do they?

I understand this is being tested on the beta-world. Testing is all good and well, but I would like to adress some potential damaging sideeffects that the beta-testing wont provide answers to(there may be more, im just dropping from the top of my head):

*There are a group of players who cant buy gold (virtually), either because they are too young or are broke whatever.
This could create group of players who registers on almost all new worlds with the sole purpose of attaining resources to sell to acquire gold. The gold would be used on the server they actually play on.

The beta world wont test for this as gold aquired on beta can only be used on beta(right?)

*Heavy gold use is the most effective on newly started servers where there is that race to get city nr 2 first(up to the, lets say 10 cities, really) The ones with a good start gains a tremendous advantage and momentum for the remainder of the server.

The beta wont test for the more obscene effects this would have since its not a new server.

*Id expect beta-players have different motivations for gold use then others. Sure, they use gold, but their interest would more be in testing new features, rather than: Ill get to the top 'spare no costs'.

The beta may therefore not display how this will effect extreme gold spendage amongst minor group of players, and how this will effect the server.

*World Wonder. Consider the following scenario: On a server you have 3 alliances, X,Y&Z, competing to build WW. After a while Z lags behind, so much infact that they give up. X perceives this and gives them a deal. To buy all their resources, X will use the resources to win, Z will use the gold on the next server.

DeletedUser

The thing that I enjoy about grepo is the buy in mechanism just gives you access to tools that makes the game easier to manage. It also means that people who don't want to spend money can compete on an even playing field.

By introducing a method to buy the currency for the game (resources) and still giving people the ability to spend gold on rushing things through you can effectively kill any means of fair play if a player is willing to spend enough money. Imagine a player has a CS incoming and 4hrs notice, he could build an entire army in the city with enough gold and snipe the CS without worrying about ever having to have defence in place.

A simple idea that may in the short term increase revenue, will in the long term destroy your user base due to people not wanting to play anymore. I vote against this feature.

DeletedUser20948

Nah, despite not one positive response to this feature it'll still get implemented - Inno Logic :D

DeletedUser

Honestly. Who will give up their resources for Gold? Grepolis is not a war game. It is a Resources Management game. You don't win it without resources. Boycott the feature, don't sell your RES!

silent cries on deaf ears... they will proceed with this nonsense anyhow.

DeletedUser21320

When you see ideas like this it makes you wonder if any of the developers have actually ever played the game, not in the pointless beta server where nobody really cares who wins but on a real EN server where people spend their hard earned money to try and compete to win the game.

They should be made to play out a full server in a decent alliance before they're allowed to make terrible changes to the game we pay to play. I'm pretty sure that if they suggested this idea in any alliance forum or skype room they would be told that's crazy like they have been here. At least then they could appreciate the challenges that the game offers to its customers.

Resources remain the sole balancing feature in preventing those people who want to throw endless funds at the game to get ahead from making the game a non-contest. You can already technically buy resources through the phoenician merchant and the events but that becomes prohibitively expensive very quickly but allowing people to offer the pittance of 10 gold for 10k res (as seen in your wiki) is an absolute joke.