Gold Trading Discussion and Feedback Thread

DeletedUser47651

Ok so I've read through the comments on this thread and I've also signed up for the Beta server. So far I've seen the options of trading gold for resources and I fully understand where the other players are coming from. A LOT of players who can actually afford to keep buying gold frequently are going to monopolize this game. People are trading things like 20003456 wood for 25 gold!!!! that's freaking ridiculous. But they're banking on the dire need and benefits of having gold in the bank. I'm telling you....it only seems like a good idea now to introduce gold into the trade-able market but when the demands get tougher and tougher....people who can't afford to keep buying gold are eventually gonna quit. That's exactly what started happening on DOA. people couldn't afford to keep buying gems and once the whole "pay for certain things" turned into "pay to survive", lots of people quit

DeletedUser43626

Took a good two hours to read all that. And it seems that it will keep going. While some people makes good points I fail to see the problem with this new feature. "It could be as a result of myself being one of the heavy gold users as mentioned earlier."

Been at the game for two years this December and have always been hoping that Inno would implement something that would allow everyone to benefit from Gold and not just those with a fat wallet. Consider The following:

Premiums allow a person who has 1 or more cities to get Merchant, effectively increasing all resources in all cities by 30%. Is that option alone not worth a trade of say 10 gold as shown in the example by Inno for 10k resources? Not to mention Captain that makes farming villages so much easier. Won't bother mentioning the rest as we are well aware of advantages of premium.

True, some gold spenders will increase their overall spending as a result of this "which I'm sure is what Inno wants" but will it really make such a large difference? One player no matter the gold he uses can not solo an entire alliance. So with all alliances having their own gold users, how will this effect the overall outcome of the game.

In my opinion Inno have done two things: Found a way to prevent people from logging into other peoples accounts to buy them gold, resulting in a ban if caught, while potentially increasing profits and at the same time balancing the game out a bit more for those who do not use gold. "Allowing the option of premiums for them too"

Picture the following scenario:

A player with three cities and with premium accounts occupying the same island as 5 other players without premium. The advantage the player with premium has over the other 5 will eventually allow him to take them out, Even with them working as a team. Now imagine someone from their alliance assists them in obtaining some gold for premium. Captain = Attack % + as well as Commander. Then the premium chap would have a whole new problem at hand. It would mean less support from other areas as the 5 members have literally become 30% more effective.

Inno is placing a limit of 200 gold. No idea if that is per transaction, or total amount over multiple transactions. I'm hoping it's the latter.

DeletedUser47651

Soooo
I can sell wood/rock/silver
and someones going give me gold?

and then I can hire the merchant
and get more wood/rock/silver

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-/

goooooold

yup.....and when people realize this....think of what will happen when people who can already afford lots of gold get their hands on this little "treat"

DeletedUser

Took a good two hours to read all that. And it seems that it will keep going. While some people makes good points I fail to see the problem with this new feature. "It could be as a result of myself being one of the heavy gold users as mentioned earlier."

Been at the game for two years this December and have always been hoping that Inno would implement something that would allow everyone to benefit from Gold and not just those with a fat wallet. Consider The following:

Premiums allow a person who has 1 or more cities to get Merchant, effectively increasing all resources in all cities by 30%. Is that option alone not worth a trade of say 10 gold as shown in the example by Inno for 10k resources? Not to mention Captain that makes farming villages so much easier. Won't bother mentioning the rest as we are well aware of advantages of premium.

True, some gold spenders will increase their overall spending as a result of this "which I'm sure is what Inno wants" but will it really make such a large difference? One player no matter the gold he uses can not solo an entire alliance. So with all alliances having their own gold users, how will this effect the overall outcome of the game.

In my opinion Inno have done two things: Found a way to prevent people from logging into other peoples accounts to buy them gold, resulting in a ban if caught, while potentially increasing profits and at the same time balancing the game out a bit more for those who do not use gold. "Allowing the option of premiums for them too"

A player with three cities and with premium accounts occupying the same island as 5 other players without premium. The advantage the player with premium has over the other 5 will eventually allow him to take them out, Even with them working as a team. Now imagine someone from their alliance assists them in obtaining some gold for premium. Captain = Attack % + as well as Commander. Then the premium chap would have a whole new problem at hand. It would mean less support from other areas as the 5 members have literally become 30% more effective.

Inno is placing a limit of 200 gold. No idea if that is per transaction, or total amount over multiple transactions. I'm hoping it's the latter.
but now the gold user has enough resources for full nuke, enough gold to build the nuke very quickly, and all the advisers. what did the other player get? 1 tenth of an adviser

DeletedUser47651

while u make some pretty valid points, I must refer to the part about one player not being able to solo an alliance....u do realize that some alliances have certain criteria for the members? what if an alliance decides that its criteria is that its members spend a certain amount on gold purchases? what if other alliances get that idea? what then? :/ its a real complication

DeletedUser47651

Beta server is not accurate at all...For zues's sake you start with three cities and you already got like a market.....

There should be a bets world where you start with 1 175 city and see where it goes...

yesssssss I started with like 5 cities so it wasn't really a very accurate scenario

DeletedUser47651

While I'm not saying that I'll leave the game if its implemented....Im saying that it'll make it a lot less attractive to those who wanna join :/

jack116798

Phrourach
This game just seems to get worse and worse after a new feature is added. In my opinion this shouldn't be implemented as gold users will abuse it and others who can't will be left for dead, I understand it's your own choice to buy gold but it does seem to me that you can't properly compete any more without purchasing gold as the advantages of gold seems to get longer and longer leaving the little people to dry, I understand inno need to raise revenue but I think this feature will gain some but the people who don't buy gold or buy little will be left there and will lose hope and quit, I do happen to use gold but don't feel it's feature is fair on others who don't
well this would be the way it is . the ones that don't spend gold like myself will get pushed from the game .
good luck with getting fresh players when they are all wiped out once there protection runs out .

DeletedUser43626

but now the gold user has enough resources for full nuke, enough gold to build the nuke very quickly, and all the advisers. what did the other player get? 1 tenth of an adviser

Noel, Gold users can already do that. provided that they have the resources at hand. If i have ten cities on an island and i send resources all to one city, I can rebuild a nuke real quick that way, but then like everyone else, I must wait for my resources to refill. With merchant, this gives me an advantage over other players. "Those that don't have premium"

Now imagine the person that i'm sending the nuke against had the other 10 cities on that island. No merchant or commander or captain would mean a war of attrition that I would eventually win, however, arm him with gold as well and it would boil down to skill.

I a gold user myself and play on the world Oropos. And even with that advantage, i'm still not the top player. I'm a Top 5 fighter, top 5 attacker and top defender. Ranked 5 in points. But the chap ahead of me in attack points uses gold only for merchant, captain, commander, priestess and Admin. The rest is skill.

Gold may give the overall less skilled player an advantage, but only to an extend, after that he is like everyone else.

Remember that while this new feature will further strengthen gold users, I will more than like ly strengthen the non gold users to the extend that gold users may only use the feature on occasion to prevent other from gaining to much advantage. Kinda like a double edged sword.

Additionally, they'll have to manage and time the resources when they come in. one slip up and you may have 20k resources wasted for 20 gold cause you didn't time it correctly or had ta step out for a bit.

DeletedUser43626

well this would be the way it is . the ones that don't spend gold like myself will get pushed from the game .
good luck with getting fresh players when they are all wiped out once there protection runs out .

Now imagine if you got gold to spend? How would that make a difference? More damage, more queus on buildings, more defense. Remember gold users won't put up their resources for gold. They'll trade with the non-gold users. Thereby giving them just as much advantage.

Furthermore, remember that this will only be as successful as those that are willing to trade resources for gold.

Gold players are minority. Non-gold players are majority. After protection wears one or two people may lose a city, but that is the way it has always been. This won't change it much.

DeletedUser

Noel, Gold users can already do that. provided that they have the resources at hand. If i have ten cities on an island and i send resources all to one city, I can rebuild a nuke real quick that way, but then like everyone else, I must wait for my resources to refill. With merchant, this gives me an advantage over other players. "Those that don't have premium"

Now imagine the person that i'm sending the nuke against had the other 10 cities on that island. No merchant or commander or captain would mean a war of attrition that I would eventually win, however, arm him with gold as well and it would boil down to skill.

I a gold user myself and play on the world Oropos. And even with that advantage, i'm still not the top player. I'm a Top 5 fighter, top 5 attacker and top defender. Ranked 5 in points. But the chap ahead of me in attack points uses gold only for merchant, captain, commander, priestess and Admin. The rest is skill.

Gold may give the overall less skilled player an advantage, but only to an extend, after that he is like everyone else.

Remember that while this new feature will further strengthen gold users, I will more than like ly strengthen the non gold users to the extend that gold users may only use the feature on occasion to prevent other from gaining to much advantage. Kinda like a double edged sword.

Additionally, they'll have to manage and time the resources when they come in. one slip up and you may have 20k resources wasted for 20 gold cause you didn't time it correctly or had ta step out for a bit.

but with this they could get the needed resources very easily in a low amount of time.

here's a scenario for you, user A is a heavy gold user with 13 other heavy gold users in their alliance, user B is a non-gold user in an alliance with 6 heavy gold users in their alliance. All players have 30-40 cities. User A and his alliance run a large OP against user B and 7 of the heavy gold users in user A's alliance help, while only 3 of the heavy gold users in user B's alliance help them. user A and his alliance launch their attacks and only take 3 of user B's cities, all non-gold users involved lost almost all of their troops. All the heavy gold users involved rebuild their nukes in 12-24 hours and user A's alliance attacks again. What do you think will happen to user B?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser43011

I think this is a absurd idea especially for the fact that you can only trade "bought gold" therefore meaning anything I win or get for bringing players into the game cannot be used.

You should re title this "Inno rewards big spenders"

DeletedUser43626

Again that will come down to know how of the game. Yes, the likely scenario would be that on a head to head, user B would undoubtly lose. But how are cities won and lost? By cs. So if a person with enough smarts decides to dodge all attacks and snipe the cs, then he will remain safe.

Gold allows for resources to replenish faster, and to rebuild faster. It doesn't make my wall or tower or commander better than yours just because i have more of it.

Gold players will always have the advantage over normal players, but that doesn't make us smarter than the rest of you.
A person with a good head on his shoulders will always have the advantage.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

DeletedUser

Again that will come down to know how of the game. Yes, the likely scenario would be that on a head to head, user B would undoubtly lose. But how are cities won and lost? By cs. So if a person with enough smarts decides to dodge all attacks and snipe the cs, then he will remain safe.

Gold allows for resources to replenish faster, and to rebuild faster. It doesn't make my wall or tower or commander better than yours just because i have more of it.

Gold players will always have the advantage over normal players, but that doesn't make us smarter than the rest of you.
A person with a good head on his shoulders will always have the advantage.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

but they can only offensively snipe a CS with OLU or LS nuke cities , otherwise the other player can land support.

also, what was the reason user B lost in the scenario? not strategy or activity, but because the other alliance had more gold than his. (by the way, that scenario was after gold trading is implemented)

DeletedUser

And what are you going to do when I keep buying nukes and smashing your city because I have money and you don't? Eventually you will slip up and lose your city or you will run out of troops...

DeletedUser40768

Gold players are minority. Non-gold players are majority.

Any stat to back that up, because right now just about everyone in the alliances I am in uses at least a little gold.

Sniping is entrusting your faith into an anti timer that randomly times each attack and support. Smarts plays no role into luck, a smart player can lose a city just as easily as someone with less knowledge of the game.

That is correct, gold allows for resources to replenish faster and for an easier rebuild. It is good that it has no affect on your wall or tower, and not everyone has a commander so having it is an added advantage. The game is already not balanced, but it is not imbalanced enough that non premium players are unable to play. This feature would make it that,pay to play features destroy every game eventually and I just don't see why the trend has to continue. Just keep the game the way it is, no one is asking for extreme changes to the game we enjoy.

DeletedUser40768

While I don't have any stats on Grepolis, most freemium models only get 10-20% paying users, and to be honest I can't see it being far out.

Dennis Heinert did a interview and talks about the premium in forge of empires:

Source on this article here.

Based on the last comment I would assume it would be less for Grepolis.....

Two things to remember about FoE, one it came out about 2 years after grepolis. Meaning at the time of the article, the premium benefits were probably not very much and they had a smaller community than they do now. I have no doubt that in the 2 year since it has gone up in both Grepolis and FoE, with my eyes I have encountered way more gold users as the game progressed and when the benefits became even bigger. Considering most accounts go inactive early into each world, I would have to say the percentage of just the active players would have to be higher than of the market itself. That could explain why there seems to be a large amount of gold users.

Didn't see that part about FoE having the most successful financial start, never would have imagined. Those games even start of with more of the free in game currency then we do.

DeletedUser

resources are necessary for nearly everything in the game making them available for gold will make it impossible for non gold players to compete.. the gold trading can not be change enough to stop it being pay to win, combine this with the other gold features and im sure a gold player could rebuild nukes in only a few hrs... that's my reason for not liking this update, I have not tested on the beta server but another gold feature is definitely not needed...

DeletedUser42857

Gold players are minority. Non-gold players are majority. .

#1 alliance in a world, the vast majority probably 90% will use gold, even if its only for advisors
#2-#3 alliance in the world, majority of players use gold
#4-#5 alliance in the world, probably half the players have the advisors
#6-#xx aliance in teh world, dont use gold, which is why they are #6 to #xx

Ive no idea where you get your idea that gold players are in the minority.

I would hazard a guess, that for each alliance that wins the world, 95% of that alliance used gold at some point.

But of course, i could be totally wrong, I could just be making figures up off the top of my head, a bit like you are.