Graphics CnC (Comment and Critique)

DeletedUser

Time for a CnC thread. Its similar to "Rate the Signature above" but different in many ways.

First of all, its not just a rating out of 10 then moving on to the next person. This CnC thread is so that people post artworks (whether it would be large art, a signature, an avatar or other piece of art) and others constructively critique them.

An example is below:
Person 1: What do you think of my artwork?

bfox79.png

Person 2: @Person 1, like the filters around the head but a little bit small.

Person 3: The backgrounds a bit blank, could have something going on. But otherwise.. good!

Person 2: Made a new CoA!

btcoa.gif

I think the text needs changing

Person 3: I really like it. Nice!

Person 1: Looking bold but yeah, could have better text.

And so on... It is not just rate the sig above!

It is not just rate the sig above! And please get involved! The whole idea of the thread is so that beginners and intermediates (like myself) get some good advice and tips on how to improve.

So time to start. Let me kick off this party. What do you think of the below?

wcle8j.png

A request piece lol.... I think the text is a bit off... Not the right font or colour? What do you think?

DeletedUser8362

I like the panda one alot :D I think it needs back text instead of red. I find the text hard to read, and it would simply make the text noticable.

DeletedUser4013

I like the panda one alot :D I think it needs back text instead of red. I find the text hard to read, and it would simply make the text noticable.

I agree, black or some other bold color is needed to make it stand out. But not so much that the flying panda is no longer the main focus.

Here are some pics for C&C:

This is a Coat of Arms I did for a friend:
AllansCoA.png

This is a sig I made for Wansyth:
WansythsSigv2.jpg

This is a Link sig that I just sorta threw together:
LinkSig.jpg

Last, a sig that I made for another friend:
AllansSig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

1. Too simple to be honest

2. Good sig but the text font and size doesn't match it

3. Great, love your style of your sig, it is very unique

4. Same as above

DeletedUser4013

Well the Coat of Arms I wanted to be simple. Simpler works better and looks more striking than cluttered I think. Not really sure what else I would be able to add to that. As for my style, I think that using a unifying element (in my sigs - a symbol) really helps to bring the piece together. Of course as I continue and improve I'll move away from the distinct style that I currently have. Please keep critiquing!

DeletedUser

1) Very simple but I really like it. Its kinda tribal...

2) Great filters/effects, I like it. Though tyroncs is right, I'm not sure about the text.

3) Good text with a filling background. I do like the "borders" through the middle of your sigs

4) I'm not sure about this one, the text doesn't go for me over the red though its the right font. I'm also iffy about the render on the right side, it needs a bit more taken off. But otherwise nice! Like the way you do the sigs and outlines around them... I would call them borders again but I would get mixed up.

Great work, keep it up.

DeletedUser4013

Is that smoke rising off the shield? If so, how'd you manage that? I need to learn how to do smoke images :(

Here's a new Sig that I made on request from Ac04:
AdamsSig.jpg

I am looking to move away from my current style, but I may keep using some of the elements that I like.

DeletedUser

@Osl I never realised it was a shield until tyrion said then. I thought it was a scythe, i think the front needs to be a little bit darker so that the whole shield is visibls.

DeletedUser

Tyrion all of them look awesome, especially like 2nd, 3rd and ac04s though... :p

You choose all the good fonts =D

DeletedUser4013

I have been collecting fonts since 2003, so I've had a good long time to search for them. Some fonts are just down right impossible to find, but perseverance is key. I actually really like the font that Carf used in your siggy LB...nice and cartoonish. That's one type of font that I don't think I have.

DeletedUser

How do you download fonts directly to your fonts folder, I try but it says access denied

DeletedUser4013

How do you download fonts directly to your fonts folder, I try but it says access denied

I know that in Win7, and I would think that the same holds for Vista, you can right-click on the font and click install. You may have to be logged in as an administrator in order to do this. The other way to do this is to copy/move the font file into C:/Windows/Fonts and this will automatically install.

Not sure how it would be done for Macs. It may be a good idea to get these two posts set up as a 'how-to' guide.

DeletedUser

I think I might have explained it for GIMP, as you don't need to install fonts in a fonts folder. I use my downloads folder because I am lazy :p

DeletedUser

@Tyrion, the first one is a really nice flat piece. It's simple and clean, I love it.

The second one is nice as well. I love the composition and the feel. However, the lightning bolts look a bit funky and it seems as if you just copied them over and over.

The third was is ok. You over-did the bevel a bit, but getting a bevel to look good is very difficult, even for me. The yellow triforce pattern in the background is much too visible causing your eye to go right to it, especially since everything else is green. I would suggest toning down the color a bit more.

Four, the colors aren't too great, the assassin looks like he needs some contrast adjustments, and overall it's just too busy and cluttered. Try minimizing your work a bit, not every space has to be filled. Also, the black text is barely visible against the dark reds.

Ok, what do you guys have to say about these...

Get ready for page elongation...
One I made in 5/10 minutes. Kind of crappy:
4887791768_8645655186.jpg

My favorite piece so far, I made it for the SOTM contest:
4887123105_759f8c25fd_b.jpg

A commie-themed avatar for a forum I frequent:
4860952636_7719ae9f9a_t.jpg

Sig I made for a friend last year, self-explanatory:
4813263575_779f68df35.jpg

Signature I made last year for myself, custom stars, not stock:
4807087897_859b328240.jpg

Commie-themed avatar for another forum:
4728185214_ea65256473.jpg

Signature:
4599868684_8942c9a192.jpg

Meh, experimented with perspective and 3-d text. A bit over-blurred.
4519373412_64968a5841.jpg

DeletedUser4013

Ok, here's something that I worked on today...I feel that it needs more, but I'm not sure what. Please criticize it fully. Thanks

AbstractSigv1.jpg

DeletedUser

I see what you mean, it seems kind of empty.I thin the text needs to be clearer and it needs something behind it

DeletedUser4013

It does seem empty, but I don't know what to add to it. I could move the text over to where the larger cloud is...