Important Graphics Competition?

DeletedUser

Is there any interest out there for a graphics competition?
Not necessarily a recurring thing like the sotw competitions as i understand people find it hard to make the commitment to such a long running thing, but possibly just a one-off comp?

Any input would be appreciated, i'm just trying to gauge interest levels :)

DeletedUser44426

I dont make sigs well.(dont know the full basics yet) but a graphics competition would be good and fun.

DeletedUser

You should check out the guides section here :)
May be something of use in there...

DeletedUser

I am kind of iffy on this matter. All the competitions I tried to enter ended up as failures. I would love to see a competition unfolding with all the preceding drama and what not. I could contribute by making player status bars. I don't know how long will they be wearing it, but we could have 3 of them for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and a 4th one like a veteran's ribbon: "Epic contestant ", something like "been there"

All in all I think it is time to spice up the forum and draw some attention to it.

Another ideas for Grepo Forum contests:

Mrs. Sexy Grepo
Mr. Macho Grepo
Funniest self photo
Best image manipulation

Last edited by a moderator:

Varun

Strategos
I would definitely enter. This would be a perfect chance for me to get active in the Gfx community again!! ^_^

DeletedUser

Ok, well it seems that there is enough interest for me to go ahead.

I think that the usual sotm comps are too long and people lose interest.
Equally, i think that a one-off thing may be not be the way to go.

How about a sotw comp, running for 3 weeks.
5 days to create a piece
2 days voting

straight onto the next theme when the poll closes.

DeletedUser

This game is visited by people every hour if not more. A lot of players just keep connected. 5 days to create a piece is too long. This forum is way more dynamic than this. I think 2 days to create and 2 days to vote.

DeletedUser

Agree totally.

I may do a sign up sheet.
Only those who know they will be able to participate for the duration of a shorter, but more fast paced competition sign up.

If you miss one, you get kicked from the comp.

3 lots of two days to create, two days to vote?

DeletedUser

Sign up sheet is a good idea. This needs to be more structured. Since this is a competition, people need to inform the curator of their participation. The time frame needs to be clearly defined and if you can't make it, then C'est la vie.

Previous competitions were a week long and some people were like: Oh, when I get some free time I MIGHT make something. This competition should not exclude people like that, if they want to try - welcome, but nobody should be waiting.

- Clear time frame
- No ball dropping from YOU! (u are the one who will brew all this)
- Perhaps make a poster about an upcoming competition and post it in other threads and other language/countries forums.
- To generate more participation and interest there should be a prize.
> Perhaps little bit of gold
> Perhaps modify top portion of the forum, right under the quick links to have space for the winning piece to be displayed for a week, ten days?

DeletedUser

Regarding the prizes, that last one isn't going to happen unfortunately...
However gold is easily sorted and i was thinking that the winner could either design their own custom user title, or get someone else to do it for them. Though, if they won, they should be good enough to do it themselves. :)

It could say anything they like, as long as its appropriate...

Also, in the past, we've allowed pre-created pieces... I am leaning towards saying that they must be new for the competition and to not reveal a list of the themes as has been done in the past, but rather, you don't find out what it is until the start of the two days creation time.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser

This game is visited by people every hour if not more. A lot of players just keep connected. 5 days to create a piece is too long. This forum is way more dynamic than this. I think 2 days to create and 2 days to vote.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. If anything this forum has never been less dynamic. Even when, on average, there were 2 to 3 times as many people online at any given moment the sotw competitions failed due to lack of participation. And for those competitions you had a full week to create something.

I'm telling you Thomas, the first time you'll do this everyone will probably send something in but to get any form of consistent participation you're going to have to give people more time to create something. Not everyone is on this forum 24/7 and not everyone spends only 20minutes on their art.

DeletedUser

The issue i have is that longer SOTW comps have been tried and tested and 3/4 didn't keep up good participation, even when the forum was way more active.

Perhaps something shorter and a bit more intense is what it is needed?

Two days, admittedly, may be too short... However 7 days is certainly too long.
If it is a 6 week long competition, you lose the excitement.
A short, two week long thing with 3 rounds would be good imo. Thoughts?

DeletedUser

The issue i have is that longer SOTW comps have been tried and tested and 3/4 didn't keep up good participation, even when the forum was way more active.

Perhaps something shorter and a bit more intense is what it is needed?

Two days, admittedly, may be too short... However 7 days is certainly too long.
If it is a 6 week long competition, you lose the excitement.
A short, two week long thing with 3 rounds would be good imo. Thoughts?
Part of the reason people stopped submitting was lack of motivation because they didn't win the previous weeks, I think. Maybe an idea is to not start voting until after all the three rounds have been completed? Maybe still make a thread showcasing them but not yet create a poll.
2 weeks three rounds gives us 5 days per round, short of one day. I'd say give people 4 days to make something and 3 days to vote in the end, each option of the poll being all 3 images of someone.

Or just take the classic route and have 3 rounds, each having 4 days to create something and 1 day to vote. Voting and creating also aren't mutually exclusive, so you can just give people the new theme/pic/idea while the voting for the previous batch is still going on.

DeletedUser

That is not a bad idea there Skully...
I like the idea of people voting on a set of pieces rather than just individual images.

Ok, i'll have a chat with the team and will get prizes approved etc. :)

DeletedUser

I like the idea of speedy/condensed competition opposed to the idea of a long and cheesy 1 week long even. We had 6 stages = 6 weeks= 42 days...come on :)
For crying out loud, we could have quicky - 3-4 stages=7 week = condensed fun and anticipation of the result.

Also, maybe

- Grepolis Graphics Challenge
---fast paced competition---
- GFX Contest
- GFX Showroom or Grepolis Forum Art Showroom and Competition 2014