Graphics Dictionary

DeletedUser

Just a (always under construction) dictionary to help out those who might get confused at the terms used in this section.

Abstract - A type of LP or tag in which the focal is not a person or a common inanimate object. Often, C4Ds or smudging form abstract pieces.

Bg - Shortened form of background. That which is behind the focal.

C4D - An image or render that was created for use in PS in Cinema 4D. The three main types are Abstract C4ds, Effect C4Ds, and Bubble C4Ds.

Collab - Shortened form of a collaboration, in which two or more artists complete different portions of a tag or LP and publish the final piece as a compilation of both artists work.

dA - DeviantArt, a good place to post your/search for others tags, tutorials, resources, and anythign GFX related.

Fractal - An image created by mathematical equations in a program such as Apophysis. Often set to linear dodge or screen to be used as effects.
Example 1 - Example 2

Freestyle - Often used for the subject of a competition or a style of tag, in which there is no forced subject matter. That is, everything is legal for a Freestyle battle.

GIMP - Acronym for the GNU Image Manipulation Program, which is a program designed to be a free, open source, competitor to photoshop.

Gradient Map - A tool commonly used to adjust the colors or contrast of a piece. In PhotoShop, found by going to Layer->New Adjustment Layer->Gradient Map... and adjusting the options there. One of the most common ways to use gradient maps is on the blending mode "soft light", often at very low opacity. A very common gradient map is Black-White on Luminosity.

LP - Shortened form of Large Piece.

Large Piece - A piece of art, generally larger than 500x500.

LQ - Low Quality.

Opacity - The degree to which light is allowed to pass through a layer. A layer on 0% opacity will have a 0% affect on the piece, whereas a piece with 100% will be fully opaque. A setting between 30% and 80% will appear to be faded out, having a noticeable change without being completely obvious. This is most useful for adjustment layers.

Photomanip - Short for photomanipulation, which is combining two or more stock photos and creating a surrealistic piece that appears to have been one stock. Very common form of LPs.

PixelArt - The process of making art by using individual pixels. Similar to the art of "spriting (creating sprites)".
PixelJoint, Home to a PixelArt community.

PS - Shortened form of Photoshop, a common image manipulation tool for tagging and creating lps.

PR - Short for PlanetRenders, one of the largest and most advanced graphics forum for tagging, renders, and LPs.

Render - The focal or portion of a stock, with it's background removed for easier use. A good place to find renders is PlanetRenders.

Sig - Shortened form of signature, often used to describe tags.

Signature - The area at the bottom of your post, potentially containing an image, text, or both.

Sprite - A small image of a character ripped from a game. These have their own area of tagging, and are often created by Pixel Artists.
Single Sprite - Sprite Sheet - Sprite Tag

Stock - A photograph or otherwise similarly complete image. A good place to find stocks is Wallbase.
Example Stock 1 - Example Stock 2

Tag - A small piece of artwork made in a program such a PS or GIMP, generally smaller than 500x500, placed in ones signature area on forums and imageboards.

Tagging - The process of making a tag.

Tagnature - A tag designed to encompass the entire signature area.

These are just descriptions of how I see the terms.
Feel free to make any suggestions to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13936

Awesome guide Ben. Very good for someone who just started making tags and is still a little lost in everything.

DeletedUser

Might want to add Bg. Other than that, it's fairly complete.

BG added

DeletedUser

I was gunna add fractal, too, but my hands are too cold atm and I'm kinda tired.

DeletedUser

Can you let us edit that post or something? As mod can you do that?

DeletedUser18825

Yeah...
Things like these might need to be added:
CoA (probably not....)
Png.
Gif. (probably should do all of the formats :D)
Freestyle
Tut

lol, I just thought of some off the bottom of my head.

DeletedUser

OO, I don't think you can edit someone else's posts unless you are a mod...I suggest that everyone who wants to add something to this just write it as a reply and we can edit it into the original post.

DeletedUser

Do you not have the ability to make the post 'open'?

If not, a pity, but your suggestion would be no less effective.

DeletedUser

I can't seem to be able to do that...maybe I just don't know how to do it...so let's see if Ben can manage.

EDIT: I spoke to some other mods and apparently it is not possible to "open" a post...so just suggest your improvements as a reply.

DeletedUser

Gradient Map
Sprites
PixelArt
GFX