Closed Grepolis Riddles

Hydna

Grepolis Team
Solve the riddles to win Gold.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 22.06.24.png

There are 10 riddles here. Work out the answers and post below. Your answers will vanish but we can see them. If you wish to confirm they are there just message me.

Prizes:
  1. 2500
  2. 1500
  3. 1000
  4. 6 x 750
Prizes will be awarded to those who get the most answers right and if there are more than 9 then at random.

1. Artemis is off hunting bats. She has a bow and a quiver full of arrows. She finds a likely cave and starts shooting bats. She is highly accurate only missing 2. If she shoots an arrow at 12.00 and continues every minute for an hour until 13.00 how many bats has she shot?

2. Pheidippides was racing against Baudin in a 100 metre race. When Pheidippides crossed the finish line Baudin was only at the 90 metre line. Pheidippides suggested they try again (after all he’s training for a marathon). This time Pheidippides suggests he will start 10 metres behind. All other things being equal will Baudin win, lose or draw?

3. Poseidon has 10 Sirens, 10 hydra and 10 slingers. If we call the slingers Hydra how many Hydra does he have?

4. If 20 grepolis players time 20 attacks in 20 seconds how long will it take 1 player to time 1 attack?

5. Where does a Harpy like to hide?

6. Agamemnon assembled his fleet at the port of Aulis. It took 90 days for all the Greeks who had committed to the venture to arrive. Each day from day 1 to day 90 the fleet doubled in size. He launched 1000 ships on day 90. How long did it take him to assemble 500.

7. Aphrodite and Hades were faced in opposite directions. Aphrodite faced due east and Hades due west. They were on the top of Olympus where there is no reflection. How can they manage to see each other without walking around or turning their heads?

8. My dear Zeus said Hera ‘Therein lies the secret. There is a word in the English language that contains 10 words without rearranging any of the letters. What is that word?”

9. A Cerberus stands in front of the senate tied to a 5 metre rope. 6 metres behind the Cerberus is a trough filled with yummy Halloween pumpkins. The Cerberus is able to eat from the trough whenever he likes. How is this possible?

10. Athena has a lightship at her disposal, a luxurious one of a kind version. There is a ladder attached for mortals to climb if she invites them. The ladder is 3 metres high and the rungs are 30 cm apart. It is moored in the sea near the Hellespont. If the water rises at 60cm an hour how long will it take until the water covers the ladder?

This competition closes at 9am on 3rd November.

Last edited:

Hydna

Grepolis Team
Some great answers here but I don't think anyone has them all so everything to play for. There are no mirrors at the top of Olympus.

Clue: Think outside the box :)

Hydna

Grepolis Team

Hydna

Grepolis Team
Now for the correct answers:

1. Artemis is off hunting bats. She has a bow and a quiver full of arrows. She finds a likely cave and starts shooting bats. She is highly accurate only missing 2. If she shoots an arrow at 12.00 and continues every minute for an hour until 13.00 how many bats has she shot?

Ans: 59. Starting at 12.00 the 60th arrow is shot at 12.59 so she shoots 61 but misses 2.

2. Pheidippides was racing against Baudin in a 100 metre race. When Pheidippides crossed the finish line Baudin was only at the 90 metre line. Pheidippides suggested they try again (after all he’s training for a marathon). This time Pheidippides suggests he will start 10 metres behind. All other things being equal will Baudin win, lose or draw?

Ans: Baudin will lose again. By the time Baudin reaches the 90 metre mark Pheidippides will have caught him and then it’s the faster of the 2 for the last 10 metres.

3. Poseidon has 10 Sirens, 10 hydra and 10 slingers. If we call the slingers Hydra how many Hydra does he have?

Ans: 10. You can call a slinger an Hydra but it doesn't make it one. Sorry for the confusion in the capitals but I dont think it changed the outcome for anyone.

4. If 20 grepolis players time 20 attacks in 20 seconds how long will it take 1 player to time 1 attack?

Ans: 20 seconds

5. Where does a Harpy like to hide?

Ans: My answer was ‘in your claws it’ and a few players did get this. What do you mean terrible joke! @Spartan AD.
Here though a harpy is mythical so any answer works. Most of you obviously did some research and have come up with ‘in the wind/storm/air’ and a few suggested behind a wall with DLU since they are so useless in defence. Any answer got a mark including the player that said ‘illegal scripts’ that would be a very modern Harpy though!

6. Agamemnon assembled his fleet at the port of Aulis. It took 90 days for all the Greeks who had committed to the venture to arrive. Each day from day 1 to day 90 the fleet doubled in size. He launched 1000 ships on day 90. How long did it take him to assemble 500.

Ans: 89 - 500 then doubles to 1000 on day 90.

Here in retrospect the numbers don’t really work. That’s my fault. If 1 ship arrived on day 1 then the number on day 90 probably doesn’t even fit in the world! The question though told you 1000 on day 90 and asked for when that meant there were 500 and most got this.

7. Aphrodite and Hades were faced in opposite directions. Aphrodite faced due east and Hades due west. They were on the top of Olympus where there is no reflection. How can they manage to see each other without walking around or turning their heads?

Ans: They were already facing each other.

8. My dear Zeus said Hera ‘Therein lies the secret. There is a word in the English language that contains 10 words without rearranging any of the letters. What is that word?”

Ans: Therein – the, there, here, he, ere, re, rein, in, her, herein
I also accepted spared since although it was not the clue there are 10 words there if you count spared.

9. A Cerberus stands in front of the senate tied to a 5 metre rope. 6 metres behind the Cerberus is a trough filled with yummy Halloween pumpkins. The Cerberus is able to eat from the trough whenever he likes. How is this possible?

Ans: The rope is not tied to anything else.

10. Athena has a lightship at her disposal, a luxurious one of a kind version. There is a ladder attached for mortals to climb if she invites them. The ladder is 3 metres high and the rungs are 30 cm apart. It is moored in the sea near the Hellespont. If the water rises at 60cm an hour how long will it take until the water covers the ladder?

Ans: Never. The boat is attached to the ship and rises with the water level.

Note:
To the guy (I will not name) who thinks that the answer to everything is an illegal script please be aware that we have a list of approved scripts and this is a worrying response in particular to question 4! I did allow you 1 for the harpy hideout although why a harpy would choose that location is beyond me.