Grepolympia...is too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser30211

Try playing against a good player who is a big money spender. Your alliance ends up taking 2 cities out out 8 attempted but gives 140k defensive BP in the process. The money spender might have lost 2 cities, but he earned a lot more BP for his gold.
How was this possible. Try spending your gold and having a level 43 wall (yes level 43) in EACH of his cities every 12 hours. There is nothing that a whole alliance can do.
For the record, I am ranked 1 in my world, i normally buy a reasonable amount of gold and my alliance is rank 2 in the world. And i think there is a simple fix. apply a timer to all spells. Example, you can use each spell every 2 hours or every 12 hours. Thats it. That is enough to balance the game.

DeletedUser12667

I dont mind the grepolympics. It is kinda cool if you ask me. And for those who are ranting about goldies dropping a mint to gain an advantage, I am not using gold for it. If someone wants to spend a fortune to be #1 in a online game then that is cool with me. And if they take my cities as a result, then that is cool as well. The fun of playing with cool players(friends and foe), and the banter we share on the external forums(when players dont take it to heart and start insulting others) is well worth it to me.

I have noticed since 2.0 was released and some of the gold uses that have been added, there has been a focus on goldies and players having advantages. That may be so, but we shouldnt let that ruin what is fun for us. We need to focus more on what is fun that what we dont like. When people focus on what they like, then the little things like goldies and loosing cities makes no real difference. The fun in what makes grepo enjoyable to play overrides the negative.

So how about it everybody? Can we all make a pact to focus on what we like and let what we dont like go? Lets make the forums fun to read, not something that gets us in a tissy when we read.

DeletedUser

The fun in what makes grepo enjoyable to play overrides the negative.

That is your opinion, and you have a right to it. Unfortunately, for some of us, Grepolympia's unlimited re-entries override everything that makes Grepolis enjoyable.

So how about it everybody? Can we all make a pact to focus on what we like and let what we dont like go? Lets make the forums fun to read, not something that gets us in a tissy when we read.

If we ignore the game's flaws, they won't go away. The forum is the ideal place not only for praising the game, but also for suggesting improvements. (Limit the gosh-darn re-entries! Would anyone actually dislike this change?)

DeletedUser12667

That is your opinion, and you have a right to it. Unfortunately, for some of us, Grepolympia's unlimited re-entries override everything that makes Grepolis enjoyable.

If we ignore the game's flaws, they won't go away. The forum is the ideal place not only for praising the game, but also for suggesting improvements. (Limit the gosh-darn re-entries! Would anyone actually dislike this change?)

Aye it is my opinion. But with my way of looking at it, I dont let what I dont like ruin what I do like. And so what if someone gains an advantage by spending money. Kinda makes it real. The commanders with lots of wealth in ancient times had a great army to go with it. So those who spend the most money here in grepo will also have the greatest force. I see ideas on how to make the game more reality like to the actual time. If you ask me, grepolympics does just that.

And yes we need to point out game flaws, but there is a bug section to point out flaws. But when a post like this forum is posted, it draws out lots of negative thoughts from players who originally came to the forum to have a little fun banter with enemies in their current world. So a thread turns from just pointing out a dislike on something, to an all out rant-fest.

There is a saying some may know. It goes something like this: "Misery loves company. Lets let misery be lonely, no need to accompany it."

DeletedUser

Aye it is my opinion. But with my way of looking at it, I dont let what I dont like ruin what I do like. And so what if someone gains an advantage by spending money. Kinda makes it real. The commanders with lots of wealth in ancient times had a great army to go with it. So those who spend the most money here in grepo will also have the greatest force. I see ideas on how to make the game more reality like to the actual time. If you ask me, grepolympics does just that.

Making games realistic is not always good. It would be more realistic if you could never play Grepolis again once you lose all of your cities, but I think we'd all agree that this would be awful.

So the "makes it real" argument is not enough by itself.

And yes we need to point out game flaws, but there is a bug section to point out flaws.

We're not really discussing a bug, but a design flaw. I don't think the bug section would be appropriate.

But when a post like this forum is posted, it draws out lots of negative thoughts from players who originally came to the forum to have a little fun banter with enemies in their current world. So a thread turns from just pointing out a dislike on something, to an all out rant-fest.

There is a saying some may know. It goes something like this: "Misery loves company. Lets let misery be lonely, no need to accompany it."

It is unfortunate that some people rage in this thread. There are disruptive posters everywhere, but that doesn't mean that we should end the discussion because of them.

DeletedUser12667

Yes you are right, not all posts are rants, but they all are similar in context.

Point I am trying to make is we have this thread which has close to 200 replies in just 3 or 4 days, where a thread on something fun like make-a-god only has 39 replies in 5 months. Which brings me back to an earlier statement I made, lets let the dislikes go and focus on the likes. Or at least try to find a positive in a dislike. For example, a player drops lots of gold to buy spells to bolt you, well that gives you free pop, or a reason to farm so you can build something:)

DeletedUser

Point I am trying to make is we have this thread which has close to 200 replies in just 3 or 4 days, where a thread on something fun like make-a-god only has 39 replies in 5 months.

Good observation. Unhappy players do tend to be more vocal than happy ones. (For example, all of my posts have either been about Grepolympia or a random bug.)

Or at least try to find a positive in a dislike. For example, a player drops lots of gold to buy spells to bolt you, well that gives you free pop, or a reason to farm so you can build something:)

That's reasonable. Well then, something positive: apart from the unlimited re-entries, I think everything about Grepolympia is really well done. The daily rewards, the weekly rewards, the rankings, the training system... everything is simply fun, and looks professional as well.

DeletedUser

Could someone please explain to me what 'unlimited re-entries' is? This sounds like a similar fallacy spouted by people complaining about a certain other premium feature. It may have been mentioned in the thread, but this has spawned an enormous number of replies and I cannot be bothered reading all 18 pages to find it.

It is unsurprising that players are complaining and whining about a new concept or feature introduced to the game since the Grepolympics contains options for premium players that were available during the Easter break, which had similar whining and players sending moderators endless tickets bickering and making demands over something minor, and if anything, is quite fun with or without premium. The game is still about fighting, the grepolympics doesn't discourage offensive play, not even for people who participate in it unless they invest all their time in this and have one city (their risk, their loss), and nobody is forcing you to participate. It is not a design flaw to give players the options to get minor or moderate advantages if they are willing to pay.

DeletedUser

Could someone please explain to me what 'unlimited re-entries' is?

In Grepolympia, you can re-enter the competition as many times as you want by paying gold. This allows you to get as many laurels as you want, which allows you to get as many resources (or favor) as you want.

It is not a design flaw to give players the options to get minor or moderate advantages if they are willing to pay.

I agree. However, some of us (including me) believe that Grepolympia gives players a major advantage if they are willing to pay.

DeletedUser

In Grepolympia, you can re-enter the competition as many times as you want by paying gold. This allows you to get as many laurels as you want, which allows you to get as many resources (or favor) as you want.

What is the actual ratio here? I have stopped playing recently and haven't had a chance to try it out myself, but what is the returns on actually spending gold?

I agree. However, some of us (including me) believe that Grepolympia gives players a major advantage if they are willing to pay.

Well everything listed in the shop was around during the Easter break, and despite costing a player gold and having a time limit for each purchase of resources, spells, and bonuses; it received endless complaints. I think some players are a bit too hair-trigger sensitive when it comes to expanding premium options, as they are very limited in this game, well mainly the advisers but that is another subject altogether.

What is listed in the shop at the very least is fine, and the Grepolympics options are temporary.

DeletedUser

What is the actual ratio here? I have stopped playing recently and haven't had a chance to try it out myself, but what is the returns on actually spending gold?

50 coins get you at least 70 laurel (more if you train). 50 laurel give you 5000 resources (of one type) or 150 favor.

Well everything listed in the shop was around during the Easter break, and despite costing a player gold and having a time limit for each purchase of resources, spells, and bonuses; it received endless complaints.

There is no time limit in Grepolympia.

What is listed in the shop at the very least is fine, and the Grepolympics options are temporary.

In a single day, players who spend enough could max out all of their cities. In a month... I don't even want to think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

70 coins get you 5000 resources (of one type) or 150 favor.

There is no time limit in Grepolympia.

70 coins? That is 20 higher than Easter. Maybe the time limit missing is the distinction here, but it would cost a player 210 gold to get 5k of each, or 1,050 gold to get a full warehouse. That is a lot of gold.

In a single day, players who spend enough could max out all of their cities. In a month... I don't even want to think about it.

Weighing up the costs of actually building that first city would cost a player quite a bit of money, so barring that a player has an unrealistic and unlimited bank account, they might do it once or twice, but a whole month is inconceivable.

DeletedUser

70 coins? That is 20 higher than Easter. Maybe the time limit missing is the distinction here, but it would cost a player 210 gold to get 5k of each, or 1,050 gold to get a full warehouse. That is a lot of gold.

Weighing up the costs of actually building that first city would cost a player quite a bit of money, so barring that a player has an unrealistic and unlimited bank account, they might do it once or twice, but a whole month is inconceivable.

I apologize. I corrected my post, the ratio was wrong. It's the same as Easter.

One player apparently bought 20,000 laurel (!). The thing is, why allow these types of players to get as much as they want? If you just put a limit on the number of re-entries per day, it would only affect the players who are willing to spend crazy amounts. Which is a good thing.

DeletedUser

I apologize. I corrected my post, the ratio was wrong. It's the same as Easter.

One player apparently bought 20,000 laurel (!). The thing is, why allow these types of players to get as much as they want? If you just put a limit on the number of re-entries per day, it would only affect the players who are willing to spend crazy amounts. Which is a good thing.

So it is 150 gold for all 5k of each res, or 750 gold for a full warehouse. That is still a sizable amount to consume in a short space of time, I don't know many players in this game who would be willing to spend that much per day, let alone every day for a month, which would be 7-8k done at that rate. As you can start adding up, this would burn a sizable hole in most players pockets, which brings doubt to the idea that a player could do this for a solid month, let alone beyond that.

All the issues you raise are more related to accessibility based on time, instead of gold. The costs, I think you will agree, are more than enough.

DeletedUser30211

The wall error was a bug that was fixed, and nothing to do with gold spending.
Saska
Can you expand on that please? To me that was the biggest thing to groan about. All the other things are 'livable'.

DeletedUser22650

So it is 150 gold for all 5k of each res, or 750 gold for a full warehouse. That is still a sizable amount to consume in a short space of time, I don't know many players in this game who would be willing to spend that much per day, let alone every day for a month, which would be 7-8k done at that rate. As you can start adding up, this would burn a sizable hole in most players pockets, which brings doubt to the idea that a player could do this for a solid month, let alone beyond that.

All the issues you raise are more related to accessibility based on time, instead of gold. The costs, I think you will agree, are more than enough.

thats not the only way to abuse it though, when i left delphi at easter i wiped all my 40 odd cities worth of troops on my buddy fempt who had the double bp buff on and gained over 125k dbp and 4 slots for 0 losses, lucky that i decided to leave at that exact time but the events in this new format have a massive effect on the whole server, especially newer servers, ppl who are working hard shouldnt get wiped out or lose the ranks they worked hard to get for whats supposed to be a sub game, id like to see it played for awards only like the old events, fair enough add premium to help get the higher shiny's but lets keep the SUB part rather than taking over the entire game

DeletedUser

There is now a cooldown period for spending laurels at the grepolympics store:

4 hours for buying 5,000 resources
8 hours for buying 150 favor
12 hours to cast Happiness

Not sure about the others yet as I haven't purchased them recently. GhylTarvoke, you got your wish. Now it's fair.

DeletedUser27700

Finally!! There has been multiple people that i know from 2 worlds who have quit because of this. All used the administrators constantly but never resorted to buying their victories. I am afraid some damage has been done as certain people will have already quit not just one world but probably Grepolis because of Grepolympia. I just hope that the fine folks at Innogames will remember this if they do these types of sub games again.
lets keep the SUB part rather than taking over the entire game
Wise words DB

DeletedUser

thanks a lot for this most needed change :D
no more people going from #200 to #1 in 2 days, no more people losing all their units and having them back 2 hours later, no more casting 5 seastorms on the same attack. And just in time to save the new world from people coming out of protection with a full nuke and conquest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.