Helike Rumour Mill

• Thread starter DeletedUser17088
  • Start date

DeletedUser10962

Rumour has it eligos have to stack their players on the frontline with 2k biremes because the city next door doesn't know what a trip is

Silver Witch

Strategos
Rumour has it eligos have to stack their players on the frontline with 2k biremes because the city next door doesn't know what a trip is

Rumour has it that some focused stacking is useful for upsetting plans. Find another throne your majesty.

DeletedUser10962

Rumour has it that some focused stacking is useful for upsetting plans. Find another throne your majesty.

Why don't you come and try and knock me off mine? I wouldn't have said routinely clearingnoob was a plan just normal gameplay. I mean if he will call me out and stack troops behind no wall show me where all his offence is what did he expect?

At least you know where I am now I eagerly anticipate your attempts to siege me.

DeletedUser52814

you sure do like to complain about tactics
first the good players don't fake attack nonsense (i think you might have called it spam attacks but same idea) now the whole stacking frontline players thing

in a game where army size is capped and virtually all cities have the same troop capacity its a little hard to fight without fake attacks as sending troops on suicide missions is rather unproductive and given that an alarm exists to alert anyone of attack, defending is pretty easy
hence the tactic to make someone turn off their alarm so that you might have a chance to land an attack, its a very basic solution to a very simple problem

not stacking front line cities is risky why bother assuming risk when you don't need to
so what if there is a trip its not anyone else's responsibility to protect your frontline city why not stack some defense to hold you till you can get snipes arranged
its much easier to be preventive then reactionary its called strategy, some of us actually like to sleep at night :)

so i guess in this game what makes a good player is complaining about others using efficient strategies that are available to anyone to use and when you are losing blame cheap strategies, mras, pacts, pokemon etc anything else to divert responsibility from the fact that for each strategy or action there is a reaction or countermeasure

its nobody's fault but your own, adapt or perish its a pretty simple concept
if you don't like how the game is being played quit nobody is asking you to stick around and i can guarantee nobody will notice you quit
whining and complaining in the forums does nothing and will not bring back the glory days when you thought you were a good player, a good player can adapt and does not need to whine in the forums

just saying ;)

DeletedUser53017

You should probably do your homework before you start typing. Just saying.

DeletedUser10962

Ok I'm going to break this down for my friend here. I think tackling it point by point might be best here.

you sure do like to complain about tactics
first the good players don't fake attack nonsense (i think you might have called it spam attacks but same idea) now the whole stacking frontline players thing

Not sure when I moaned. It was more of an observation in both cases. The good players I know don't spam attack (well not in the way you're thinking) and the second was a comment on someone who challenged me. Spammed me losing loads of his troops then got cleared and sieged twice cried for help and ran to VM.

in a game where army size is capped and virtually all cities have the same troop capacity its a little hard to fight without fake attacks as sending troops on suicide missions is rather unproductive and given that an alarm exists to alert anyone of attack, defending is pretty easy
hence the tactic to make someone turn off their alarm so that you might have a chance to land an attack, its a very basic solution to a very simple problem

We clearly have differing views of what grepolis should look like. You evidently think there should be an easy way. I have always prided myself on finding ways to do things the hard way (note the 3 cs of eligos I killed because they sent no timed support to an internal I was inside so I saw the cs coming and sniped it on arrival). Also note the number I have landed on those where you took each others trips out allowing me easy uncontested steals. Where there is a will there is a way but I digress, if you're really going to spam someone have the common sense to a) do it in their offline time to disrupt their sleep and b) not let the stupid minimum attacks travel the entire way so they can be killed at poor ratios and c) not spam them the entire time you're online so they know the 6 hour window they're not being spammed is their offline time. Also if you believe that only by making a player turn their alarm off you can be effective it shows your lack of knowledge of strategy. Even when online it can be very easy to eliminate an enemy with the correct tactics however you seem to miss the finer points of grepolis tactics resorting to brute force rather than intelligent gameplay.

not stacking front line cities is risky why bother assuming risk when you don't need to
so what if there is a trip its not anyone else's responsibility to protect your frontline city why not stack some defense to hold you till you can get snipes arranged
its much easier to be preventive then reactionary its called strategy, some of us actually like to sleep at night :)

This is a nice story I particularly like the way you pretend it's part of a preventative strategy. Now that's a good plan however calling it preventative rather than reactionary in my humble opinion does gloss over the bit in between where you had to break the two sieges on his cities because they were under siege. Calling in all your allies to do so. This seems like it was more like a reactionary last resort but that's just me.

so i guess in this game what makes a good player is complaining about others using efficient strategies that are available to anyone to use and when you are losing blame cheap strategies, mras, pacts, pokemon etc anything else to divert responsibility from the fact that for each strategy or action there is a reaction or countermeasure

Now this is interesting to me. I can't work it out are you suggesting I'm a poor player for suggesting that what you're doing is taking the easy way out as an alliance. I will not argue that the way eligos conducts themselves is an effective way to win the world (assuming they can keep allies on board with the promise of rotating players in and out at the end for crowns). However I would and do argue that shows how far grepolis has come from when it was a fighting game to what it is now. Yes eligos+friends are by far and a way the best placed to win the world at the moment. Despite the fact that in their ranks they have a host of simmers and poor players (amongst some players I truly respect (toggish, sweetness dwarfthis amongst others I have played with before or know by reputation).

its nobody's fault but your own, adapt or perish its a pretty simple concept
if you don't like how the game is being played quit nobody is asking you to stick around and i can guarantee nobody will notice you quit
whining and complaining in the forums does nothing and will not bring back the glory days when you thought you were a good player, a good player can adapt and does not need to whine in the forums

just saying ;)

I'm not sure what is supposed to be my fault here? Personally I loved grepolis v1.26, do you know what I loved grepolis when the toolbox app came in, I loved it when the app came in, I love it when they brought in shared res and forums. However I have seen some of these changes cause knock on effects in how the game is played. This has lead to far fewer players regularly playing reducing the fun and challenge in the game. So when I see something that I feel is wrong I tend to voice my opinion (often why you'll find me in the ideas section). I'm pretty sure people would notice if I quit I'm afraid I'd leave a relatively sizeable hole in terms of ghosts if nothing else. I've never had illusions of being a good player I'm a great player it's why I've adapted and thrived since en6. Ask around a lot of your ally have played with or against me before you're very welcome to come and try your arm against me. I'm sure looking at your stats most of them would advise you against it but you might find it.... educational.[/QUOTE]

DeletedUser53189

ac745372cee943fbb8d3d3ba8a9a7050.png

DeletedUser48750

Ok I'm going to break this down for my friend here. I think tackling it point by point might be best here.

Not sure when I moaned. It was more of an observation in both cases. The good players I know don't spam attack (well not in the way you're thinking) and the second was a comment on someone who challenged me. Spammed me losing loads of his troops then got cleared and sieged twice cried for help and ran to VM.

We clearly have differing views of what grepolis should look like. You evidently think there should be an easy way. I have always prided myself on finding ways to do things the hard way (note the 3 cs of eligos I killed because they sent no timed support to an internal I was inside so I saw the cs coming and sniped it on arrival). Also note the number I have landed on those where you took each others trips out allowing me easy uncontested steals. Where there is a will there is a way but I digress, if you're really going to spam someone have the common sense to a) do it in their offline time to disrupt their sleep and b) not let the stupid minimum attacks travel the entire way so they can be killed at poor ratios and c) not spam them the entire time you're online so they know the 6 hour window they're not being spammed is their offline time. Also if you believe that only by making a player turn their alarm off you can be effective it shows your lack of knowledge of strategy. Even when online it can be very easy to eliminate an enemy with the correct tactics however you seem to miss the finer points of grepolis tactics resorting to brute force rather than intelligent gameplay.

This is a nice story I particularly like the way you pretend it's part of a preventative strategy. Now that's a good plan however calling it preventative rather than reactionary in my humble opinion does gloss over the bit in between where you had to break the two sieges on his cities because they were under siege. Calling in all your allies to do so. This seems like it was more like a reactionary last resort but that's just me.

Now this is interesting to me. I can't work it out are you suggesting I'm a poor player for suggesting that what you're doing is taking the easy way out as an alliance. I will not argue that the way eligos conducts themselves is an effective way to win the world (assuming they can keep allies on board with the promise of rotating players in and out at the end for crowns). However I would and do argue that shows how far grepolis has come from when it was a fighting game to what it is now. Yes eligos+friends are by far and a way the best placed to win the world at the moment. Despite the fact that in their ranks they have a host of simmers and poor players (amongst some players I truly respect (toggish, sweetness dwarfthis amongst others I have played with before or know by reputation).

I'm not sure what is supposed to be my fault here? Personally I loved grepolis v1.26, do you know what I loved grepolis when the toolbox app came in, I loved it when the app came in, I love it when they brought in shared res and forums. However I have seen some of these changes cause knock on effects in how the game is played. This has lead to far fewer players regularly playing reducing the fun and challenge in the game. So when I see something that I feel is wrong I tend to voice my opinion (often why you'll find me in the ideas section). I'm pretty sure people would notice if I quit I'm afraid I'd leave a relatively sizeable hole in terms of ghosts if nothing else. I've never had illusions of being a good player I'm a great player it's why I've adapted and thrived since en6. Ask around a lot of your ally have played with or against me before you're very welcome to come and try your arm against me. I'm sure looking at your stats most of them would advise you against it but you might find it.... educational.
[/QUOTE]

Eligos will not deny we have some less experienced players. But then everyone was a noob before they become a pro. If a player has shown passion and willingness to learn we offer a chance. And we assist our players. In my view, this player is trying. He is new and to fight against a pro player like you isn't really easy for him. I find no problem even if he made mistakes and he is improving. Sportsmanship is as important as victory.

In fact, your target player was in the same team with you before, if you think he is poor player/simmer why would you take him in the first place and why won't you help him to improve ?

You are only targeting a small number of players formerly in your own team. I wonder how much you really know about Eligos.

DeletedUser10962

Eligos will not deny we have some less experienced players. But then everyone was a noob before they become a pro. If a player has shown passion and willingness to learn we offer a chance. And we assist our players. In my view, this player is trying. He is new and to fight against a pro player like you isn't really easy for him. I find no problem even if he made mistakes and he is improving. Sportsmanship is as important as victory.

In fact, your target player was in the same team with you before, if you think he is poor player/simmer why would you take him in the first place and why won't you help him to improve ?

You are only targeting a small number of players formerly in your own team. I wonder how much you really know about Eligos.

Interesting you think he's improving each to their own I guess he was sustaining heavier and heavier losses because he wasn't learning to adapt. Yes it is true I was in pyth with him, however when you look at the leadership of that alliance I wasn't in it so it wouldn't have been my choice. You look at who was in the leadership you can see why he would have been allowed to sim along. I think you'll find I just attack red cities near me whilst it's true this means most of them are mercenaries players that's more of a geographical issue than anything else. What I know of eligos is they often claim they have no pacts, then very few but my sieges on the get incomings from 3 other alliances. Don't get me wrong it's effective just funny when they're claiming they don't like to pact when the evidence clearly doesn't support it.

Edit: I will leave this here as I'm now clearly derailing the rumor mill which is sad

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver Witch

Strategos
Mmm i dont want to spoil the rumours either but its me that keeps on about pacts so i feel i have to.

There are 7 oceans with Eligos members and on one border only we are pacted. True expansion has merged things a little since it was agreed but its not been a pact to sim situation. We have played this whole server as best we could. We have a mix of experience and we have adapted accordingly. Some learn slower than others - that is true in all alliances. We like fighting - after all thats the game.

I think its a rare siege that has incomings from 3 alliances, mostly with our empire that just wouldn't be practical. You are close to our pacted border Your Majesty you provide a lot of fun :).

DeletedUser53189

Rumor has it that "Dragons Rising" is an appropriate name for an alliance if we named our alliances in the opposite fashion of what our alliances are actually doing.