Hericles wants to rant

DeletedUser

OK, I alliance hop... everyone knows this. Everytime I leave an alliance I get invites to alliances that have a points total less than my own and that are the other side of the world! WHY??

If they want a nice guy to look after them then they are looking in the wrong place... if they want a "figurehead", then they are definately looking in the wrong place... I attract enemies like a fly on a .. err... doughnut.

I also get annoyed by those invites with follow up mails saying.. "you wanna join yes or no??".. err my rejection of your offer was a hint!! I had one yesterday from some guy - Phonecians perhaps, trying to persuade me I would benefit from joining their alliance. Irionically the only member of theirs in my home ocean has been an intermittant farm pf mine for six months!

This brings me to the question - are alliances even necessary for top 50 players? We all have our personal allies which mean more than any alliance could in many ways.

Beta is not the same world it was six, or even three months ago.

oh yeah... "You have just been invited into the Afti Einai I Sparti alliance"... umm case in point.. their most active player is inactive, and they are a punchbag!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lugosi

Strategos
ahh yes uildanach was running from Amazonia; ironically his vm caught him up in the end. AEIS has had some good players and still does e.g. kingjames, he was doing well against leurda of Xmortis who was double his size at the time and took two cities and was then caught off guard by the rise of The Furious; who have proven themselves in ocean 15. Then there is stevo666 who is fighting alongside Pheno down in 46 and seems to do okay considering the onslaught he gets and the amount of time he is limited to spend on here and there's still quite a few hard grafters in there who keep going through the hard times.

DeletedUser

But JT, are alliances even necessary when a player dominates an entire ocean?

DeletedUser

Hericles, I guess you can look at it from different point of views. No you don't need an alliance if you dominate the whole ocean but yes you need an alliance when things go down because things won't always go your way. You will most likely get more messages from alliances so you can join them. All you have to do is not even open the message and hope they attack you thinking your inactive. But let's talk, who cares if one person over a million points is allianceless.

DeletedUser

But let's talk, who cares if one person over a million points is allianceless.

I don't, but a hell of a lot of people seem to. TBH at this point of the game I have many PAs so I really don't think I'll be number 1 target anytime soon.
I still attack those I choose no matter what alliance I'm in.. attacking people is a good way to find the nature of a player, and I've found some diamonds in amongst the stones.

Lugosi

Strategos
But JT, are alliances even necessary when a player dominates an entire ocean?

well it depends, I mean I think your a lucky guy because all big alliances are occupied with Pheno atm whereas if that wasn't occuring you'd probably be under fire because thats essentially what alliances do when there not at war; take down single players and random stragglers but still I agree in Beta's current situation you don't necessarily need an alliance because you're rank 1 in 44 by just over 200k and you have a close bund of cities in south east 44 whereas the next best player is in north west 44 and is in Pheno so you're not gonna be getting any substantual players pressure at this moment in time and there are plenty of inactives in 44 to target and as I understand your still on the offensive against Pheno so there is lots of them about aswell ;).

DeletedUser

I'll concede one thing JT.. yes I'm lucky.. good choice of alliances and strong activity early in the game put me where I am now.

As for becoming a target... who would you attack... semi active 5 city guy or 80 city guy? If you chose 80 city guy well done for showing cohones, but it's really not a recipie for success.

DeletedUser

I don't, but a hell of a lot of people seem to. TBH at this point of the game I have many PAs so I really don't think I'll be number 1 target anytime soon.
I still attack those I choose no matter what alliance I'm in.. attacking people is a good way to find the nature of a player, and I've found some diamonds in amongst the stones.

Then worry about your PA's and yourself and you should be fine. Ignore/Block alliances spamming you with messages. But I see your point it must get annoying after a couple times. Just make your own alliance called allianceless,etc.

DeletedUser

Just make your own alliance called allianceless,etc.
Yes, done this in the past.. Ich Dein, Ronin and probably a few other half assed attempts.

You still get the silly mails... but hey, I'm just ranting :)
I think it's the "you need us" from 1 day a week players that gets me :)

Lugosi

Strategos
As for becoming a target... who would you attack... semi active 5 city guy or 80 city guy? If you chose 80 city guy well done for showing cohones, but it's really not a recipie for success.

well if we weren't at war, you remember in Pheno we used to take down single players in ops and overwhelm them. Obviously a single player isn't gonna target you unless they're maybe of proportionate size but big alliances would target you because if they have allies surrounding in an area then too gain cities they only have one way and if they want a challenge it will inevitably be you as you will give the greater source of cities.

DeletedUser

That is also true.

But no one alliance is going to ever take down a whole player. What I mean is they won't take every single city, they can try to make you quit that is all. Most of us has passed the point where no one alliance can take down a well sized player that is decently active.

Lugosi

Strategos
But as long as I'm active I casn just take greys...

yeah, there are plenty in 44 and inactives as you will know :p but if that wasn't the case and there were not big ghosts to take then you would be up against it. Probably end up moving on to less densely populated territory or take on whoever is dominating the ocean single handedly which would be good to see but that situation is unlikely to occur where you are because there's no real dominated oceans unlike what I've seen in other worlds.

DeletedUser

JT and Huicho.. good points.. which brings me on to rant part 2...

The fall of Phenomen (and it was a fall) was in large part due to the recruitment of refugees and enemy players. At what point in the game will an alliance NOT recruit a large active threat? Because as long as they will, I could always guarentee my safety :)

DeletedUser

Alliance forums really help in coordinating, so that's a plus

DeletedUser

Rant part 3...
There should be a feature that prevents you from receiving invites to alliances if you so choose :)
I tend to reject invitations when I'm allianceless on a daily basis...

I then get mails along the lines of;
Will you join us?
No.
Why not, we're a really cool alliance (with 10 members and 50k points)
No thanks.

Gets a bit boring after the 3rd iteration.

The latest invite now comes with promises of leadership status... and if they are stupid enough to grant me that I'll kick all their members! Maybe then they'll get the message!

Really though, a top 20 player who is allianceless is that by choice (or they've quit). It's pretty obvious. Needless to say the offers I receive are from alliances that are oceans away and there is simply no merit in me being part of said alliances.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

To be honest Hericles it seems you have the perfect existence. You don't have to organise anyone or anything and can do whatever you like whenever you so choose without any thought... If the only problem you have is people inviting you to their alliances, then you're doing well. Can't you ask the mods to block all invites to you?

DeletedUser

Can't you ask the mods to block all invites to you?

But then there'd be nothing for me to rant about ;)

... it's the silly pointless mails and the failure to take "no" for an answer that get me. I was brought up not to ignore people, but perhaps sometimes I should.

Lugosi

Strategos
Rant part 3...
There should be a feature that prevents you from receiving invites to alliances if you so choose :)
I tend to reject invitations when I'm allianceless on a daily basis...

I then get mails along the lines of;
Will you join us?
No.
Why not, we're a really cool alliance (with 10 members and 50k points)
No thanks.

Gets a bit boring after the 3rd iteration.

The latest invite now comes with promises of leadership status... and if they are stupid enough to grant me that I'll kick all their members! Maybe then they'll get the message!

Really though, a top 20 player who is allianceless is that by choice (or they've quit). It's pretty obvious. Needless to say the offers I receive are from alliances that are oceans away and there is simply no merit in me being part of said alliances.

That would be a key feature for a player like you and there are many so it is warrantable, also you can block pact invitations so why not alliance invitations. Good point Hericles; maybe you should pop over to the ideas forum and submit it. Being you must be like being most players at the beginning of worlds but all the time; funny to respond to these messages but it is annoying after a while