How to Improve your GFX (GIMP)

DeletedUser

Ok, people, welcome to the 'How to improve your GFX' GIMP guide. I will be teaching some tricks which make your work look a lot better.

This is for people who already have some experience with GIMP. If you do not, I suggest you go here:

Carf's Basic Guide to GIMP

also, you might want to go past some guides on DeviantArt or other GFX websites.

OK, lets get started!

C4Ds:

C4Ds are objects made in Cinema 4D, they are abstract and can be used really well to create nice effects. Here is an example of a piece of work that I used C4Ds in.

fightin.png

You see the abstract shapes, they are C4Ds.

Ok, how to place one into your work.

1) Get a Stock Image (This is not a render, this is an image with a background).

2) Download some nice C4Ds. I recommend searching for them on DeviantArt.

3) Open a nicely sized project page. I usually work in 640x400. Make the background transparent.

4) Go and open your stock as a layer. (Open as Layers).

5) Select a main focus point. As seen in my example, I chose the big soldier. I would say that big objects are the best focus points.

6) Render the character or object that you have chosen and save the render as. (A render is something without a background). I would suggest the free-select tool, the render does not necessarily have to be perfect. Save this somewhere for later use.

7) Place your C4D (You can use multiple) somewhere on your main project page. Placing the center of the C4D somewhere on the main character gives the best effect.

8) Once you have done this, change the layer mode to overlay/screen, depending on what you want. Overlay makes it dark, screen makes it light.

9) Merge all the layers. (Merge Visible Layers).

10) Now open your main character/object render, put it on top of the main character on the original render.

11) Add some text which matches with your GFX and save as a .png. Now upload it to imageshack or photobucket and share with everyone!

I will be putting tutorials for new tricks every few days or so. Next I will be doing Transparency and it's uses. If you have any requests, post them in the comments section below. Also, if any mod could sticky this, that would be awesome!

Edit: Yes, I realise this should be in Graphics and Media, if a mod could move this, please do.