Beginner How to make sigs?

• Thread starter DeletedUser4577
  • Start date

DeletedUser

i've only been using gimp for a few weeks now but it's much better than photoshop FOR BEGINNERS. lots of people can make really good images with gimp and not have to pay 200$ for it. derek the reason why you can resize the image to exactly how you want it is because the background is too small. you have to make a new layer FIRST. make it the size you want the image to be the size of then go into file, open as layers, then then click the image that you wanna resize. then you can resize it to fit the background. that's usually what i do.
i use this thing called WinZip to download fonts and paintbrushes. it's 30$ but they give it to you free for 45 days. personally in that 45 days, i'm gonna try to download as many things as i can so that i wont need to buy to because i wont need to download anything else.
this is how you use it (after i spent a while figuring it out):
the way it works for me is that you first go into gimp. you open that up, make a new layer, then ON GIMP you click edit, preferences, then this really confusing page should pop up. on that page there should be a folders button on the left hand side. if there's a folders button and other folders below that then find the paintbrush or font folder (depending which you want to download). if there arent folders below the folders tab then click on the folders tab. the folders you need are brushes/fonts and gimp 2.6. their both in the other tab when you hit the down arrow. once you find them in there, without xing it out, bring up winzip. this thing might pop up if you got it free for 45 days. just click the use evalution verson. another confusing page with pop up and on that you have to go into either zip my files or the little blue tab next to the home button. click on either than you can find the font/paintbrush you want. click on the font/paintbrush so that it appears on the lines below. ok so here's where the fonts/paintbrush thing gets switched up. go into the start menu on your computer. look up either fonts or brushes depending which you wanna download. once you have that, click on the FOLDER, not everything else. there should be a FILE for brushes and fonts. click on the one you want. once you have that put winzip and the brushes/fonts folder on the small screen thing so that you can see both of the pages. on winzip, click and drag all the fonts/brushes you want into the correct folder. once you done, x out everything and bring gimp back up. the font/brush should appear on there.
keep note that i use a dell computer, not a mac. and sorry if this is confusing.

DeletedUser18825

i've only been using gimp for a few weeks now but it's much better than photoshop FOR BEGINNERS. lots of people can make really good images with gimp and not have to pay 200$ for it. derek the reason why you can resize the image to exactly how you want it is because the background is too small. you have to make a new layer FIRST. make it the size you want the image to be the size of then go into file, open as layers, then then click the image that you wanna resize. then you can resize it to fit the background. that's usually what i do.
i use this thing called WinZip to download fonts and paintbrushes. it's 30$ but they give it to you free for 45 days. personally in that 45 days, i'm gonna try to download as many things as i can so that i wont need to buy to because i wont need to download anything else.
this is how you use it (after i spent a while figuring it out):
the way it works for me is that you first go into gimp. you open that up, make a new layer, then ON GIMP you click edit, preferences, then this really confusing page should pop up. on that page there should be a folders button on the left hand side. if there's a folders button and other folders below that then find the paintbrush or font folder (depending which you want to download). if there arent folders below the folders tab then click on the folders tab. the folders you need are brushes/fonts and gimp 2.6. their both in the other tab when you hit the down arrow. once you find them in there, without xing it out, bring up winzip. this thing might pop up if you got it free for 45 days. just click the use evalution verson. another confusing page with pop up and on that you have to go into either zip my files or the little blue tab next to the home button. click on either than you can find the font/paintbrush you want. click on the font/paintbrush so that it appears on the lines below. ok so here's where the fonts/paintbrush thing gets switched up. go into the start menu on your computer. look up either fonts or brushes depending which you wanna download. once you have that, click on the FOLDER, not everything else. there should be a FILE for brushes and fonts. click on the one you want. once you have that put winzip and the brushes/fonts folder on the small screen thing so that you can see both of the pages. on winzip, click and drag all the fonts/brushes you want into the correct folder. once you done, x out everything and bring gimp back up. the font/brush should appear on there.
keep note that i use a dell computer, not a mac. and sorry if this is confusing.

I don't mean to troll or anything, but Photoshop is better for beginners, because learning from the best first saves time. If you got good at gimp, then wanted to upgrade, it would almost be like re-learning the whole process. You should buy Photoshop Elements (around $50-100), and then upgrade to CS- versions when you have learned a lot.

An example would be: You want to become a (American type (NFL)) football player. You play with some local friends. a free, but unorganized group (gimp). Then you decide to play it big. You want to upgrade. (into organized leagues). Which would be photoshop. You would have to re-learn and re-think the whole idea of football. (because freestyle and organized (football) are way different)

So, try out gimp a little, and if you decide you want to stick with graphic designing, get (at least) PS Elements. Don't waste time learning something that is more unprofessional than what is available. PS is the way to go.

Sorry for the weird example and trolling. I just want to get my point across.

DeletedUser

i'm just saying its better to learn stuff on gimp first, you know get used to the entire process, decide you like it, before you spend 50-200$ on photoshop to figure out its too confusing and you dont like it.

DeletedUser18825

Gimp is different than PS. There can be people that do gimp, and think that they hate graphic designing. But then, they try photoshop, and they love it.

It is always best to start out with the best. Another football example. You signed up for a (free) organized football group. It is time to collect your pads. There are two choises: free pads that aren't the same, or as good, or pads that cost a little bit of money, but are professional and safe. If he decided to get the free pads (Gimp), he would get hurt way easier, and he would get too used to the odd shape of these pads. Then, he would switch to the better ones, and regret even using the free ones.

DeletedUser

i'm just saying its better to learn stuff on gimp first, you know get used to the entire process, decide you like it, before you spend 50-200$ on photoshop to figure out its too confusing and you dont like it.
Well...if you know where to go you don't necessarily have to worry about spending cash... ;)

DeletedUser18825

When my brother went to college, we got Photoshop for free. So if you are going to college, you can ask for it or for a discount.

Gimp is for people who don't intend on becoming advanced, IMO.

DeletedUser

Gimp is for people who don't intend on becoming advanced, IMO.

now you're exaggerating..
At the level we're both at it doesn't matter at all. Only for the advanced designers GIMP will not be good enough anymore, but then you can easily switch to PS. GIMP is more user-friendly for beginners.

DeletedUser

i still think that gimp is better for beginners. its free and (like PS) easy to use once you understand all of it. the only difference between them is that
1. gimp is always free and PS usually costs money.
2. PS is more advanced than gimp
i'm done arguing now.

DeletedUser

oh yeah one last thing:
Well...if you know where to go you don't necessarily have to worry about spending cash... ;)
where exactly are you talkin' 'bout, 'cause i think i might download so that i can see which i like more, gimp or PS. the only reason i didnt buy it to begin with is because my sis uses gimp so she taught me how to use it and because PS costs money that i dont have.

DeletedUser

we can't (before anyone tries) advertise illegal methods of downloading PS on these forums, I am pretty sure it would come with an instantaneous IP ban.

DeletedUser

Lol, the post would be deleted, no ban :p
The mods don't check every PM send though *wink wink*

DeletedUser

you guys can check PM's??? (don't let daizan hear that, he will have a field day) haha

and skype me for added security from the mods kerneiving ways :p

DeletedUser4577

Lol, Well at least my post brought this area to life. ;)

I also like hearing all this as it brings a lot of things to light to someone starting out.

Also, For those - Just my opinion - that arent even sure about wanting to Sig as an ongoing project the free benefits add some appeal to the process.