I want to learn programming, where should I start?

DeletedUser

So, I have been interested in programming for quite a while, however, When typing, learning to program into your google search bar, nothing impressive comes up. Would anyone like to help me with programming?

DeletedUser

Well for a language to start off with I would recommend vb.net
The syntax is very easy to understand and is easy to learn. From there you could always branch out into more powerful languages.

DeletedUser

I would start off in java. Not only because the syntax is transferable to other languages, such as javascript or PHP, both used for browser games, but because it is multipurpose. You can do just about anything with it.
For how to start, get some books, if you can afford them. I recomend Java programing from the beginning, by K N King. If not, go to http://www.javabeginner.com/. The official java site can be used to learn advanced concepts, but for a beginner, it is too technical. Any questions, skype me at pixlepix or pm me.

DeletedUser

I would recommend you to start with programming principles, dig a bit into what is an algorithm, try to understand the logic behind the programs, then see what you actually prefer. Maybe you're more like into web programming, maybe in graphics, maybe some algorithms, maybe some security.
If you don't start with the basics, starting directly with a program might make you hate this thing or lose time learning something that you'll actually dislike. Why not follow some courses at basic levels, for algorithms and programming methods?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think probably all the advice here is good, especially fbi's and crss'. VB.net is really easy. (I think? I don't know It's been a long time since I touched any language with 'Basic' in it's name - last one was visual basic 4.0 I think)

But above all - ask yourself why do you want to program? What would you do if you could? Try to have a goal and go towards it. If it's your goal to create powerful engines for PS3 or some other such high end hardware, start off by learning C++ or at least java and getting the basics, making really simple programs.

The core of programming is really about breaking down much larger tasks into many smaller ones. I think the same can be said of learning to do it. :) Above all have fun.

Really, the most important thing is trying to figure out what you will do with it. If you are going to be a web programmer, Java/Javascript is where you should go. If you want to be a video game programmer, learn C/C++ or C# if you want to do XNA stuff (Windows/Xbox 360 only).

Tell me where you want to go and I'll try to steer you closer to the right direction. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Web programming was the way I wanted to go. I don't want to be a PS3 game developer later in life (want to be a lawyer/diplomat), I think web programming is always a handy thing to have though.

DeletedUser

i totally agree with kolgax, HTML is the place to start and since it's not something really new there's plenty of infos and tutorials you'll find online.
Good luck and welcome on the programing side

DeletedUser

I hear ruby is a good start also.

I know basic HTML, I'm looking into PHP atm.

DeletedUser5

Definitely start with xHTML, it will almost certainly be needed for all web programming.

Once you are confident with xHTML, learn how to link in CSS, and then start making mock up pages. Of course the best way to learn programming is to practice, practice, practice.

Only when you are confident with both of these, should you try adding in PHP, Javascript, Perl, or any other language.

If you have any problems with your codes, post them in here, and someone will be able to offer a solution ;)

Also, if you haven't already, check out www.w3schools.com

DeletedUser

That website is amazing. Progress is coming.. a bit slow, but it's coming.

DeletedUser

html is the start for web.

PHP is easy but it promotes bad habits.

Java is good but is very strict. (And I have no use for it.)

DeletedUser5

html is the start for web.

PHP is easy but it promotes bad habits.

Java is good but is very strict. (And I have no use for it.)

If you have no use for Java, then you have no use for programming. Java can be applied to pretty much anything, which is the beauty about it.

DeletedUser

If you have no use for Java, then you have no use for programming. Java can be applied to pretty much anything, which is the beauty about it.

Java is not good for web design unless you're making some sort of MMO. That's why I have no use for it.

Javascript, however, is.

DeletedUser5

Java is not good for web design unless you're making some sort of MMO. That's why I have no use for it.

Javascript, however, is.

You have a point, Javascript was created specifically for web applications though.

I do enjoy programming in Java though.

DeletedUser

I don't mean to weigh in without cause, but I'm a web developer, programming entirely in Java. Java is excellent for web applications! In fact the market currently is moving away from Java being installed on the OS, so for Java webapps are where it's at, plus that's the way the market is anyway (see Chromium etc). But Java is superb! Whilst PHP is (in my opinion) better because of the universality of the language, Java is far more powerful and far quicker to write code with.

OrangeOpti as far as your question, it depends how deep you want to get. If you want websites with little to no technical ability (say display, info or showcase websites) you can get very very far with html, css and javascript(use jQuery library). those three alone will take some time - I thoroughly agree with ac04 w3schools is a superb place to learn, I certainly spent a long long time reading through their stuff.

If you want to get into technical, functional websites (forum code or CMS stuff) then you have to learn PHP. Java is technical, and took me a three year degree to get a decent level of knowledge, even then I learn new stuff every day in my job. PHP is excellent to get to know, if you feel you can handle it, program in CodeIgniter (a PHP framework) because it is very easy to get that functional stuff working.

Try this tutorial if you're interested in PHP:
http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/codeigniter-from-scratch-day-1/

Sorry for lengthy post! I'm massively passionate about this.

DeletedUser

I know this is a little late, but if you want to do web programming our company has had the best results with the following path:

1 - HTML (everything ends up HTML in the end, understanding this is very important)
2 - CSS

Then Pick:
1 - C#/SQL - If you use windows, not the best combo if your running Linux.
2 - PHP/MySQL - If you use linux/open source type software

At this point you will be able to create pages, work with databases, use code logic to give intelligence, etc.

After that its really up to you. You may want to go to JavaScript/JQuery/Ajax for more user interface based type stuff, or learn more about SQL, Entity Framework/MVC type stuff if you want to go enterprise application style.

The w3schools site is awesome, I love that place. http://www.asp.net has video tutorials and sample applications to help if you take C# path (I would skip VB, C# can do anything it can do better, except maybe login scripts)