I wrote to the White House !

DeletedUser

Some time ago I wrote to the White House (The President Obama) expressing my concerns about USA's role in the "Ukrainian vs Russia" crisis. After about 6 months I got a reply. I understand that Obama did not personally write me and the text is composed by some speech/text writing monkey but I am a little bit...shocked and, at the same time, entertained by the response I got. I will leave it to you to make your own judgement.

Thank you for writing. By his actions, Russian President Vladimir Putin has demonstrated a rejection of the bedrock principles of European and global security. The occupation and attempted annexation of the Crimean Peninsula in Ukraine, Russia’s ongoing destabilizing activities in eastern Ukraine, the support of Syria’s brutal dictator Bashar al‑Asad, and the crackdown on basic civil liberties within its own borders have only served to increase Russian isolation from the rest of the world. The United States has reiterated our commitment to defend ourselves and our allies against Russian intimidation and hostility and to work to ensure Russia’s coercion against its neighbors does not succeed.

My Administration has strongly condemned Russia’s occupation of Crimea, which violates international law and Ukrainian territorial sovereignty. We responded by joining our allies to swiftly enact economic sanctions targeting top individuals in the Russian government and arms industry, as well as the critical financial, energy, and defense sectors of their economy. Additionally, the United States has reinforced our commitment to NATO and collective defense by coordinating with our allies to temporarily relocate military equipment and conduct training exercises in Baltic and Central European countries. And in order to make our partners in this region more resilient against Russian coercion and aggression, we are working to strengthen democratic institutions, embrace open economies, and diversify energy supplies.

The United States will continue to work with Russia in areas where we share pragmatic common interests, including promoting nonproliferation, advancing nuclear safety and security, preventing atrocities and humanitarian crises, and combatting violent extremism and terrorism. In this spirit of cooperation, we invite Russia to work toward an inclusive transition of power in Syria and to end their attempts to prop up Asad—a dictator rejected by a majority of the Syrian people.

Since the end of the Cold War, America’s goal has been to integrate a strong and prosperous Russia into the international community as a constructive stakeholder through investment, trade, and security cooperation. As President, I welcome the day when Russia returns as a participant in the international system that is willing to respect the territorial integrity of countries and the rights of individual citizens. America stands with our allies when Russian leadership takes action to undermine these aims, and we will continue to lead with persistent, steady resolve.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

DeletedUser

Are people who aren't Obama, allowed to sign off as Obama? I could understand if it said at the bottom "White house respresentative" or something, but the end kinda makes me feel like there's no legitimacy in the letter whatsoever. On the other hand, you really could have had a response from Obama, how about that?