Wish List Idea: Alternate Endgame - Persian Invasion

DeletedUser54886

Proposal: To make a new endgame option called Persian Invasion (the Greek's main enemies)

Reason: Current endgame has its positives and negatives, its more about resources and building than war, and this would provide an alterative... it could be enacted when a world reaches endgame, the players have 1 week to select which endgame they would prefer... Peace (World Wonders) or War (Persian Invasion)... a simple majority wins and that is how that world ends...

Added advantage: With both endings being an option, it means you can plan a little for the end, but not fully as one will require lots of defence, the other lots of offence, so it should mean that people will wait to see the results before enacting their plan...and possibly spend more gold to do it more rapidly...

Details:
BASIC CONCEPT
The essence of the Persian Invasion end would be in line with the war theme of the game in general... and would play out as follows...

After the required amount of world points is reached a new fortress will appear on each World Wonder site that only has cities of a single alliance on the island.

THE FORTRESS
This fortress will be nearly impregnable, it will begin with a level 30 wall and can only be attacked by land. It will also be populated with 50,000 units of a new soldier type called a "Persian". Making the city a challenge for any alliance.

To conquer the fortress you must clear it then send in a "Diplomat". This new special unit will be needed to conquer the fortress and will be available in the 4th slot of a level 36 Academy.

Each fortress automatically re-enforces its troops at a rate of 5% of the remaining troops per day up to the maximum limit of 50,000 Persians, this would give them approximately 1,000,000 Defence points and 50,000 Battle Points per fortress.

Enemy or friend alliances can help to block the conquest of a fortress by summoning "Immortals" to it. These special units would cost 500 Favor of any god to summon 1. An alliance can see that a fortress is under attack via the burning torch on the top of the fortress... the torch goes out if it returns to full strength. Immortals are also super-numerary and as many as you want can be placed in the fortress.

When a fortress is conquered, the player who sent the diplomat is provided with a choice of two randomly selected benefits from the list below... they must select which one to activate and the alliance lives with that choice. Unlike World Wonder enhancements, these apply to the cities of that island only.

Flying units from other islands can also participate in the attack, but with the level of defence this has, it would significantly drain an alliance of these units making them quite vulnerable to waste these on the fortress... they may be necessary though if a large group of Immortals start appearing there...

WINNING
The aim is that after the first 50 fortresses are conquered if any alliance gains 25% of the conquered fortresses, they win. If an alliance loses a city on an island with a conquered fortress the fortress gets destroyed to rubble. This adds a unique complexity that you must build a massive offensive force to take the fortress, but defend the cities until the conquest is complete and you can rebuild them as defensive positions.

UNITS
Diplomat: POP:100,ATTACK: Blunt 1, Defence:1,1,1,SPEED:1, AVAILABLE: Academy 34, COST: 20k Wood, 20k Stone, 20k Silver
This new unit has two new purposes, its first is the conquest of the fortress when it has been beaten, but secondly it can add another element to the game of an ability to negotiate a peaceful takeover of farms.

Persian: POP:1, ATTACK: Sharp 20, Defence:20/20/20, SPEED:10, AVAILABLE: Not to players.
This unit forms the backbone of the Persian defence, they are a well armed, equipped soldier that come in mass to defend the Persian Fortresses.

Immortal: POP:50, ATTACK: Sharp 500, Defence 500/500/500, SPEED 25, AVAILABLE: Not to players. These units appear in a fortress by clicking on it and selecting "Summon Immortal" they cost 500 Favor of the god of your current city and are designed as a means to block enemy conquest of Fortresses.

EFFECTS
When a fortress is conquered, the following list of effects can be enacted (remember you get 2 at random to chose from and can only have 1):
1. Warehouse: The fortress grants its enormous warehouse space to the victor adding 5000 units of capacity to every warehouse on the island.
2. Production: You discover the fortress contains new mining techniques and tools increasing the production of your resources by 50%.
3. Great Temple: You discover in the fortress a great temple, the gods smile upon you and increase the favor production in all cities on the island by 20%.
4. Route to India: You discover a map containing the mythical route to India, all units (Land & Air) on the island have their speed doubled.
5. Elephant Strength: You find the secrets of controlling the amazing elephants enlisted by the Persians, your mythical units from the island are all 20% stronger and 20% cheaper to produce.
6. Victory Parade: With your parade of victory through the fortress your citizens become enthusiastic and fight with a renewed vigour. All non-myth units produced on the island are 25% stronger.
7. Arabian Sails: You discover the triangular sail used by the amazing Arabs, with this new technique all your ships from the island become 50% faster and 50% stronger.
8. Population Explosion: Each city on the island gains an extra 500 population permanently.

Visual Aids: N/A

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
None that we can see...

CREDIT: Notmad, Rachel L & Kreeos... Original proposal refined and re-presented...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser54192

I like the idea in general, but I'm a bit hesitant about the effects? It is fun to have a set of effects, but I don't feel that the effects are particularly balanced.

- I feel as though, compared to the others, 'Warehouse' is rather weak. Yes, you get 5000 extra storage (I presume for each resource type), which means that in theory you could queue up more units while using a COTO or Population Growth, but I feel that most people would choose one of the other effects over this one, unless you happened to have longer offline times and your warehouse often maxed out somehow.
- For 'Route to India', does the effect apply only to land units (and fliers), or to naval units as well?

I know that it is very hard to achieve these bonuses, but I'm not sure if the power level for most of them (except for Warehouse, and possibly Route to India if it doesn't apply to naval units), is a bit high. I'm only playing my first WW now, and not really on the frontlines, so these bonuses might not be as powerful as they sound, but I am naturally cautious about power levels.

DeletedUser54886

Hi Kal...

The Warehouse one I thought was a little weak too... for balance, it could be increased more... to say 10,000 of each.. I was taking the wonders as a guide when considering what the effects could be... happy for any alternate suggestions...

With "Route to India" yes it was envisaged land/air only...

DeletedUser54537

Lets bring this idea back in
I just noticed that it might be too hard to beat each city so maybe reduce the requirements or make it so that after a fortress has been taken over it stays in the conquering alliance's control no matter what, except if that alliance disbands.

DeletedUser54495

I personally like how difficult the fortresses are to get

DeletedUser41523

I don't want to spam an NPC city and it sounds slower than the current end game. I don't feel challenged by that either. If I'm going to have to play a spamy end game, I want the fastest possible solution.

My issue with the end game is that they could seriously fix the current version by changing a few concepts. When the wonders were created, they were based on worlds that had more than 4 relevant alliances. So it was assumed teams would get a couple at most and have to fight for the rest. This obviously back fired but could be fixed probably.