Inactive Topic Idea- Two new battleships

Thrillology

Phrourach
Er, you're not quite right. Quinquiremes are actually the most well-known battle ships of the period and were used extensively by Greeks and Romans. There is no reason they shouldn't be introduced. So there's a thumbs up.
Pentekontors were also a ship from this time period. They were used for several different reasons by the Greeks. Do some research. That's a second thumbs up.

The addition of these ship would not bring any sort of added fantasy level to the game; it would give the game more variety. We all want variety.

Two thumbs up from me.

Your basing it upon two mistaken beliefs about classical antiquity? You must be fun at parties.

As for this idea I am fully in support, I would rather much like to 'spice' up naval combat rather than simply have it as 230 ls hit 290 bireme wall repeatedly... over and over.
'

Then play a certain other MMORTS, in which such combat is more complex and like this. These naval ideas are similar to another game, not browser-based at all, but still close.

And no, I don't like this idea, not based off of the fact there's quinquiremes or that there's another MMORTS like this, but because a ship like the pentekontors wouldn't be used as often, I still see players using lightships instead because pentekontors have half the attack value of a lightship and they cost 7 population. They also could transport troops, so you might as well add that if you're wanting to make the game complex and then current transports will become obsolete.

The quinquireme is too cheap. It would be better to use in the long run rather than biremes because of their strength, then filling up the remaining/extra population with quinquiremes.

Edit:
Here's a wikipedia link after doing some extra research, and here's what pentekontors were used for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penteconter_(ship)

I like the idea of the pentekontor, I don't like the idea of the quinquireme.

After some thinking, one thumb up on the pentekontor, one thumb down one the quinquireme.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

ROMANS. We're in Antiquity, not that far up in time! We're talking thousands of years into BC, before Rome was built. Haven't you wondered why cities are smaller and only have a few thousand total population? The world is still relatively quiet. We aren't TOO far back since there are triremes, but not nearly close enough to quinquiremes.

Agreed. If my memory serves, they didn't appear till around what 300 B.C. to the early A.D.s?

Second, I just find it unnecessary. I think what we have is fine. I wouldn't really care if they were added but..

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you define the period in which Grepolis is set as Antiquity, then that is spanning several centuries. It lasts about from the period of Classical Antiquity - 500 BC - all the way to Late Antiquity - 600 AD. That's hardly thousands of years into BC. Ancient Greece actually started only around 800 BC. If you take a look at a list of Hellenistic-era Warships, which was during the period of Antiquity, you'll find a great variety of ships, including quinquiremes. As for the pentekontor, it had been used in Greece since its beginning.

DeletedUser27700

I think you guys are a little too focused on the historical part of this.
I don't think it makes a big difference what you call them, or if they really existed (Yes there was greek fire, but I doubt they made fleets of flamethrowing ships back then :p).
If you like the idea of having a fast attack ship, and a much slower fortress ship, then give it your thumbs up.
If not, thumbs down.

Simple :p

DeletedUser

The idea is O.K., but if you can have 2 more ships ( and research them) you would have to actually build a complete naval city with few land units:(, wich is not a problem if you have 10+ cityes, but if you are a beginner you just could not manage a naval-land unit based city
So: no
:heh:

DeletedUser

i think its a great idea, as for the extra research in the academy then you only need to check the heroes world achilles as that world has a new god and more stuff to research in the academy, so i dont think it would cause any conflicts in the academy, adding an extra 2 new research items would make it more interesting and give players something new to try out,

i think the fairest way would be to implement these and see how it goes, if they are not used or players dont like them then remove them from the game,

as for players bringing in the history side of things then im pretty sure their was never any mythical beasts at any time of history,

DeletedUser30490

I don't think it makes a big difference what you call them, or if they really existed (Yes there was greek fire, but I doubt they made fleets of flamethrowing ships back then :p).
If you like the idea of having a fast attack ship, and a much slower fortress ship, then give it your thumbs up.
If not, thumbs down.

agree who gives poop ;) about history when the game will be more interesting???

DeletedUser

The idea is O.K., but if you can have 2 more ships ( and research them) you would have to actually build a complete naval city with few land units:(, wich is not a problem if you have 10+ cityes, but if you are a beginner you just could not manage a naval-land unit based city
So: no
:heh:

You have this issue as it is... just with different units.
If you have very few cities, you probably won't have a pure LS city. However when you get 10+, you will.

I just do not see how this is an issue at all.

DeletedUser

If not, thumbs down.

I certainly agree that grepolis isn't very realistic, but at least half or more is. Can't just throw out all realism. Shadow has discovered the technology at random to time travel and has the power to destroy us with Ray guns :D definitely not gonna be added to the game (right??) :p (sorry back to the topic).

Thrillology

Phrourach
I certainly agree that grepolis isn't very realistic, but at least half or more is. Can't just throw out all realism. Shadow has discovered the technology at random to time travel and has the power to destroy us with Ray guns :D definitely not gonna be added to the game (right??) :p (sorry back to the topic).

Ray guns, no, Zeus with a machine gun that shoots bolts, yes. :p

DeletedUser

If these ships were implemented, there's no doubt that many will continue to use LS and biremes as their main ships. But the entire reason for suggesting the idea is to add a little variety to the game. Despite those who would stick with the norm, there would still be a large amount of players who want to experiment with these new ships and find a good use for them. There's no doubt that the two ships we have now are still good ships. But different players have different styles. Some people would prefer a faster and weaker ship to the LS. With some tweaking of the suggested stats, these ships would fit in well.

DeletedUser

no matter what you suggest people would still use bireme and light ships people don't even use trieme..they wouldn't reseach these

DeletedUser

That's assuming all people think the same as you, which they don't. There are plenty of people who would consider using these different ships. People like myself, the creator of the idea, other supporters, and other players would at least try out these different ships. If we like them, we'll continue to use them; if we don't, we won't.
If you don't want to even look at these ships, then don't. But it's not going to hurt you any if they are coded into the game.

DeletedUser28137

Sorry, but 20 speed is not really that fast... unless you are talking about a 1 speed world cuz I am looking at a 3 speed and LS speed is 39 and I believe LS speed is 26 in a 2 speed... for the first idea to work I think they would have to be faster than biremes by a substantial amount.

DeletedUser

We never said the standing idea is perfect. That's a main reason for the thread. Player input and alterations are needed to make the idea better.

DeletedUser

If we are not going to see new ships added then we should move up the ability to recruit Triemes to 4 on the academy, move briemes back to 19 and ls back to 22. This would at least make triemes an early game attack ship. We have one type of ships that's rare to use so I would like to see some diversity in the ships that can be used. I also like the naval tactics idea that has been proposed. Naval warfare is the least inspiring but most important part of a game revolving around islands. It should require much more strategy than a land attack. We have several great ideas to improve naval warfare and it really does need to change.

DeletedUser

no matter what you suggest people would still use bireme and light ships people don't even use trieme..they wouldn't reseach these

No one uses the tireme because it is a bad unit. Expensive and worse than LS in attack and biremes in def. It is used by those who cannot time.

These ships would being some variety, i especially want the fast attacking ship (I think it should be on-par with fast transports, maybe a bit fast? Too quick and it would un-balance the game).

DeletedUser

Yes, the statistics should not be the reason this idea gets vetoed. Statistics can easily be tweaked and balanced to help, e.g., a faster ship with less power would be less population than a light ship. The balance part is simple. The only thing up for debate is if Grepolis needs more ships in the arsenal, which I will say is a yes. For one, variety is good in war. Just like there are several different units to pick from for land battles, so there should be at least a various selection for the ships. Another point is, even though one or two outspoken person in the forums do not want to use them does not mean the entire population of Grepolis will not. When we get something new, we want to use it, and if the results are good, we will continue using them. I trust that the developers of the game will be able to balance this out fairly well and beta testing will prove this.

Thrillology

Phrourach
Yes, the statistics should not be the reason this idea gets vetoed. Statistics can easily be tweaked and balanced to help, e.g., a faster ship with less power would be less population than a light ship. The balance part is simple. The only thing up for debate is if Grepolis needs more ships in the arsenal, which I will say is a yes. For one, variety is good in war. Just like there are several different units to pick from for land battles, so there should be at least a various selection for the ships. Another point is, even though one or two outspoken person in the forums do not want to use them does not mean the entire population of Grepolis will not. When we get something new, we want to use it, and if the results are good, we will continue using them. I trust that the developers of the game will be able to balance this out fairly well and beta testing will prove this.

Don't forget that the academy will need to be expanded in all worlds, so a level 31 or 32 academy since you'll likely use all of your research points on techs you need and will always need.