Inactive Topic Ideas Comp - Attack Interception

DeletedUser52331

Proposal:

To be order to intercept an incoming attack with an attack of your own. This would make the game more realistic to real warfare.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?

Yes - This has not been suggested before.

Reason:

In real warfare, attacks, large armies could be ambushed and attacked before they reached their destination. Our attack system currently only lets the attack be destroyed with defence

Details:

So imagine there's an army of hoplites coming towards you. When you click the attack a new window opens up with a map of their journey. There are certain points on that map, where, if your troops can reach it on time, you can station them for an ambush. You can also post this in the forum to fellow alliance member for them to ambush the attack. Back to the hoplites. You have horsemen and swords in your city. You send the horsemen to some point along the attack, and leave the swordsmen to defend your city. This way, you can damage the attack before it reaches your city. In order to stop attacking ALU from being completely destroyed by your own forces (which would be unfair), the intercepting units receive a 75% decrease in attack. Ambush and real strategy becomes a real force in the game.

Visual Aids:

I'll sort this out in a bit... Not great at photoshop to be honest.

Balance:

This could be very helpful to the defender, as ALU in attack could wipe out ALU that is being intercepted. For this, I suggest a 75-80% decrease in attacking power for the interceptor.

Abuse Prevention:

To stop alliance from completely destroying an attack, I suggest that depending on the tt of the attack there are only a certain number of interception slots. So for a 60 min tt you can only intercept 3 times, I would say once every 20 mins. THIS CANNOT BE USED ON CS's. If the attack is under 20 mins then you can only intercept once. A maximum of 55 free pop. can be sent to intercept. Transport can NOT be sunk by interception. If LS attack 20 biremes, 20 transports full of slings, then the biremes get destroyed but the transports are untouchable. Transports and their contents can only be damaged by flyers, and FAST transport ships with troops, as it only make sense... If you send and attack with no LS then your intercepting transports CAN be destroyed.

Summary:

Have the ability to take some force out of an incoming attack before it reaches your city.

Hope you like this! If you don't understand or have edits please let me know in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31385

This can stay. It has been suggested, but did not fail. The OPs went inactive on the other ones.

FazeWalker

Phrourach
I think this will disbalance the attack and defense points of each unit.. And if the decrease in power 70-80% is enabled, an Slinger nuke from defending city can wipe an incoming sling nuke, with 30% power.. Then another question will arrive (according to real life wars), what about the attack that is incoming the next second? I guess they can join in the fight too? This will be more like Age of Empires.. And about fellow alliance members helping, when your alliance cities are not close to you, how can they intercept from far places? (since the idea is based on real wars). The idea is worth a new change to this system, but needs more modifications assuming the backfires it can do.. What happens when you intercept an illusion? And usually defending troops are not sent in attack, but what if I attack with 500 swordsman and you intercept with slingers? Usually swrdsman are not for attacks but in this scene they are defending, right? :p

DeletedUser52331

Ah I see your point. However as far as I can see you raise 3 issues. 1) The idea of a defending slinger nuke wiping out another with 30% power. 2) Alliance members helping to intercept when they are very far. 3) Sending swords for attacks. I will try to answer as best I can below to your points.

1) I stated that you can only attack (intercept) once every 20mins, and a maximum of 55 free pop can be sent with every attack. In this way, the incoming attack cannot be wiped out.

2) Alliance members will only be able to help if they can reach the interception zone in time. Just the same as you can only intercept if you can reach the zone in time. It works the same way as an attack. The way I imagine it is as a bar - In which it is divided into zones (depending on how long tt is). each zone gets filled up when either you or an ally send an interception which reaches before it crosses into the next zone. The intercepting attack must reach the zone before or at the same time as the incoming attack. Phew that was confusing.

3) Attacking with swordsmen to bait some of the ALU in that city would become a tactic, and a good one at that! Say you have a sling nuke in your city which you are causing damage to fellow ally cities on that island with, I attack you with 500 swords, and you, thinking it is horses or something offensive, attack it with your slings. In this way I can bait you to use your slings. This would also encourage the use of Athena and the wisdom spell... as well as serious thinking before sending attacks.

Hope that helps!