Inactive Topic Improvement - In-game forum changes

• Thread starter DeletedUser23649
  • Start date

DeletedUser23649

Proposal
Anyone that has used this forum software (vBulletin) as either moderator or admin knows the limitations of the in-game alliance forum. Specifically multiple levels of authorizations.

Reason
In most forum software, posts and threads can either be "soft" deleted, or "hard" deleted. Soft deletion removes the post or thread from view of a regular user, but not the admin or moderator, and allows the restoration if deleted in error.
Hard deletions (usually reserved to admin or super moderator) is a permanent deletion and cannot be recovered.
Unfortunately the alliance forums are not forgiving to accidental or vindictive deletions, once it's gone, it's gone.
Posts, threads, and tabs deleted cannot be recovered.

Details
I propose multiple levels of forum moderator rights in-game.
Forum moderator rights be limited to 'soft' deletions, and leader or founder only have the ability to hard delete. This option allows founders to more easily appoint forum moderators or allow users the ability to self delete threads w/o the worry of major screw-ups. It would also allow for accountability as a soft deleted thread or post would have a notation next to it (deleted by Abigaill Tomsen 00:34:25 4/10/2012)

Balance/Abuse Prevention
This has no in-game implications, but could potentially stop abuse from vindictive players ruining the alliance forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23649

Really? So I don't suppose you have had any threads or posts deleted by accident that had important information in it?
I just had a thread that had a couple of dozen cities listed in it and the players that were claiming them get deleted by accident.
There is no way to recover it, and it took a lot to recreate it again.

There is no downside or negative implication to my suggestion, all normal forum software including the one we are using here has that option. It's an industry standard - should be here in the game as well.

DeletedUser

No offense but you have to be pretty thick to delete an important thread.

"uh oops I accidentally deleted the thread with all our top secret plans on"

Besides you shouldn't delete threads you should archive them.

DeletedUser

There is no downside or negative implication to my suggestion
That is where you are wrong I'm afraid, who would store all the threads, it would just take up lots more bandwidth! Still I'm not against or with this directly

DeletedUser23649

No offense but you have to be pretty thick to delete an important thread.
"uh oops I accidentally deleted the thread with all our top secret plans on"
Besides you shouldn't delete threads you should archive them.

I didn't say I deleted it. But accidents happen, and some vindictive people do things on purpose.
It wasn't supposed to have been deleted at all, this has nothing to do with archiving.
It's a prevention against accidental deletion, it's an industry standard in all common forum software.
It's easy to confuse the button for deleting a post and deleting a thread.

Jaaaa - you have this wrong too, although text storage uses EXTREMELY little drive space, no one is asking for additional storage.
This is simply protection against accidental deletion, nothing more. Threads that should be deleted will be deleted.
Ones that are accidently deleted or if deleted by one person, another can restore it.
Alliance founders can appoint more forum moderators without being overly paranoid that they have to power to wreck an entire forum.
I was in an alliance that a bunch of players defected to a competing alliance. Before they left one of them deleted every single thread from all the tabs.
In any event, I'm counting on the Grepolis staff to see my point.

DeletedUser

Really? So I don't suppose you have had any threads or posts deleted by accident that had important information in it?
I just had a thread that had a couple of dozen cities listed in it and the players that were claiming them get deleted by accident.
There is no way to recover it, and it took a lot to recreate it again.

There is no downside or negative implication to my suggestion, all normal forum software including the one we are using here has that option. It's an industry standard - should be here in the game as well.

Haha yea, I have never EVER deleted a thread I didnt want deleted. You say that alliance founders can appoint the power to do this if they aren't overly paranoid, well isn't that how a lot of 'vindictive' people do it? Gain access to stuff like that and do as they please? Perhaps just the founder should have that ability, if anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23649

You bring up a good point, there is already multi-level authorization in the forums. The founder is the only one with the ability to create or remove tabs, re-arrange the tab order and rename tabs. My suggestion is simply an extension of that.
With your logic restricting the founder to everyting, you might as well remove invite and kick ability of leaders.