Inactive Topic Improving World Wonders: mythical fighting challenges

DeletedUser

Proposal:
Make WW achieved by beating mythical creatures instead of sending ressources.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Checked above 1000 threads (nearly 2 years of posting); several ideas around the endgame but not this one.

Reason:
The current WW process is largely unpopular. The fun in game goes with fighting for cities and territory, then it turns about clicking repetitively to send ressources to some island... Players don't recognize their game anymore.
From what I've seen: 1) In effect players leave quicker at this stage, especially amongst the active ones; 2) In alliances building WW, how many really send ressources? My guess is rarely over 10% (otherwise building would be much, much quicker). Such lack of interest in what will tell if they win or not, shows the current system is not best.

Looking for alternative solutions, I came to this one somewhat by elimination. Some recurrent proposals:
- Making WW done with ABP, overall BP, looting, or anything players win from fighting each other: runs into possibilities of under-table, against-spirit agreements between players, alliances, an alliance and its academy formed for this purpose, etc. We can't underestimate this when players have spent over a year on the game, and there's no sure way to distinguish real fighting from fake one.
- Awarding the win according to territory control objectives: alliances would rather colonize remote oceans and run away from the core. The game before WW would be even more boring than the current WW system; and if you make it only about core oceans, too many alliances would be out of it.
- Turning the endgame into destruction time, players wouldn't conquer but destroy cities, the last one standing wins. Quite likely, some simmer colonizing far away would win, not what we're looking for. I think this issue goes with any destructive end.

OTOH, there are also some good aspects in current WW, I'd like to keep them:
- It gives a goal and a way to win, in fact many players need it. A trial has been made to build a competitive world only about fighting, no WW: Hero World. It turned out rather unsuccessful.
- The win tends to go for the alliance who has shown the biggest will for it, that's certainly fine.
- The need to control and protect entirely some islands, makes the need to control territory that enlivens all the game before; and the need to send ressources, a strong incentive towards the center of the world, with all the competition at the start etc.
So I came to this, keeping the WW but with levels achieved by fighting, alliance vs. machine to avoid cheating agreements. To give it a cool look and better fantasy, players fight mythical creatures.

Details:
WW are achieved by beating different mythical creatures. Those creatures represent the different kinds of fighting, attacking, defending, with the 3 kinds of weaponry + naval, makes 8 of them (can be more if dev cost is worth it...).
I looked into several historic sources and selected 8 ones:
NameBrief descriptionWay to fight them
I. ENCELADUSA giant, son of Gaia. Breathes fire like a volcano.Range attack
II. BIRDS OF ARESSend arrows/darts. Guarded the Amazonian shrine of this god.Range defense
III. NEADESGigantic animals from the island of Samos. Their roar could split the ground.Sharp attack
IV. CHIMERAThree-headed creature, mix of lion, snake and goat.Sharp defense
V. KERESDeath demons with with dark wings, clawed hangs and gnashing teeth. Haunting the battlefields to feed on the blood of wounded soldiers.Blunt attack
VI. STYMPHALIAN BIRDSMan-eating birds with beaks of bronze and sharp metallic feathers.Blunt defense
VII. CHARYBDISA sea monster creating deadly whirlpools by breathing.Naval attack
VIII. TROJAN DRAGONS2 monstrous sea serpents sent to destroy a Trojan priest during the siege.Naval defense
Checked with different sources; descriptions vary quite often though.
The boring sending-ressources part is replaced by a path of fighting challenges for each WW.
Each path consists in beating each creature once, but in a definite order. The levels stay progressive as they are now. So each WW is orientated towards certain kinds of units for the last and biggest levels. The challenges take place (proposal) at the WW spot on the WW island for the ground ones, and the nearest place on coast for the naval ones. In the lower part of the WW window, instead of ressource info, you have besides challenge info buttons to attack, support, or appease (see below).

The players win BP by fighting the creatures; a key point I think, with the current system sending ressources is not directly rewarded and in practice most players prefer to sim on their own, letting others lead them to victory. Here players help their expansion as well. It also lets a way for leaders to check who's really participating. ATM, when a players says he's sent 1 million ressources to a WW, you only have his word. Those 2 points should make less MM like "Please send res to this WW", with eventual threats to kick out those who don't participate etc, which globally underlines the tedious aspect of the current system (a bit discouraging for leaders).

Attacking challenges: the defensive power of creatures is brought down piece by piece. The formula for fight result is the current one but without the mass effect (otherwise the first attackers would be too disadvantaged). Without morale too. It's won when 1 of his 3 defensive bars (or just 1 with naval fight) is brought to 0. Given that (proposal) 1 bar is originally only half the 2 others, you can attack something else than his weak point but it will rarely be worth it. Creatures have regeneration capacities. This is to valuate another aspect of good play: timing, as well as team coordination. The monster will recover 30% of the damage of an attack if it's not hit from another city in 5 minutes (without change to the ABP from the 1st attack); then another 20% unless hit in the next hour. So it should be a lot of attacks of different sizes, the biggest ones being followed closely by others, with the players ensuring timing themselves or posting landing time of big nukes in alliance forum.

Defensive challenges: when leader clicks "Provoke attack" in the window of this WW, the attack starts and lands in a delay depending on the level: 24 hours for levels 1&2, then 8 hours per level (makes 72 hours for the biggest); if it beats the defensive wall set by the alliance, the creature comes back with its remaining attacking power in the same delay, then eventually a 3rd time. If it's not beaten after those 3 trials, the challenge is reset, the creature gets back its full power and the leader has to provoke attack again etc. A detail: fire ships can participate naval defense, their defensive value being the offensive value of 1 LS. The formula for battle result is the normal one, without morale but with the mass effect, so it's not worth facing a big healthy monster with small def. So it should be the leader warning his team which kinds of specialized units they have to build and send, then judging when it's OK to provoke attack. Like in usual game, if team lacks response or if battle is engaged before team is ready, they won't come out best.

Gods and mythical units: the WW era would go with the favor cap being raised at (proposal) 2000. The current cap of 500 is ridiculously low when you have a big account. By raising it, myths can take part in the fight and rebuilding in general is helped. Myths from different gods can participate defense together: under exceptional circumstances, as gods want the end of the creatures mess, they allow these units to cohabit.

Attack and support:
This can all be done with buttons in the WW window.
For alliance members: during a defensive challenge only support is possible, and only attack during an offensive challenge. For naval challenges, only navy can be sent. For ground challenge, no navy can be sent except transports (players get an explicit error message if they try to). If a support starts when there's a defensive challenge going on and lands when there's no longer an adequate challenge, it just comes back home with no fight; same principle for attacks. This avoids many potential concerns between teammates.
For the other players: they can either help the alliance or slow it down. Same condition, only navy for naval challenges, no navy for the others. To help this alliance (it does happen ingame), support can be sent during def challenges, and attacks during attacking ones, with same formulas for battle result and BP as for the alliance members. To slow down the alliance: support for def challenges can be attacked (usual formulas for battle result, but without morale); for offensive challenges, creatures can't be supported (they won't wait and sit next to the behemoth for obvious reasons), but they can be appeased by giving favors to help them recover their full power.

When a creature is beaten, all members receive a report, with a reward available in it. The rewards are more about ressources, to balance with BP: ressources gifts, res production bonus for some time, biggest warehouse capacity, bigger market place capacity, better ratio/amount with the Phoenician Merchant... The bigger the challenge, the bigger the reward.
When all challenges are completed for a WW, alliance receives directly the complete WW on its island.

The need to control the island, in order to start and expand a WW, stays same as now (with the changes that could happen in the meantime).
If alliance loses control of the WW island, the current challenge is reset, and can only be started again when island control is gained back. If the WW was complete, alliance comes back to the start of last level, like now.
Same thing for the 4 and 7 WW awards.

The amount of BP needed per level: can be discussed. The current amounts of ressources could be converted in the number of specialized classical units that can be made from them, then the resulting firepower. But it's also linked to other ideas like this one: Making all World Wonder island cities always attackable. If a WW is easier to break, it could be easier to build. Up to players' wishes.

Level12345678
PyramidsVIIIVIVIIIIIIIIVVI
GardensIVIIIIIIIVVVIVIIII
Zeus statueIIIVIVIIIIVVIIIIIV
Artemis templeIIVVIVIIIVIIIVIIII
MausoleumVIIIIIIVVIIIIIVVII
ColossusIIIVIIIVIIIVIVVIII
LighthouseVIIIVIVIVIVIIIIIII
Roman numbers matching with creatures in the preceding array.
Always alterning attack and defense. All the WW require to beat each monster once.
This is only 1 possible combination, amongst many others.
Level12345678910
PyramidsIVIIIIIVVIVIIVIIIIIVIII
GardensVIIIIVIVIIIIVIVIIIVIIII
Zeus statueVIVVIIIIIVIIIIIVIIVIV
Artemis templeVIIIIIVIIIIVIVIIIVVII
MausoleumIIIVIIIVVIIIIVVIIIIIIVI
ColossusIIVIIIVIIIVIIIIVIVIIVII
LighthouseVIIIVVIIIIIVIIIIVIVIIIV
Roman numbers matching with creatures in the preceding array. Always alterning attack and defense. Each wonder does them all, plus 2 creatures twice. But we could also think about having less than 10 levels per wonder.

Some very nice visuals provided by qubitsized. Property by Innogames and Wizards of the Coast.
The final disposition should be a bit different, and the "Reveal" option was for the Raise of Gaia, a slightly different idea. But it shows what the creatures could look like, with the Attack/Support/Appease buttons next.
Attack/Support open the usual tab for sending units, only the Appease window is new here.

oj4gpe.jpg

ofsnia.jpg

Balance:
This would favor the biggest firepower, with abilities in both attack and defense. In practice it should be much about rebuilding and coordination.
Many farm spaces will be needed for the last levels, alliances can't just sim, send, and recruit def everywhere. Other alliances can attack while defense is away, or nukes in building. Globally, it should help WW ops, which can give great moments ingame :)
Much specialized rebuilding would be needed, so ressource disbalances would come up and market place would become part of the race as well. Alliances could look for the right WW priorities to synchronize with other needs in ressources.
The big amounts of BP available through these challenges could have impacts on BP rankings without war between players. But this tendancy is already there through island quests. If players judge it could change these rankings too much, CP could be given directly instead of BP.
I must say, with the needs for quick rebuilding and possibles calls to the Phoenician Merchant, this would favor more gold users than the current system. But gold is already everywhere, except to send ressources more often, the system we have now...

Abuse Prevention:
I don't see anything more needed ATM.

Summary:
Changing the current WW sending-ressources-system to firepower challenges.
I tried to think all the details; in practice it would get a simpler look, with 1 challenge after another and possible prospectives.
This should enliven the endgame in many ways. Fighting mythical monsters should be anything but dull ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser11965

I kinda laugh for some reason; in my head seeing little people running up to a monster and then getting stomp repeatedly

DeletedUser31385

You said it would favor the biggest firepower, that is not balanced. Currently people neglect their alliance which is unacceptable, I thought about posting a thread where you can fight Titans and giants. You would have to stop Gaea from rising and destroying the world but I thought it was a stupid idea that no one else would like.

DeletedUser

I like it :D
Thanks ;)

You said it would favor the biggest firepower, that is not balanced. Currently people neglect their alliance which is unacceptable, I thought about posting a thread where you can fight Titans and giants. You would have to stop Gaea from rising and destroying the world but I thought it was a stupid idea that no one else would like.
Actually not a stupid idea. It takes some work to prepare details for this kind of ideas, but several points I see as very open for discussion.
For the firepower: like in current system it's not always the biggest one who's best. It also needs team activity, collective work and coordination (especially to deal with the regeneration part).

DeletedUser31385

The favor cap should go up 100 with each temple level.

DeletedUser

I actually like this... +rep

The favor cap should go up 100 with each temple level.
You mean for each level of Artemis Temple? True, raising the bonus for completing a WW could be a track; then it has to be raised for all of them. I find the current bonus small and you only get them for level 10. Raising them and making them progressive would put a bigger incentive to participate in the race, and normally it should be rather cheap dev.

DeletedUser27700

Very interesting.
I would suggest this be simplified a bit though, in the sense that defeating a creature would take the place of building a wonder entirely, or some other system.
Also do keep in mind that a rebalancing of the endgame is expected sometime in the future, so this might not happen for quite some time, if at all.

DeletedUser15581

I like the idea and gonna +rep for it.

It will be difficult to implement, but fighting off huge creatures is an awesome way to end the game over WWs.

Also, let there be no WWs at all with this idea. We just need to defeat he huge creatures, and when you kill such a creature, you get its mythical powers (something like benefits by building the WWs)

An overall fine tuning can be done if the devs take this suggestion seriously.

DeletedUser

idea is good.. but it is not balanced as it seriously put smaller alliances in disadvantage.. only the bigger alliance will have a chance to win.. also how can an alliance prevent other alliance from winning..

World wonder is is a race to finish but at the same time u can do something to sabotage the other alliance by taking a city of the island..
but this idea is only race...

DeletedUser23986

idea is good.. but it is not balanced as it seriously put smaller alliances in disadvantage.. only the bigger alliance will have a chance to win.. also how can an alliance prevent other alliance from winning..

Maybe an alliance can send aids to mythical creatures of enemy alliance :) Myabe resources so they can heal :)

DeletedUser

Thanks for constructive backup :)

I would suggest this be simplified a bit though, in the sense that defeating a creature would take the place of building a wonder entirely, or some other system.
Initially I thought about mixing sending ressources parts and fighting challenges. Then I thought players wouldn't like the ressources parts compared to fighting, and I could get rid of it. But it's true building a WW only through beating monsters seems a bit far fetched.
Maybe a "collecting gods rewards" system could replace the WW levels. It's just that WW have a nice name, appealing for those who appreciate antic culture. Also, I sticked with the 7x10 levels system, but 70 different fighting challenges is more than necessary.
So, maybe it can be turned into "collecting gods rewards" sequences, when you complete a sequence you just get a complete WW, but you have less than 70 rewards to get overall.

We just need to defeat he huge creatures, and when you kill such a creature, you get its mythical powers (something like benefits by building the WWs)
Interisting. Beating a mythical creature to get its powers has something common with many primitive cultures (chamanism or something like that). I feel it's not in the spirit of ancient Greek culture, afaik more about mankind as it is vs myth, with challenges and, sometimes, rewards (the story of Ulysses, Heracles' 12 labors...).
Each challenge could go with some reward from the gods, of various levels according to the size of the challenge, it would definitely help players' motivation. If it was fighting bonus, smaller alliances would get more and more disadvantaged, it would be like a suspense killer in the end. I'd see it more as "simming" bonus; sounds like Grepo: sure you can found and sim all the way, but you'll get higher much quicker with some fighting.

World wonder is is a race to finish but at the same time u can do something to sabotage the other alliance by taking a city of the island..
but this idea is only race...
I'd keep all the requirements to hold WW islands, so keeping all the "breaking WW" aspects too. Sure worth keeping WW ops aspect, they can be a very good climax for a world.

Maybe an alliance can send aids to mythical creatures of enemy alliance :) Myabe resources so they can heal :)
Sure, this could introduce many devilish tactics ;)
I had thought about it but I had concerns with an alliance blocking other wonders with a bireme wall sinking troops for example, simply because it would discourage players. But if you put it like only naval attacking challenges can be supported with def boats, and only ground attacking challenges with troops, it could do...
I also didn't want to make mistimed support or attack from alliance ruin teammates efforts, this wouldn't help. But this counterplay could be possible from outside the alliance only. It would have another good aspect: someone intending to work again his alliance would have less interest to stay in it. Part of the game maybe, but unpleasant when it's decided this way.
To help the creature recover and slow down another alliance, giving favor would sound quite natural.

idea is good.. but it is not balanced as it seriously put smaller alliances in disadvantage.. only the bigger alliance will have a chance to win..
I think you'll remember of Chi ;) An example of how it's not the biggest one who made it. We can't tell, but my guess is final result would have been quite the same with this system.
This would favor a bit more the bigger alliances than current system. Because small alliances can no longer turn 100% defensive and start building. But problem is if small alliances can do it, big alliances can do it too and you get the kind of dull end we can get now.

An overall fine tuning can be done if the devs take this suggestion seriously.
Sure, in the end entirely up to Inno and there could be any ways to improve the global look of this.

So, it could be turned into:
1) God rewards replacing WW levels, rewards orientated towards res production, storage capacity, market place or phoenician merchant capacities, favor production, less ressources to produce some units, this kind of things.
2) Number of challenges getting smaller than 70. If you complete a sequence of rewards you get a complete WW. During and after this process we keep the island control requirements. We could even imagine some "critical" challenges that would count for several WW sequences, or that only 1 alliance can hold, to make several alliances fight for it and spicen the whole...
3) Players outside of the alliance can put counterplay by supporting creatures the right way, or by giving favor to help it recover.

What would you think about this? I'm ready to edit the original idea this way if players prefer it.

DeletedUser

+1 to this, might be the grepo team takes something from several of the similar ideas of changing the end-game and actually manages to come up with a solid idea that appeals to most, if not all.

I do believe the changing of the end-game is already in development though, is it not?

DeletedUser

Thanks!

I do believe the changing of the end-game is already in development though, is it not?
IcedDragon mentioned an endgame rebalance was expected in the future. I didn't see anything about a development for a new endgame system already engaged. At worst, this thread could help to show in which directions we'd like a rebalance.

Do you think these new tracks are worth editing the original idea?
1) God rewards replacing WW levels, rewards orientated towards res production, storage capacity, market place or phoenician merchant capacities, favor production, less ressources to produce some units, this kind of things.
2) Number of challenges getting smaller than 70. If you complete a sequence of rewards you get a complete WW. During and after this process we keep the island control requirements. We could even imagine some "critical" challenges that would count for several WW sequences, or that only 1 alliance can hold, to make several alliances fight for it and spicen the whole...
3) Players outside of the alliance can put counterplay by supporting creatures the right way, or by giving favor to help it recover.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31385

My suggestion is you defeat regular units/wild myth units (Untamed) for each level and then you must defeat a boss creature for level 10. After you get 4 completed you must defeat Gaea and her forces as she would try to take over the world. You have an opportunity to defeat her before she fully rises (beware she is powerful before she is raised). This would be an alliance effort of defending/attacking her forces, She will attempt to capture cities. The banner would be colored "Earth Green" and would have the skulls symbol on it, the banner would be tattered like a ghost town. If you do not defeat her forces the world closes. (Take note her forces are huge) If you succeed you may construct the 3 other wonders with having to defeat units for 9 levels and then a boss.

DeletedUser25660

Awesome Idea!

+Rep Aannira! Great Idea!

Concocted some visual aids and tried to simplify the idea based from above discussions. As for the formula for creatures' health, I'll leave it to the devs. I feel that we should retain the WW, i.e., you can still upgrade them by sending resources (albeit boring and slow), but the reward for defeating the creatures provides an exciting alternative for upgrade! Also, the graphics of WW is just beautiful.

Graphics used below are properties by Innogames and Wizards of the Coast, they are being used to aid in this discussion

I - The Overview

For purpose of discussion, let's call them Titans. Each titan is 'common' to all players in the world, once killed, the reward goes to the alliance that killed the titan. Overview shows the Titan's health and options. Titans can only be attacked or appeased, they can't attack you (the defending part of original idea seems complicated to me). Appeasing the titan will add health to the titan, attacking will reduce its health. Using gold will reveal incoming attacks to it from all alliances (similar to command overview of Administrator), this will allow players to time their attacks/appease. Because the favor is capped, even smaller alliances can "steal the kill" by timing when to attack or appease.

oj4gpe.jpg

II - Appeasing the Titan

Appeasing will add health to the titan. Let's say that there are 500 incoming attacks from 3 enemy alliances (revealed using 50 gold). An alliance can then time when to use the favors of their players so they can give the Titan some health just enough for them to steal the kill.

ofsnia.jpg

III - Attacking the Titan

The reward for defeating the titan is basically 'favors' that can be used to instantly upgrade the world wonders. See below example, the reward for killing enceladus is 10 instant upgrades of the World Wonders!

289zvpt.jpg

IV - Alternative Upgrade for World Wonders

See below, it's self-explanatory. Note that you still control of all cities on an island to be able to use the instant upgrade rewards from killing the Titans!

2i7787s.jpg

For further discussion guys. :pro:

DeletedUser11965

WOW, i dont know what to say; ur visuals are god like