INTERVIEW SPECIAL EDITION with Bo Peep from Beta - Insights on Olympus

Hydna

Grepolis Team
This will be transferred to the Sidon forum when it opens but I thought you might all be interested in reading this now. It gives an idea of what Olympus is really like.

Hydna: Hi Bo Peep. You have been playing our new endgame in Beta for a few months now, would you like to give EN some insights into what happens?
Let’s start at the beginning – are the first few months any different to say Domination?

Bo Peep: No, no different really - l certainly wasn't planning on doing anything except learn about the new end game - like a number of people. We spawned and started building just like we always do, thought about the core.

Hydna: How important is that initial drop and coring up?

Bo Peep: Not as important as in a WW server, but more important than a dom server. Mind you there are so few people playing this server, that might change. l'm not sure what it would be like on an EN server

Hydna: So tell us more about the small temple stage. What happens when they open? What is the value of small temples to your alliance?

Bo Peep: As soon as the world opens you can see which temples are close to you and what benefit each one gives. We then had 69 days before they actually opened which gave us time to plan how we wanted to position future cities and expansion.

Then once they opened, clearing the temples and making sure they are supported after they are conquered is tricky - especially when you are still playing the game. You need more birs, more ls and more olu. With cities and temples there is never enough of anything.

l think the position of the temple is important, depending on the strength of the alliance. l would go for position over the bonus of the temple in a weak alliance. But if you were strong, with a sister alliance you could divide up the benefits between a 'defence' alliance and an 'attack' alliance - moving people between the two to suit.

Hydna: Why go for position rather than the bonus. Surely the bonus is all that really matters?

Bo Peep: it is, but you have to think about how strong or weak the alliance is

Hydna: What is the value of a temple in isolation?

Bo Peep: If it is in isolation behind your core, it is worth the value.
Look at Mytilene in 54, Our sister keep going for it, and those Red on the island and the island adjacent to it, keep killing their support.

1591276330699.png

Is it better to take a temple away from the madding crowd? Or in your sister alliance’s territory? That’s the question there are different benefits based on the location and potential BP is one of them.

l think our enemies have achieved plus 20% attack boost on ls - before any spells with their temple choices. That’s a serious bonus going forward.

The good thing about temples is they have 0% luck and morale, so you can farm them when you need to.

Hydna: I didn’t know you could farm them?

Bo Beep: l call it farming when you can send attacks for bp's - and l would say consider getting some cities near your enemy temples ‘cause theres no wall and some idiots put in dlu!

Hydna: So there is a balance between conquering more cities, which you need to continue to conquer and hold temples, and actually conquering and holding the temples themselves?
What happens when another alliance conquers your temple? Are you able to see incoming?

Bo Peep: You can see incoming attacks and supports. There is an extra box in the browser version for temples, next to where the red attack cross appears. That shows a red1/2/3 depending on how many incoming attacks there are. You can spell them, just as if it is an incoming attack to your city, if you own the temple. We have had some great fun spelling as an alliance trying to get the sea storm in before the enemy can respell that kind of thing.

Here is an example.
This is the dropdown box and here you can see Bassae. There are no attacks and 4 supports:

1591276752583.png

Then if you click on the actual temple you can see more detail - in this case who is sending those supports.

1591276824679.png

There’s actually quite a lot of conquering and then losing temples. You can’t stack them all and the enemy can see what the defence is at all times. You still need defence to go after enemy cities so you have to compromise.

As of now there are 19 days left until the large temples open. We need more cities to cope with the next stage but I can’t tell you much more because I haven’t seen that part in action.

Hydna: Thanks for those insights. One last question. Do you think the PvE adds to the grepolis game experience? For more than half the game there is now this secondary angle that we have never seen before.

Bo Peep: Well to be honest it's not a big deal at the moment. Maybe when the next stage is here - and of course the last stage - it will become important. We all have portals so that will be interesting.

Hydna: But do you like it? Does it improve the game in any way?

Bo Peep: Yes l like it, but it doesn't bring me out in a frenzy of excitement :)
Mind you l'm not sure anything would, except maybe Jason Momoa without his kit on!

1591294784494.png

Hydna: Lol. Ok thanks Bo Peep. That’s a really helpful insight into our new endgame. We will have to see what happens in EN.

Corvidaan

Phrourach
I think it’s a shame that the first few months are the same as domination.

So had neapolis been the Olympus game type, it wouldn’t even have reached the small temple stage and thus the world would have played out almost identically.

I think it would be a lot more dynamic and interesting if small temples opened, say, 2 weeks after opening BP drops. Increase the gaps between the stages if server duration is a worry, but having the end game objectives be more interact-able prior to 4 months in like the other worlds would probably do wonders (see what I did there) for maintaining player interest, especially new players.

Hydna

Grepolis Team
I think it’s a shame that the first few months are the same as domination.

So had neapolis been the Olympus game type, it wouldn’t even have reached the small temple stage and thus the world would have played out almost identically.

I think it would be a lot more dynamic and interesting if small temples opened, say, 2 weeks after opening BP drops. Increase the gaps between the stages if server duration is a worry, but having the end game objectives be more interact-able prior to 4 months in like the other worlds would probably do wonders (see what I did there) for maintaining player interest, especially new players.

It is not the same. The small temples are opened quickly. With the world configuration you have the small temples will open after only 21 days. 3 weeks is barely enough for you to build, expand a little and then plan which temples will suit. If you read this interview the enemies in that world seem to have focused on ls power. That is one strategy.

In terms of issues on another world, I cant really comment but with this new game the rim has value and that is a relevant point to you I think. There are different options which you have never had before.

Corvidaan

Phrourach
It is not the same. The small temples are opened quickly. With the world configuration you have the small temples will open after only 21 days. 3 weeks is barely enough for you to build, expand a little and then plan which temples will suit. If you read this interview the enemies in that world seem to have focused on ls power. That is one strategy.

In terms of issues on another world, I cant really comment but with this new game the rim has value and that is a relevant point to you I think. There are different options which you have never had before.
Ah well that’s more promising then, I was just going off the interviewee’s response about it feeling the same for the first few months. 3 weeks is definitely speedier!

Last edited:

DeletedUser56427

Soooo... if I'm understanding this correctly, the endgame has not been fully tested in beta yet and its being rolled out into the "real" servers?

Corvidaan

Phrourach
Soooo... if I'm understanding this correctly, the endgame has not been fully tested in beta yet and its being rolled out into the "real" servers?

We are all Beta testers on this blessed day

(in all seriousness though, the beta test is still many months ahead of this server, so will hit olympus first, and provide feedback that can be added to this upcoming world even as it progresses through the first stage)

DeletedUser56427

Guess its the only way to get a significant sample size of players.

Hydna

Grepolis Team
Well the interview was a couple of weeks ago and Beta will be in the Large Temple stage before Sidon starts. As the original announcement says we want player feedback on this from all servers as it is so new.