Irish +Spanish Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser65

Just to clear up confusion:

Scottish - Technically a language, but is much more reminiscent of an English dialect.
Irish - Been a language for 3 years, but may be losing that status soon.
Welsh - The most recognised of the three, with equal status as English as a language.

I would also like to point out that this entire argument is pretty much irrelevant on an English speaking forum. Am I right?

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Also why try to pre-make an alliance for a new server on the forum of an existing world? You clearly didn't go about this in a smart manner so you clearly aren't someone I would trust to make smart moves as a leader

DeletedUser

I'm from Ireland, and yes Irish is a language but it's not the official name for it. It's Gaeilge, or Gaelic is the anglicized version. It's mostly spoken in the Gaeltacht, along the west coast especially Kerry and Galway. It's taught in schools from the ages of 5 and 16, and yes it's compulsory even though most people hate learning it in school. Everyone can speak a bit, but only teachers, politicians and people in the Gaeltacht speak it fluently

DeletedUser

Just to clear up confusion:

Scottish - Technically a language, but is much more reminiscent of an English dialect.
Irish - Been a language for 3 years, but may be losing that status soon.
Welsh - The most recognised of the three, with equal status as English as a language.

I would also like to point out that this entire argument is pretty much irrelevant on an English speaking forum. Am I right?

3 years, what are you talking about?

DeletedUser65

3 years, what are you talking about?

I'm talking about when the EU fully recognised Irish as a language starting from 1st January 2007. (I thought I had typed 4 yours, apologies) However, this status is not safe since the EU are struggling to find people qualified to translate into and from Irish, with about 5 times fewer translators employed compared to pretty much all of the other EU languages.

They are starting some initiative in 2012 to improve the status, so I've heard, because it is so badly supported.

DeletedUser

That's fine then, I was just confused when I thought you said it's only been around for 3 years

StokieScott

Phrourach
Aint Celtic also a different name for the language or is that just the name of the people/ancient tribe similar too the picts and the scotties.
I always thought gaelic n celtic were similar languages however may be wrong there :s

DeletedUser65

Aint Celtic also a different name for the language or is that just the name of the people/ancient tribe similar too the picts and the scotties.
I always thought gaelic n celtic were similar languages however may be wrong there :s

Celtic is the broader family that Irish and Scottish (Goidelic) and Welsh (Brythonic) belong to.

StokieScott

Phrourach
Thats the one, I know the original people on the british isles were called picts and celts but wasnt sure bout what the language was called celtic was what its called

Status
Not open for further replies.