Is it right to celebrate a death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aicy

Strategos
So we had Bin Laden dying and lots of Americans were happy about that. Then we had Gedaffi killed and all those Libyans were pretty happy about it, but with lots of Americans disgusted by their behavior, although America's continued hypocracy is another matter.

My personal view is that it's fine if they were pretty mean and deserved it. The way I see it, the Libyans weren't so much celebrating the death of someone but a new and better future for all who lived there. Likewise the Americans were celebrating what they saw as a big blow to terrorism, which meant they would be terrified quite less often. When Hitler died if you were celebrating it you were celebrating the end of a genocide and oppressive dictatorship.

Sure you can say they hated them, but we all hate people. I for one hate this girl I know who has the tendency to be a vegetarian. But as I heard in some movie once "Why would you, like, hate someone if you didn't want to kill them? And why would you kill someone if you didn't hate them?". If you hate them there's most likely a justified reason for it, such as being an evil dictator or forcing me to provide a vegetarian option.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser

Celebrating death is pointless and unproductive. Celebrate in your mind but the person is dead. Why should people still give a beep?

DeletedUser

What if a people gave there lives for a greater cause? That would be a good reason to celebrate death.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think it depends on whether you want to think

If someone is being abused by two people, something that completely degrades and breaks a person down through pain and suffering. If one of the aggressors was to die, for whatever reason, would the victim not feel joy at the fact that one of the people who has caused them so much pain is no longer alive? Their ordeal still wouldn't be over, but personally I believe I'd celebrate a little inside and rightly so.

Although I don't think anyone can make a valid point unless they've been in a situation where they have been oppressed or have suffered.

EDIT:
What if a person gave there lives for a greater cause? That would be a good reason to celebrate death.

No, you would be celebrating what they gave their life for and the courage they showed in paying the ultimate sacrifice. Not the fact that they are dead.

DeletedUser

Right, there are so many variations as to how one person or a nation of people could celebrate the death of someone.

Without death there would be no celebration. So they go hand in hand.

DeletedUser

Meh, we celebrate feeling good, which in turn makes us feel even better. If someone dies in the process, yippee...

DeletedUser

Without death there would be no celebration. So they go hand in hand.

I disagree. We would still celebrate Einstein, Newton, MLK Jr and Nobel regardless if they died or not because it is what they achieved in life that matters. Their death doesn't alter what they did or make it any more significant, if anything it marks a time to remember what they did in life.

DeletedUser13405

As someone who was as close to the 9/11 attacks as humanely possible and yet still breathe, I was gratified that the US finally tracked down and off'd one of the most responsible parties. Avenging the deaths of 3,000 innocent people would be, IMHO, a cause for a celebration.

There are certain individuals on the planet whose actions and behavior are so reprehensible toward others that they do not belong among the citizenry. You cited some very good examples. The world will be a more peaceful place without those individuals in it. For that, a celebration would be warranted.

DeletedUser

The death of Osama Bin Ladin was the beginning of the end for Al Qaeda. That's what it symbolized and that's what people should have been celebrating. Unfortunately, many celebrated for the wrong reasons, due to lack of insight as to what his death constituted (i.e., revenge/retribution = bad reason, whilst beginning of the end for a terrorist organization = good reason), Btw, for those of you who wish to argue it was not the beginning of the end for Al Qaeda, take it to a new thread, although articles directly from interviews with Al Qaeda operatives clearly states Osama's demise was in fact what I indicated.

Meh, people who celebrate the death of someone just don't understand what it is they "should" be celebrating.

DeletedUser

I will agree with you on this topic hellstormm, its not the death of the person we should be celebrating, its the death of his idea and his terrorist group

DeletedUser6029

I think that death is a cycle. So if a person dies we celebrate life. However, if a person is so vile, and the oppression is lifted, then of course it is ok to celebrate. It is freedom. I get it.

I will agree with you on this topic hellstormm, its not the death of the person we should be celebrating, its the death of his idea and his terrorist group
Is there a difference? A drunk driver killed somebody, does that mean he didn't actually kill anyone but the drink did? Or is it one and the same?

DeletedUser

I think that death is a cycle. So if a person dies we celebrate life. However, if a person is so vile, and the oppression is lifted, then of course it is ok to celebrate. It is freedom. I get it.
Huh? Wow domino, you really know how not to make any sense.

Is there a difference? A drunk driver killed somebody, does that mean he didn't actually kill anyone but the drink did? Or is it one and the same?
Not even remotely similar to what was being discussed. Back to Earth there Domino... work on your comprehension skillz.

DeletedUser6029

good to see you after a year as well :D How was your road trip? Don't you have another one? (due to the rule for excessive smilies, insert wink)
So we had Bin Laden dying and lots of Americans were happy about that. Then we had Gedaffi killed and all those Libyans were pretty happy about it, but with lots of Americans disgusted by their behavior, although America's continued hypocracy is another matter.

My personal view is that it's fine if they were pretty mean and deserved it. The way I see it, the Libyans weren't so much celebrating the death of someone but a new and better future for all who lived there. Likewise the Americans were celebrating what they saw as a big blow to terrorism, which meant they would be terrified quite less often. When Hitler died if you were celebrating it you were celebrating the end of a genocide and oppressive dictatorship.

Sure you can say they hated them, but we all hate people. I for one hate this girl I know who has the tendency to be a vegetarian. But as I heard in some movie once "Why would you, like, hate someone if you didn't want to kill them? And why would you kill someone if you didn't hate them?". If you hate them there's most likely a justified reason for it, such as being an evil dictator or forcing me to provide a vegetarian option.

Thoughts?
I responded with
I started out with my own opinion. No, I don't think it is ok to celebrate the average persons death, in answer to the topic's question. BUT there are a handful of people out there who are so vile, the pain they have caused, the monstrosities they commit, it is a freedom and a celebration of new life when they are dead. Is this harsh, of course, but so was it their choice to take the path to being a monster they took. I find the differences in how Hussein and Gaddafi died to be irrelevant. I think the people who were oppressed have every right to be happy and celebrate his death, but, where as Hussein was tried, and executed, Gaddafi was murdered. While the previous is the preferable to the latter, assassinations are nothing new to the world, and are quite moot in the grand scheme of things as far as their impact on their people. Thus....by all means, celebrate...and celebrate loudly.
edit: forgot this part As far as Bin Laden......He killed on our soil, and for us to belittle the celebration of those who had crimes on theirs is, I agree, hypocritical.

I just think you can't seperate a persons ideals from who they are. How many times do you hear, so and so isn't a jerk, it is the drink...as if that is an excuse. So in light of the horrible killings both examples are guilty of, what is the difference between a drunk driver, and the ideas of a fool? Why make it overly detailed, when simplifying it is the same result. The men (both of them) WERE their ideas...and thus the world is better off without them. Celebrate by all means and celebrate loudly.

DeletedUser

Are you insinuating that a person who kills another whilst drink driving deserves to die? I don't really follow how you can put that in the same bracket as a serial rapist or a creul dictator, someone who commits multiple acts of violence knowingly and willingly. Whereas drink drivers tend to just be someone who made an unfortunate mistake. One being the end of a 'regime' or 'reign' and the other being the end of another person.

DeletedUser6029

Are you insinuating that a person who kills another whilst drink driving deserves to die? I don't really follow how you can put that in the same bracket as a serial rapist or a creul dictator, someone who commits multiple acts of violence knowingly and willingly. Whereas drink drivers tend to just be someone who made an unfortunate mistake. One being the end of a 'regime' or 'reign' and the other being the end of another person.

Well actually, I do think that DUI deaths should be counted as premeditated murder...but that is another topic. In this case I was using it because someone said that "its not the death of the person we should be celebrating, its the death of his idea and his terrorist group" and I don't think you can separate the two. The DUI death was because (at least in America) we look at those kind of accidents and say it is a shame because the person isn't guilty, the drinking was, but at the time, were they not one and the same. In the case of Gaddafi, Bin Laden, (and I added Hussein) I don't think you can say, oh they were good guys, their ideology was wrong. To those that have lived through their tyranny that is rather shallow to say to them.

I realize that the DUI is a very simplified comparison, but I don't think the concept of the topic is all that detailed. I think it all boils down to right and wrong and cause and effect.

DeletedUser

Wait, you think murder caused by drink driving is premeditated?

And yes it is quite easy to separate the man from the idea; only those incapable of doing so claim that and as a result celebrate death for the wrong reason as outlined previous

DeletedUser

In the case of Gaddafi, Bin Laden, (and I added Hussein) I don't think you can say, oh they were good guys, their ideology was wrong. To those that have lived through their tyranny that is rather shallow to say to them.

It is easy enough to look at them as regular people, rather than looking at them simply by their actions. "Wrong action, right reason", as the saying goes.

Each of those men you mentioned were far more than their actions alone. For example, they each had a family, each had children. I'm sure they loved their children, as their children loved them. Why is it that their lives should be judged according to the bad things they do/did, rather than the good?

On topic, I do not think it is ever right to celebrate the death of another human being, no matter how 'bad' they were as a person. As already mentioned, nobody should be judged purely by their negative attributes. Perhaps instead of celebrating a person's death we should look at the good things they have achieved (no matter how small), and celebrate their life.

DeletedUser6029

Although I am not participating in this debate.

lolwut.
If your not participating, don't troll...just saying....

It is easy enough to look at them as regular people, rather than looking at them simply by their actions. "Wrong action, right reason", as the saying goes.
Oh I get your point, and while I agree most of the time, there are some people so vile, that with their death brings new life, so thank God they are gone. I dislike Obama, but I would never celebrate his death (should and if he were to die)...Wrong action, Right reason. There is a difference in a normal man and a monster.

Each of those men you mentioned were far more than their actions alone. For example, they each had a family, each had children. I'm sure they loved their children, as their children loved them. Why is it that their lives should be judged according to the bad things they do/did, rather than the good?

On topic, I do not think it is ever right to celebrate the death of another human being, no matter how 'bad' they were as a person. As already mentioned, nobody should be judged purely by their negative attributes. Perhaps instead of celebrating a person's death we should look at the good things they have achieved (no matter how small), and celebrate their life.
If you could please name me good, rather than just throw that out there I would be greatful. *sigh*
And on your logic, the lives that were saved with their deaths don't count for anything?
How about Hitler or Napoleon?

Wait, you think murder caused by drink driving is premeditated?

And yes it is quite easy to separate the man from the idea; only those incapable of doing so claim that and as a result celebrate death for the wrong reason as outlined previous

Yes I do :D Seems everyone is so shocked by that, start a new thread and I will gladly go into more detail.

DeletedUser

Oh I get your point, and while I agree most of the time, there are some people so vile, that with their death brings new life, so thank God they are gone. I dislike Obama, but I would never celebrate his death (should and if he were to die)...Wrong action, Right reason. There is a difference in a normal man and a monster.

If you could please name me good, rather than just throw that out there I would be greatful. *sigh*
And on your logic, the lives that were saved with their deaths don't count for anything?
How about Hitler or Neapolitan?

The good being anything. Simple things, like being a father to their children. Being a good husband, a good son. There are many parts of these people's lives that none of us know about, and it is not for us to judge them, and to deem them a 'monster'. I suspect you have misunderstood my "wrong action, right reasons" quote, from the way you have used it, but oh well.

I never said that lives saved by their deaths don't count for anything, nor did my post in any way imply that, so please do not put words into my mouth. Hitler did what he did for noble reasons - he believed that his actions were for the good of his country, and his people. Many supported him, supported his actions.. I assume you include him as 'a monster', so are you saying that they (his supporters) are wrong, and you are right?

As for Neapolitan, I have either missed a history lesson on that, or you have something against ice cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.