Is Space Exploration worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser44426

Is Space Exploration worth the money?

Space exploration is worth the money. My answer is why not, because when our planet is out of resources, we can rely on another planet to keep our life going. We could also change the way we live on earth, because when scientists in exploring the space they keep inventing new things and achieving new technologies that could improve our daily life. It gives human beings more knowledge about the universe. We might also find new living creatures and minerals. This might really help our country be more of a leader. If possible, we might find some living beings in space. Maybe we are not alone in this immense universe. Answers might be answered. There might be needs in the outer space. People might challenge themselves and find out more and more about space. Last but not least, Companies could have more and more money.

Shall we debate now?

DeletedUser

Open.
I'm pretty sure this was covered at some point, but only briefly in the quickfires.

Please try to back up your points, where possible, with evidence. It just makes your argument carry a bit more weight!

DeletedUser

no because i do not live in space, therefor there is no need to go there.

DeletedUser29066

no because i do not live in space, therefor there is no need to go there.

then why are you so spaced out?

Seriously, it would be great if more money could be dedicated to space exploration, just so forum spammers could some day be spamming from some world 10,000 light years away. I hope I don't live to see it, but I hope Pushty does :D

DeletedUser

Open.
I'm pretty sure this was covered at some point, but only briefly in the quickfires.

Please try to back up your points, where possible, with evidence. It just makes your argument carry a bit more weight!

Let's listen to Thomas shall we?

Let's make this more formal. Since chalna opposes space exploration, I shall be of the affirmative.
The topic: Be it resolved that space exploration is worth the money invested and is worth continuing to invest money.

I, (or we) of the affirmative are firmly of the opinion that space exploration is worth the money invested and is worth continuing to invest money. We will begin by analyzing the paper What is the Value of Space Exploration? presented at the symposium during July 18-19, 1994, by the National Geographic Society at Washington, D.C.

We will define "worth" by the following metrics given in the paper:
Does it enrich human existence? Fulfill a cultural imperative? Offer
critical additions to knowledge? Enhance economic
strength and technological competitiveness? Improve
international relations? Advance education? Improve
the quality of life? Feed spiritual needs?

we define space exploration as the activity that occurs beyond the Kármán line. We will restrict the scope of this analysis to the activities conducted by or in cooperation with NASA or by the International Space Station as such activities are the more prominent and easier to find.

Let us begin by looking at the scientific value offered by space exploration. Numerous experiments are conducted on the ISS which cannot be done on Earth. An example of such are the difference in microbial behaviour in space compared to Earth. I invite you to look at the experiments listed here http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/experiments_hardware.html#Biology-and-Biotechnology

Moving beyond experiments, let us examine the technology involved in developing the spacecraft used in space exploration. The advances in material science, aerospace technology, robotics etc. are a result of the billions poured into the research that space exploration demands. The materials used to construct spacecrafts are super-strong lightweight alloys that were developed in an effort to reduce the weight of spacecrafts and the overall cost of the craft. Yes, they're used for other purposes such as regular aircraft etc, but the original intent was to withstand the ruggedness of space.
I invite you to look at the Apollo dress suit (http://phys.org/news/2012-07-nasa-space-temperature-regulating-shirts-video.html) that was inspired by NASA's space suits. NOAX is a sealant used by NASA to repair damage that occurs on the exterior of the shuttle. It is a polymer at room temperature that gradually converts into a ceramic as temperatures increase. The spin-off for commercial purposes is called StarPCS. It is used for heat management in automobiles. The inspirations and spin-offs that have come as a result of space exploration are enormous. The scientific and engineering advances from space exploration by themselves justify the continuation of space exploration.

*and pause. I'll continue later. feel free to refute or make counter-claims to what I've said so far.

DeletedUser

I'm an imperialist so worth it. :D If there are other civilizations out there *waves arms at the sky* then they must be crushed and their planets taken! Or I suppose I would be satisfied with an alliance.

And if there is no other race out there, I'm still for space colonization.

DeletedUser

Of course its worth the money, our planet is doomed one way or the other, if humans dont kill eachother as a species or some other unforseen thing wipes out our entire civilization then our good friend the sun will surely do it in a couple of billion years when it runs out of fuel and starts expanding, thus incenerating the entire planet.
In order for this little species here to survive it is imperative to develop space-technologies and explore what's around us, one day finding another suitable planet for living will be our only choice of survival.

DeletedUser23986

our good friend the sun will surely do it in a couple of billion years when it runs out of fuel and starts expanding, thus incenerating the entire planet.

well, why worry about a couple billion year? You see the development in technology in past 200 years? At a point there were not even airplanes, and now we plan to launch human missions to Mars.

DeletedUser

well, why worry about a couple billion year? You see the development in technology in past 200 years? At a point there were not even airplanes, and now we plan to launch human missions to Mars.
Because we are still an eon away from where we need to be when such a thing happens. Sending a rocketship to Mars is one thing, but sending a vessel capable of sustaining life for hundreds or thousands of people at the same time to other solar systems hundreds of lightyears away is a whole other scenario.
Should common sense and our knowldege of physics right now be all correct, we don't have all that much time left =)

Varun

Strategos
Alright, this will be my first DnD in 2014 so let's make it count.

Of course, space exploration is worth the money. Let me tell you how.

1. As others have said, it will help us get resources from other planet. It may even bring us into contact with other sentient beings like us. The universe is billions of years old. Surely, Earth is not the only one out there with life.

2. (This reason is my favourite since I just thought of it) Space exploration helps us to test the limits of our technological development and technology.

Let me explain.

To go to space, one needs to apply extreme laws of physics, thermodynamics and several other technical branches. This includes fuel components, fuel, spacecraft material, satellite technology, radio and communications and whatnot. The only way to get to know their limits is by testing them in ideal conditions. i.e. in vacuum.

Now, creating vacuum on Earth is expensive and extremely troublesome. Why do that when one can test them where the conditions are already provided. Of course, one might create vacuum chamber. But a vacuum chamber can conduct only so much experiments. Space is a vast frontier in which several other technologies including the above mentioned can be tested. On top of that, we get to search for other life-forms and resources that will be a benefit to boot.

So yeah, space is the final frontier. :)

DeletedUser

It is totally worth it.

We've learned that there's water on moon, which means there is a possibility of existence of life. That in no way is a waste of money.We never know what lies beyond our galaxy, a whole new galaxy of humanoids who have the cure for cancer? Or a planet full of renewable coal and petroleum?We can make it an affirmative statement by seeing it ourselves. And if that's not worth it, I don't know what is.

so yeah,

DeletedUser

Of course its worth the money, our planet is doomed one way or the other, if humans dont kill eachother as a species or some other unforseen thing wipes out our entire civilization then our good friend the sun will surely do it in a couple of billion years when it runs out of fuel and starts expanding, thus incenerating the entire planet.
In order for this little species here to survive it is imperative to develop space-technologies and explore what's around us, one day finding another suitable planet for living will be our only choice of survival.

I'm gonna rely on the gravity assist theory. :D

DeletedUser

Make the force a reality then yes :)

I love science and space.

DeletedUser

doesn't anyone find this boring with everyone agreeing? It's more like a discussion as opposed to a debate.

DeletedUser

doesn't anyone find this boring with everyone agreeing? It's more like a discussion as opposed to a debate.

Space exploration WOULD be worth the resources... if we didn't have far more important... or at least far more immediate... uses for those valuable limited resources.

How can you possibly condone spending billions of dollars on a Buzz Lightyear rocket truck when a child in Detroit is starving to death... or when a military veterinarian can't get decent medical care... or a high school student in Connecticut is still learning on an archaic 2nd generation I-Pad built way back in 2012?

OF course space exploitation is important to the future of our civilization... so is the development of a successful in-home Smell-o-Vision System...

But because of limited resources we need to make hard priority choices... and worrying about the death of the sun in 5 billion years... or the GREAT parties we could have with the Borelian Slavegirls of Vega VII... have to give way to more immediate needs.... like a bridge to nowhere... or portable abortion clinics.

In collusion.... we need to focus on exploiting the Earth before attempting to exploit the stars.

And my mom would kick your mom's....

DeletedUser

Space exploration WOULD be worth the resources... if we didn't have far more important... or at least far more immediate... uses for those valuable limited resources.

How can you possibly condone spending billions of dollars on a Buzz Lightyear rocket truck when a child in Detroit is starving to death... or when a military veterinarian can't get decent medical care... or a high school student in Connecticut is still learning on an archaic 2nd generation I-Pad built way back in 2012?

OF course space exploitation is important to the future of our civilization... so is the development of a successful in-home Smell-o-Vision System...

But because of limited resources we need to make hard priority choices... and worrying about the death of the sun in 5 billion years... or the GREAT parties we could have with the Borelian Slavegirls of Vega VII... have to give way to more immediate needs.... like a bridge to nowhere... or portable abortion clinics.

In collusion.... we need to focus on exploiting the Earth before attempting to exploit the stars.

And my mom would kick your mom's....

Sorry, I found everything you stated very weak Imo, I woupd explain why but I am to lazy for that.

and no, My mum would kick your mum's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.