Is There Any Way for a Player Starting Today to Get Anywhere Near the Top?

DeletedUser

So I've played Grepolis before. I played in Grepolis 1.0 World Delta a year or two ago, and I had the privilege of playing in several great alliances with talented, fun individuals. I played for Legion of Chaos, Eaters of the Dead, their respective training alliances, and the Huns for a short while. I had more than 300k if I remember correctly (my grepostats data was deleted when I didn't play for about six months) and I think maybe 23 or 25 cities. I joined while there were people with 50 cities, yet I managed to put in enough time to grow.

Since I'm currently on vacation, I've decided to start playing again. I joined world Heraklion today, and I'm not sure where to start. The biggest player is around 413k with 36 cities, and the other big ones are around 250k or higher. Of course, there's a large helping of small fries everywhere on the map, which includes my new town. I've landed in ocean 85 way out from the core, so there's no one huge nearby.

I had to relook at some old tuts and player guides to get back into the game, but I think I'm doing alright. The new 2.0 farming setup is a bit weird to me. I definitely prefer 1.0's farming.

So has anyone ever come into a world this late and come up on top? I want to do so, and I have the time to be active ingame, but I'd like to hear everyone else's stories on joining in mid-game.

DeletedUser

yes... of course. The rim is an easy picking ground for an experienced player and you can grow far faster than you can in the core. In corinth I started ~ 6 months behind everyone else and am now in the top 130.

DeletedUser

Yea the rim is really fun! It is not quite so competitive, and you can kinda expand at your own pace.

DeletedUser

I've been on the rim before, and the beginning is a lot easier. But what about warring? Do rim alliances ever come into contest with core alliances before at least the early stages of late-game?

DeletedUser

yes. While the core is fighting they don't notice the rim alliances. The better ones can sneak up on the core, and with the right decision making can influence combats and become a player.

DeletedUser

I started on the rim. I'm at ranking 455 and my alliance is ranked 27th. We are facing war with a higher ranked alliance. I do not care about points or BP and I have still made tremendous growth... Yes, of course you can up to the top.

DeletedUser29225

I think it is very easy for people who start late to get in the top rankings for the very reason that usually later on the rim is where all the wars are. The center is usually the first to fall to war and merges. The rankings derive strongly from BP and without war, there is little BP. Granted it takes a long time to catch people if you are shooting for the top 5 rankings, but I was thinking more along the top 25. There will always be people who are ridiculous and you will never be able to catch in the rankings (if you are going purely by city points, which i find to be the least significant ranking there is).