Is this game "Pay to Win"?

DeletedUser

Hello,

I just signed up today to check this game out. I've been playing Lord of Ultima for about three years now. I love that game, but I'm a bit burned out on it. I've been looking for a game that is somewhat similar, but a bit more up to date, and Grepolis seems to fit the bill so far. The only concern I have for this game (for any "free to play" game actually) is whether or not this game is "free to win".

I don't know if any of you have played Lord of Ultima before, but you could buy artifacts to use. However, you could farm way more artifacts in game than you could reasonably pay for. Also, there was a throttle as to how many artifacts you could use at a time (mana). Also, you really didn't NEED to buy any artifacts to play competitively. The only think you really need to play seriously were the ministers (very similar to the helpers in this game), which worked out to be about $5 a month which I gladly paid for the reduction of trivial city management tasks.

I'm hoping that the helpers in this game is all you really need to play. Although, it appears that they cost a bit more than the ministers in LoU, but if this ends up being a good game I enjoy, I'll gladly pay it. I just want to make sure that there are no opportunities in this game for someone to pour massive amounts of money into it and completely outmatch everyone else because of it. Again, I don't mind small boosts, especially if there is a throttle, but I just don't want to be severely unmatched against Wallet-Warriors no matter how well I play.

Anyway, any thoughts on this from you Grepolis veterans is greatly appreciated.

Meangrumpy

DeletedUser27700

There are really no massive advantages for you to purchase.
There are things that save time mostly, and some that save resources, but there is nothing I would consider "pay to win" here.

DeletedUser

Would you say that it is a requirement to keep the 5 helpers active at all times in order to play competitively? Or are there some of those helpers that don't provide much benefit. It seems the Administrator is a must. I haven't really looked into the others much.

DeletedUser41523

It really depends on how into the game you get and how deep your pockets are. Fact of the matter is gold does bring some pretty good advantages. You will be 10 times more organized and farm much more effectively with gold. You'll also fight slightly more effectively and produce resources while offline or idle a little quicker.

The real advantage comes from slashing times. You can be at conquest a lot faster depending on how much you want to spend. 30 bucks will land you at about the first 60 people conquering if you play right. However some people do spend more and depending on world speed you could find yourself in an up hill battle. If the player is pouring money into the game and restocking their nukes in a matter of days or even hours depending on if they get help or not. Then yes you will face a lot of trouble. If the player actually has skill then you'll probably take a beating. Luckily very few players who gold whore are very good.

So in a sense the game balances out a bit.

DeletedUser18132

No, it is not a requirement. There are players in the top 12 of each world that don't use gold at all. Besides, my definition of "winning" is just having fun here. If you have fun while playing, you're a winner! And you definitely don't need gold to enjoy it.

DeletedUser

Lord of Ultima... It's an alright game. (I don't think that counts as advertising a different game?)

Anyways, I know tons of players who rarely use gold. If you play right, you can be just as efficient as a player who uses gold.

DeletedUser23516

6 months to a year into the server, gold plays a much smaller role. There are plenty of players with crowns that have never used gold, although it helps early game.

DeletedUser

You need the administrator premium at least once you get past 10-15 cities, after that it gets to hard.

DeletedUser

^ I agree, other then that you really do not need it, unless if you want a boost against the competition in the beginning

DeletedUser25249

There are really no massive advantages for you to purchase.
There are things that save time mostly, and some that save resources, but there is nothing I would consider "pay to win" here.

What a scripted response,

Gold definitely increases the win ratio on a non gold user, just the premiums alone give you an instant increase of kill power, to me thats a win.

DeletedUser8790

What a scripted response,

Gold definitely increases the win ratio on a non gold user, just the premiums alone give you an instant increase of kill power, to me thats a win.

You nit the nail on the head, then throw one of the festivals in there and you can really crush your opponents, LOL that was a dumb moderator statement.

DeletedUser

Gold renewal

I have an idea; How about the programmers offer a set gold renewal amount, say every four hours you get 10 gold, for players who don't want to get any of the offers that are on the list of items to choose from?

Hello,

I just signed up today to check this game out. I've been playing Lord of Ultima for about three years now. I love that game, but I'm a bit burned out on it. I've been looking for a game that is somewhat similar, but a bit more up to date, and Grepolis seems to fit the bill so far. The only concern I have for this game (for any "free to play" game actually) is whether or not this game is "free to win".

I don't know if any of you have played Lord of Ultima before, but you could buy artifacts to use. However, you could farm way more artifacts in game than you could reasonably pay for. Also, there was a throttle as to how many artifacts you could use at a time (mana). Also, you really didn't NEED to buy any artifacts to play competitively. The only think you really need to play seriously were the ministers (very similar to the helpers in this game), which worked out to be about $5 a month which I gladly paid for the reduction of trivial city management tasks.

I'm hoping that the helpers in this game is all you really need to play. Although, it appears that they cost a bit more than the ministers in LoU, but if this ends up being a good game I enjoy, I'll gladly pay it. I just want to make sure that there are no opportunities in this game for someone to pour massive amounts of money into it and completely outmatch everyone else because of it. Again, I don't mind small boosts, especially if there is a throttle, but I just don't want to be severely unmatched against Wallet-Warriors no matter how well I play.

Anyway, any thoughts on this from you Grepolis veterans is greatly appreciated.

Meangrumpy

DeletedUser18132

You should write any ideas in the Ideas section, but be sure to use the proper format first!

DeletedUser39031

Only premium I ever use is on admin and commander. I just top up with whatever credit I have spare on my phone before it expires.

DeletedUser22650

grepo isnt quite as pay to win as lou but its been steadily going further down that route for some time now ;(

DeletedUser39847

I would say unless your willing to spend hours doing 5 min farming then yeah gold gives an advantage but if you set yourself up right it comes down to the individual skill of the player.

I rarely use gold but yet have gotten the better of big gold users more than once...

I also find that players who don't use alot of gold that do well are very formidable

DeletedUser

i find that doing the offers gets me enough gold to get through the early game, and easily later when i only need 1 or 2 hundred every couple weeks for admin and captain (or commander)

DeletedUser36146

Pick most worlds now and at the top is a player who is 50+ cities ahead of everyone else
This is achieved by continually spending on olympic festivals
Anybody who thinks this game is not "free to win" needs to play more often

It used to be good but Im afraid its gone down the drain over the last couple of years :(