Is this game "Pay to Win"?

DeletedUser

2) a lot of time 8 hours + per day to play.

This is more beneficial then gold, to an extent that is within reason. To beat this with gold you're going to need to get out the credit card.

DeletedUser22708

I was ranked top 10 in points and bp (abp + dbp) in Athens for a long time, i'm also ranked 3 in abp in calydon, having said that, i don't think i would have reached those spots without having the commander, captain and administrator activated. So if you consider being a top ranked player winning than you'll definitely need to spend a little amount of gold, just on those premium features. Because managing +100 cities & farming without administrator and captain is only possible if you're either retired or you sit at home 24/7.

Also if you start a new world, don't worry if you see some players using massive amounts of gold to be ranked first, from my experience these are the players that quit the world first when things get tough.

DeletedUser

^^^^ agree with this, the advisers are really all you need gold for, and you don't need all of them.

DeletedUser32412

This used to be a good game. From my time playing it, till now it got better from when I started and to now when it is horrific due to instant buy and gold trading.

The makers are truely ruining this game for anyone who doesnt want to spend serious money to be competitive. I have always used the features that with gold gave you an advantage moderately. Sadly with these newer features some are completely unrestrained. You are not playing on any sort of even ground with these features involved. Gold trading and instant by is crazy over powering some ego's on this game.

Instant army or hours of effort to build one! If your the one doing the latter then you simply cant compete.

DeletedUser23222

Wow. How funny... And sad. Yes, Grepolis was a lot of fun a few years ago. The owners sold out and the company was taken over by freemium madness. One after another limitation on the benefits of gold were removed to encourage spending. Those great players who once defended the game are mostly gone now. Freemium has gotten so bad I have given up on online strategy games. So have ALL of my old gamer friends. They killed the golden goose. Ruined gaming for all of us.

JungleBear

Phrourach
defo pay to win....the game used to balance out, with high activity and skill... constant events, obvious bots and instant buy...need i say more..... yet i find myself reading the forum, !!!
maybe because of the glorious battles we had before it went gold crazy... when new worlds were full of players, before 2.0 70,000, before gold trading 45,000, now i see 20,000 quickly fall to 5,000...

This once was a great game, i miss playing on even levels with other players. them days are gone...:(

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I think this game is pay to win. How can someone get up to 16 cities within two months of starting a world. This was my latest experience. Although Im a very active player and have been able to stay up with or do better than some reg players. Then the people that poor money into this game come along and the crush you. You cant keep up. Although they cant buy resources. Having the instant complete allows them to get ahead so much faster that regularar players cant keep up. Its so discouraging knowing that all the players are not on even footing. That if youre willing to spend enough money you can dominate the other players who dont or cant. Think about armies. If im attacked by a player and we both deplete our forces. While im spending the next few days building up resources and having to wait while my barracks slowly trains troops. The person with money can just wait for the resources. Then they can instant complete their troops and continue to hit me. Unless im willing to poor in money, they will always have the upper hand. Whats the point. Why would a majority of players want to continue to play this game if it is so skewed to the few who can spend money on it. So unfair I think. I dont care what anyone says. It is definitely pay to win.

DeletedUser

This used to be a good game. From my time playing it, till now it got better from when I started and to now when it is horrific due to instant buy and gold trading.

The makers are truely ruining this game for anyone who doesnt want to spend serious money to be competitive. I have always used the features that with gold gave you an advantage moderately. Sadly with these newer features some are completely unrestrained. You are not playing on any sort of even ground with these features involved. Gold trading and instant by is crazy over powering some ego's on this game.

Instant army or hours of effort to build one! If your the one doing the latter then you simply cant compete.
Thats what ive been saying. Anyone who cant see that is being nieve.

DeletedUser

guys please cut the crap and be honest
yes this game is pay to win
On the other hand, it requires active playing you must be online as often as possibel.
you MUST use gold for administors at least 4 of them and must pay some HUGE amount of gold to insta complete to be conquest revolt ready before many players
your army ruined no problem just get rescourses by paying gold and insta army in 1 min
Biremes burned no problem get some stone and wood and insta complete abra kaaadabra 15 biremes at your service in 1 min
pay more and rinse repeat so you can build 100 biremes less than 2 hours again.
and you MUST be there when the server is opened not after 10 days.
gold is not the only condition to win others must be done too.
this game is not rocket science the most important thing is stash gold and be online rest is just empty bucket. I have been playing that game for a long time was here when there was no gold , here when it was only complete process 50% and NOW insta complete, gold using is improved step by step with time. People talk about pro playing, snipe and try to prove that they are pro and show that game more difficult than it is but ehh get 20k gold and read wiki 3-4 hours then you are ready.
cash is king.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser40036

yes and no. you really MUST run Captain. that is your minimum. if you want to be frugal, you can wait on the others until begin protect is over. I consider being an essential player on a top alliance winning. you do not have to gold-spam manti-nukes to accomplish that. you should spend a bit, start with captain and maybe administrator, and save back the rest. do you need to pay to compete? yes, a bit. do you need to spend 200$ a month, no. If you drop a $20 spot in the beginning, and occasionally add $5-10 more to maintain, you can be very effective. you may not be #1 in the world, but you can definitly be an important part of the #1 alliance

DeletedUser32488

This game is an epitome of pay to win. I used to save about 25000 gold by trading resources on the servers I didn't intend to play. I decided to give new world a try and spend all the gold there. Joined a strong alliance with mostly old-timers who knew the game inside and out. The world looked very promising and supposed to be fun.

Once beginner protection was gone, we were crushed by continious 350+ LS and 20+ manticore nukes. Think I saw a 60 manti one on day 6. My 25k gold were spent in a few days. The main problem is insta-buy and constant events, where you can reap extremely overpowered rewards by spending ridiculous amount of gold.

However even if you pour in cash, you still need to remain extremely active and maintain a circle of in-game friends to compete (really means being in a very organized alliance). At least this aspect of Grepo hasn't changed that much. Just the game became very expensive to play. It used to be where you paid for all 5 advisors and could compete fairly well. Perhaps not top-10, but top-20 for sure.

It used to be nowhere near as bad, sure gold gave very noticeable advantage but with game knowledge and a circle of friends you could be on the top or very close. I would still enjoy Grepolis and support it as I did before. Sadly it seems to be more profitable for the owners to keep the game in it's current state, despite dramatically lower numbers of players.

DeletedUser43011

I just come to troll as I can no longer afford to play this game .... so damn expensive to keep any form of decent gaming reputation.