Kony 2012

• Thread starter DeletedUser12571
  • Start date

Aicy

Strategos
Yey, more sensationalism with little accurate facts. I like how a five year old white boy is in it more than any Ugandan person.

Lugosi

Strategos
426404_3203526082562_1098417624_3355825_837458537_n.jpg

DeletedUser18825

If everything on there is true, and it does work, then that would be awesome...

DeletedUser

Oh look at me! I liked a status! I'm a social activist! I feel better about myself because others have it worse!

DeletedUser6029

Without clicking a bunch of links..what is it? It is clogging up my FB.

DeletedUser

Without clicking a bunch of links..what is it? It is clogging up my FB.

It'd take me some time to do the situation justice, watching the video and doing some digging on the internet would probably be the best way.

DeletedUser

Oh hey I'm back ;)

This is ridiculous, you watch a video and then act like you've been an expert for the last 20 years. A few of the memes are entirely correct. Sure, it's terrible, but people are pathetic acting like they're involved.

DeletedUser6029

It'd take me some time to do the situation justice, watching the video and doing some digging on the internet would probably be the best way.

Or I can just wait for the topic to get dug into with great detail and true facts and decide it is a bogus bunch of poo, and sent nastygrams to my idiot friends who fell for it:D (missing da wink *SOBS*)

Aicy

Strategos
Oh hey I'm back ;)

This is ridiculous, you watch a video and then act like you've been an expert for the last 20 years. A few of the memes are entirely correct. Sure, it's terrible, but people are pathetic acting like they're involved.

You know what? This I don't mind. Who cares if people are feeling good because they are contributing to a cause? At least they're helping the world become a better place.

What I don't like is Invisible Children; their propaganda, false information, methods and places where they put their donations.

DeletedUser

What I don't like is Invisible Children; their propaganda, false information, methods and places where they put their donations.

So true, Here's my post from the DnD section that not everyone may have access to.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all, let me say that I do not support Joseph Kony or his actions in any way.

I do, however, feel that the Kony 2012 campaign is one big fraud.
Firstly, as a registered not-for-profit, Invisible Childrens finances are public. "Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (source, see the sixth page), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production.This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.”
The 32% that does make it to uganda is most likely further whittled down by the Uganda (local) governments.

Secondly, the movie that everyone has seen was made in 2004, meaning the content is almost 8 years old. Not surprisingly the movie is very misleading and doesn't tell us a few things. Joseph Kony is no longer in in Uganda and neither is the LRA. Additionally, the LRA does not have an army of 30,000+ child soldier, this number that Invisible Children used is the estimated number of total kidnapped children by the LRA in almost 30 year. And their recent child recruitment has dropped with 80%.

Furthermore, even if we catch and kill Joseph Kony, then what? Corruption is not uncommon in Uganda and the Middle-African governments are known to disregard human rights, just like their police force. I personally think that this corrupted system that is surprisingly prominent in Africa is responsible for more deaths that Joseph Kony and his LRA. I also think that this is the first issue that must be resolved.

As you may or may not know, Invisible Children is lobbying to pass a bill that would allow the USA to intervene and work together with the corrupt Uganda forces.
S.1067 - Lord's Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act of 2009 said:
providing political, economic, military, and intelligence support for viable multilateral efforts to protect civilians from the Lord's Resistance Army, to apprehend or remove Joseph Kony and his top commanders from the battlefield in the continued absence of a negotiated solution, and to disarm and demobilize the remaining Lord's Resistance Army fighters;"
Why the USA and not the UN you ask? Recently, oil has been discovered in Uganda. I fear another Iraq, but please draw your own conclusions.

Their charity ratings aren't the best either.

Now, to answer OP's question, I do think that this campaign promoted slacktivism. People who shared the movie on FB, or liked the youtube video feel like they are social activists while they really haven't done anything to help the situation. The only thing it really does is make us feel better.
There are better causes to support than the Kony 2012 campaign.