Passed Library - making it worth building

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser809

Proposal:
Building the Library allows for one legendary type of weaponry to be researched making either ranged, sharp or blunt equipped units increase their attack power (+5%) and making all units increase their defense against the same weapon type (+5%). In addition there would be a legendary naval technology that provides a bonus to naval attack and defense (+5%). Only one type can be researched and it does apply to support and mythical units. This would replace the current bonus of 12 research points and the four techs would appear in the Library rather than the Academy.

Archive check: Yes

Reason:
The library is currently a rarely built left side special building. The main reason for this is that most cities are specialized for either one type of offense or defense and the loss of population is not worth the bonus research points. Furthermore the bonus research points do not contribute to the specialization since there are already enough research points available for this from a level 28 to 30 academy. By allowing players to choose a weapon type to enhance they get back more attack power than they lose from the population put into building the library and increase their defense at the same time.

Details:
Build the library as usual and then choose one type of legendary weapon to research. The cost for researching should probably be somewhere along the lines of 50% more than level 28 academy techs like battering ram. I'm not sure what names would be appropriate for each weapon type. I'm a bit weak on my Greek mythology but I imagine there are famous weapons that were wielded either by gods or heroes whose names would fit. Feel free to post your suggestions.

Visual Aids:
If anyone is good at making these it would be nice to see an example of what the tiles could look like for each legendary weapon in the library.

Balance:
I believe the only balancing required is in the bonuses applied. The 10% population bonus for the Thermal Baths could effectively be looked at as a 10% bonus in attack/defensive power since most of the additional population will likely be used for troops anyway. So applying 5% to attack and defensive power for a single unit type avoids this problem and allows for a unique type of city specialization. In addition the weaker offensive bonus is offset by the fact that cities with weapon specializations will suffer fewer troop losses than those with Thermal baths.

Abuse Prevention:
None, that I can think of.

Summary:
The point of this is to make the library a building worth building and make it serve a unique purpose. In addition to supporting different types of unit specialization for offensive cities this also stacks well with the tower for defensive cities. Lastly the dual bonus to attack and defense can offer a unique advantage to some units that balance between attack and defense (ie. triremes, chariots, hoplites and some of the mythical units) and are currently less favored than other units.

Sharp - Spear of Achilles or Poseidon's Trident
Distance - Heracles' Bow or Apollo's Bow
Blunt - Sword of Peleus
Naval - The Argo (magical ship of the Argonauts)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Will the bonus be applied to all of the players units in all of their cities or just the units in the city the bonus was researched?

DeletedUser

i like it
but i have a question what are weapons can be researched if this is implemented?

DeletedUser809

Will the bonus be applied to all of the players units in all of their cities or just the units in the city the bonus was researched?

lol. definitely not. only to the units of the city where the tech is researched as it is with any other tech.

Supporting units from other cities would gain the bonuses while supporting that city and of course units from cities with a library would not keep the bonuses applying to their troops if a city they were supporting did not have the tech researched.

I'm open to suggestions for weapon names.

Basically we'd need a name for:

A spear (sharp)
A sword (blunt)
A bow (ranged)
A ship (naval)

Update: Researched mythical Greek versions of these items and posted in the OP.

DeletedUser15946

"Supporting units from other cities would gain the bonuses while supporting that city and of course units from cities with a library would not keep the bonuses applying to their troops" That sounds pretty useless in defense, units should keep bonus in support. Why to bother ales, what is purpose of def units and biremes then support?

DeletedUser809

"Supporting units from other cities would gain the bonuses while supporting that city and of course units from cities with a library would not keep the bonuses applying to their troops" That sounds pretty useless in defense, units should keep bonus in support. Why to bother ales, what is purpose of def units and biremes then support?

That is actually quite reasonable. It's the same way tech bonuses apply in Tribal Wars. Your units get the tech of the city they are supporting instead of the city they are from. So the defensive bonus only applies in the city where it's researched to any units placed there.

DeletedUser

i like the overall idea its quite creative and would add a nice twist

DeletedUser

Perhaps a good name for swords is Wind Shear, the sword of hermes.

Good idea, but I don't think any good enough player would prefer a 5% bonus over 300 extra troops
I for one definetly wouldn't, but still it"s a good idea and a lot better than the current bonus of the library

DeletedUser

Hmm... I have reservations over this idea, what would be the point of using the +5% defensive bonuses for blunt/ranged/sharp when I can just build a tower and get 10% cover for all and don't need the extra research points? Seems a bit flawed.

On the other hand, the bonuses to offense are a plus, but the bonuses need to cover all four attack types and perhaps be 10% to make it worthwhile, especially since attack values for common land offensive units (16, 18.33333, and 23) are lower than common land defensive values (37, 43, and 52). If the Library were the offensive equivalent to a Tower, I would see that it would get a lot more use, and players would have to pick between the two for specific city builds. Just my two cents.

DeletedUser

So basically make it an offensive tower, but the library indirectly does that with a research? And don't forget make it where research is removed after tower is destroyed.

DeletedUser

It's a really good idea. Thermal baths and Lighthouse have to be torn down to build it.

The increase percentage (5% as you said) should be set high enough to encourage it's use and balance with the increase in attack and defense of the extra population from the thermal baths. Then it will seem an option worth considering. Need someone to do the math on that percentage increase though..

DeletedUser

I can't see this happening, although I definitely support it.

DeletedUser

Names:

A spear (sharp) - Zeus's bolt
A sword (blunt) - Excaliber
A bow (ranged) - The bow of Artemis
A ship (naval) - Iron Victory

DeletedUser

(bow) apologies for taking so long to get to this

this is a fantastic idea, the bonuses would be awesome, limiting it to one bonus per city will help with balancing

moved to development

please continue to collaborate on this idea

(also consecutive bumping does nothing; if i dont see it the first time, instead of bumping it u coulda just linked me to it on my wall :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.