Love - Within or Beyond the Individual

DeletedUser8396

This one's a bit...strange. It's aim is to disassociate love with humans:

First, choose one thing you love. Any one thing. Whatever it is, you now have no perceptions of it – past present or future. The thing you love no longer exists. Now, tell me – does that love still exist? Certainly not. If a mother loves her daughter, but we then remove the mother’s perceptions of her daughter, she cannot love her daughter as the daughter’s existence is a necessary component of that love.

This then means that objects and sentient beings must precede love. Without objects, love does not exist.

But is that true?

Think of your favorite song. A song you truly love. All that song is a string of notes combined with a set of words. Remove any perception of that song from your mind? Do you still love it? The prior logic would say no, but one moment. Consider:

Why did you love that song beforehand? Other experiences you had led to that love of that song. Now, assuming those experiences were still in place, would you not still have the same love for that song, but it simply not be activated? A “sleeper cell” of love, if you will. And a mother, if removing all perceptions of her daughter, would she not still love a daughter bearing the same qualities and title, but that love simply remain unknown yet as it has not achieved a focus?

But isn’t that much like a bacteria residing outside the body? The result would be sickness, but the bacteria does not have something to make ill. The bacteria still exists, but the result of sickness awaits someone to make sick. The bacteria relating experiences, sickness to love, and the body as the object being loved. Just as the bacteria does not equate to a cough, experiences do not equate to being love.

We are our experiences.

So, if experiences do not equate to love without an object, then love is tied to objects. Whether it is tied to experiences is to be seen.

The bacteria did not cause sickness – the combination of bacteria and body made sickness. Simple equation, really.

The subject, if having no senses whatsoever, is essentially secluded within himself. He is only aware of himself. The question – can the subject love himself?

“Himself”, by the very nature of the word, implies an identity and a being. However, in order to have an adequate identity, one much first experience various things in order to establish preferences, impressions, and concepts about one’s person. The individual cannot love his appearance as he has neither seen his body nor seen another body to compare itself against. He cannot love or admire his accomplishments as he neither knows what he has done (as he has not sensed or perceived it) nor knows whether the actions he is aware of are worthy of praise and thus loveable.

The point is that objects require experiences before they exist. For if there is a cube before you but you cannot see, taste, smell, touch or hear it, the object essentially does not exist in the paradigm one lives. And since the object cannot effectively exist without experiences and love cannot exist without an object, then love therefore cannot exist without experiences.

Also, if one were to return all senses, yet remove all objects, the senses would be nonexistent. For if there is no box, one cannot sense any being of a box. Apply this to all objects and there are no senses (effectively). So, experiences and objects are co-requisites for love to exist.

Thus far, love seems to be linked to the individual – within himself. Since experiences are required for the love to exist, we can adequately assume that love is directly within the mind and within oneself. However, let us return to the CD example.

Experiences are essentially a list of interpretations of events. Objects are universal. Lists are essentially universal. The song that elicits one’s love appeals to a certain number of items of that list. Were those same experiences placed in any other being capable of love, the same love would come about as our identities are based in our experiences.

Therefore, since only certain criteria must be met to elicit love, and criteria in and of themselves do not require an individual to exist, then we may reduce love to a view of criteria in conjunction with objects.

Although objects do not effectively exist to an individual without senses, the objects still physically exist in and of themselves- especially in relation to a universal criteria. And since neither objects nor criteria demand an individual to exist, and both elicit love, we can adequately claim that love exists outside the body.

DeletedUser31385

Very interesting indeed. Took my tired brain a moment to process it all. I remember hearing about killing love on some TV program. A person thought he had to kill Aphrodite. Aphrodite can't be killed by a mortal. The object the person loved had to be killed.

DeletedUser33530

Very interesting indeed. Took my tired brain a moment to process it all. I remember hearing about killing love on some TV program. A person thought he had to kill Aphrodite. Aphrodite can't be killed by a mortal. The object the person loved had to be killed.
nah he can still the love the memory of the object.

you know this is a really bad comparison but this reminds me of the old saying "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?" Of course it makes a sound. Again really bad comparison but that's sort of what pebble is doing with love here.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31385

nah he can still the love the memory of the object.

you know this is a really bad comparison but this reminds me of the old saying "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?" Of course it makes a sound. Again really bad comparison but that's sort of what pebble is doing with love here.

I agree with this. Im just tired so I can't process it lol

DeletedUser8396

Thought this would garner more controversy lol...Or at least opinions :D

DeletedUser33530

OK that not the weirdness thing he has ever done by a long shot.

DeletedUser36436

You learn to love certain things but you also learn the effects of weed (look it up if you don't believe me) so in some sense, love is like weed and you learn its effects. So if you love the effects of weed, what do you love?

This is relevant and makes sense somehow.

DeletedUser

I don't disagree with the OP. I also don't want to offend you but I think it's an arduous argumentation to show something very trivial :p Whether you're right or wrong the outcome doesn't really influence anything.

DeletedUser8396

I don't disagree with the OP. I also don't want to offend you but I think it's an arduous argumentation to show something very trivial :p Whether you're right or wrong the outcome doesn't really influence anything.

Oh you're definitely right about it being trivial lol. Mainly just wanted to see if I could make the case.

DeletedUser

If that has been the motivation and intention behind your last three Off topic subjects covering the Existence of God and The Right to Life then this shows irresponsibility on your part. In fact I would argue that you have deliberately chosen serious subjects and posed them in a way that would lead to conflict flaming and trolling on the externals. Even some some of your comments to some of the posts made by other contributors seem to display the same shallow motivation.

What the hell are Devs and Community managers doing allowing you free reign to peddle your ego in this game?

DeletedUser8396

If that has been the motivation and intention behind your last three Off topic subjects covering the Existence of God and The Right to Life then this shows irresponsibility on your part. In fact I would argue that you have deliberately chosen serious subjects and posed them in a way that would lead to conflict flaming and trolling on the externals. Even some some of your comments to some of the posts made by other contributors seem to display the same shallow motivation.

What the hell are Devs and Community managers doing allowing you free reign to peddle your ego in this game?

Controversy entices people to post and isn't inherently bad you're simply looking for things to whine about and its starting to irritate not only me but many others as well. Don't like what I say? Report it or bugger off.