Discussion Make Stone Hail an optional type of attack

• Thread starter DeletedUser54192
  • Start date

DeletedUser54192

Proposal:
Change the Stonehail research so that it allows you to select Stone Hail as a type of attack, rather than having it automatically active for all attacks from a city where it has been researched.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Briefly checked, not seen it in either.

Reason:
- Stone Hail is a bit of a hit-and-miss research. It is good in specific circumstances, such as trying to prevent small enemy colonisations from growing, however in generic use (approximately 20-40 cats in an OLU nuke) it isn't particularly great, as a few levels off of some buildings is more of an annoyance than a game-changer if you're not continually hitting the same enemy city with that sort of thing (although some buildings can be very good to hit even once, such as the farm). And you don't necessarily want to be damaging the city if you are intending to take it.

Details:
- Change Stonehail to be a type of attack, in the same form as Revolt and Breakthrough.
- Change the text description of the research accordingly:
Makes it possible for your catapults to attack with a Stone Hail tactic. Your catapults have a chance of destroying the level of a building (excluding special buildings). The chance increases by 10% with each catapult included in the attack. But you are unable to revolt your target with this attack.
- Make Stone Hail mutually exclusive to Revolt and Breakthrough, so that only one of them can be put on any one attack (in the same way that Breakthrough and Revolt are mutually exclusive).

Visual Aid: (Apologies for the poor cut-and-pasting, but I am by no means an artist.)
Stonehail Variant v1.0.png

Balance:
- You either get to damage the city, making it worse for the enemy but at the cost of making it less attractive to take for you or your teammates, or you choose not to damage the city which means that the enemy gets to keep all functions, but makes it more attractive for you or your teammates to conquer.
- It would be mutually exclusive to Revolt attacks and Breakthrough attacks (in the same way as Breakthrough attacks cannot be Revolt attacks and vice versa), which would hopefully make it more of a tactical decision: do you want to damage the city a bit, do you want to revolt it with a view to take it, or are you worried about running into a little too much naval defense.

Abuse Prevention:
- I'm not sure on abuse of this. Most of the complaints about stonehail are about players spamming stonehail catapults to reduce a city to rubble. This wouldn't really decrease the likelihood of this happening, but I can't see how it would make it worse as it isn't increasing the damage caused by stonehail.

Summary:
- Make Stone Hail an optional type of attack, in the same form as Revolt and Breakthrough researches.
- Make it mutually exclusive to Revolt and Breakthrough attacks, in the same way that Revolt and Breakthrough attacks are mutually exclusive.

Notes:
- Any comments or constructive criticisms would be greatly appreciated (no flaming please - if you don't like it, explain why). This is just something that I thought of recently what with the other debates about Stonehail, and the dilemma I have had for a while on whether or not it is worth researching stonehail in all OLU cities.
- Comments about balance from a Conquest perspective would be especially useful. I've only really played 1 Conquest server, so I don't have much experience there and don't know how such a change would impact that portion of the community.
- If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I understand that it's entirely possible that I haven't explained something properly (although I can't find anything obvious at the moment).

DeletedUser

You can support that idea in a comments' section of a Devblog article. See my previous post for link. If it receive a positive feedback, it can be implemented into the game. Even without any unnecessary voting polls. ;)

DeletedUser54192

kal, didn't we discuss this idea before?
I thought it had support
like it!
I'm not sure. There have been a few discussions to do with catapults and stone hail on here before, but I think it was mainly about placing limits on stone hail due to people getting upset that their undefended cities were getting torn down.

Thanks!

https://devblog.grepolis.com/?p=2127
This article should be definitely annouced by somebody... the GPC (to gather feedback from players) or the team...
Thanks! We really do need some link between the devblog and the forum, maybe in the form of Community Announcements about new Devblog articles.

Rachel.L

Phrourach
kal, know about the current discussion with MI but think we had one previously
will do some searching when I have time ;)
in any case, I think it's a good proposal

DeletedUser54192

Oops. I didn't spot it because it was at the bottom of the thread, rather than in the original proposal.
smiley_emoticons_blush-reloaded6.gif
Nice spot!

Rachel.L

Phrourach
hehe
np
anyway, I still like the idea and think it is something we should consider
it may also be something that @MI-13 finds as a responsible alternative to his proposal

DeletedUser31385

This idea isnt exactly the same as the other. Both of them could pass and be implemented.

Rachel.L

Phrourach
okay, fig
kane's proposal is sep but I understand how you might think I was referring to it, rather than just the discussion to which I was pointing kal as mentioned above
glad you clarified that for everyone

DeletedUser51063

Stone Hail, Temple Looting and Battle Experience should be research options given to make the BORING Hyperborea a bit more exciting.

As it is, .... argh!