Passed Make the world spherical

• Thread starter DeletedUser31385
  • Start date

DeletedUser31385

Proposal
To make the world map into a sphere and make this aspect of the game more practical and realistic.

Reason
It does not make any sense to get to a certain point and just fall off the map. It was said the Earth was flat, but it never was. Ancient Greek mathematicians discovered the roundness/circumference of the Earth. It only makes sense that the Earth should be round.

Details
Example: You are in 58. You want to get to 50. It would take you 477 hours currently. If the world was spherical it would take you only 114 hours with your CS. This would make more sense.

Ocean Borders Along the Western/Eastern Edges
Each ocean along the western and eastern edges would border another ocean. A list of all the borders can be found below:

00 borders 90 | 05 borders 95
01 borders 91 | 06 borders 96
02 borders 92 | 07 borders 97
03 borders 93 | 08 borders 98
04 borders 94 | 09 borders 99​

The Origins
The first origin (spawn point of players) would be kept at the 44, 45, 55, 54 meeting point with the addition of a second origin at 04, 05, 94, 95 (a second spawn point). The second spawn point could be moved based on how big the world would be. The second point would help to eliminate the advantages of founding in a far off ocean. It might also allow more development during the early and mid game stages as well as more competition when it comes to the World Wonders Era. The second origin would simply allow more alliances to form and be successful as they would be somewhat spread out.

The Poles "No-Go Zones"
The poles will be a no-go zone (covered in ice). Naval units and land units can't go through the no-go zone due to ice coverage. Flying mythical units can, however fly right over this. The no-go zone would be at the north and south poles of the world. (this would be above the northern and below the southernmost oceans)

World Shrinkage Based on Average Join Rates
New worlds would shrink based on the average join rate of other worlds of that particular speed. This means a world will NOT be exactly 100 oceans unless it has a really high join rate. The world could be shrunk by either eliminating ocean in the north/south, in the east/west, or a mixture of the two. This could potentially bring more excitement into speed 1 worlds as the fighting would be closer together and more intense.

Visual Aids

4prcww2.png
I1YaB2X.png
*Thanks to Genios for these visuals

Balance/Abuse Prevention
This would make outer oceans closer together resulting in more wars and also more opportunities for success. Helps to prevent the exploit of founding on the edge. Also, could intensify fighting in smaller worlds.

DeletedUser36436

This makes total sense and bring everything closer together meaning more wars and opportunities. It also gets rid of people exploiting the game by founding on the edge. It wouldn't make the edge more popular but more accessible and stops people from exploiting the map. Being rimmed wouldn't be too bad either. Too bad I have to spread my rep.

Last edited:

DeletedUser31385

I didn't think of solving that abuse part. I added that part in.

Last edited:

DeletedUser40768

Probably a wish list type of idea, but it sounds nice. Although what shape would each ocean be then?

DeletedUser36436

I have created some 3D stuff on Photoshop to show what I imagine it would look like in the finished concept (using grepomaps):

4prcww2.png

and for worlds with day/night cycle:

I1YaB2X.png

DeletedUser8396

Have to admit, I was skeptical at the title, but I really like this. And no, it's not Wish List because it isn't suggesting a new world type or anything else DNS.

DeletedUser31385

I have created some 3D stuff on Photoshop to show what I imagine it would look like in the finished concept (using grepomaps):

4prcww2.png

and for worlds with day/night cycle:

I1YaB2X.png

Thanks for those visuals. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DeletedUser40768

That visual looks nice. Though what would this change in game. You can argue that the world in game is a circle but like a map the the worlds looks flat. I don't see what they can do with oceans and everything in game to give it a sense that the world is spherical.

Have to admit, I was skeptical at the title, but I really like this. And no, it's not Wish List because it isn't suggesting a new world type or anything else DNS.

I stand corrected then.

DeletedUser31385

If your in an ocean 09, this will allow you sail to ocean 99 directly and not have to sail across the whole map as you have to currently. This would be the same with other outer oceans.

DeletedUser36436

Your ships would take the shortest route, which is logical if the world is in fact round. It is flat and I always wonder what happens in the corners :D

DeletedUser31385

I would think 00 would be connected to only 90 if you take the map and wrap it around a ball. The only thing is... What would happen at the poles? :heh:

DeletedUser36436

Probably a no go zone, like in Civilisation with a ton of ice that you cannot move over so nothing collides.

DeletedUser31385

Ya, that would make sense. Although, certain mythical units can fly over the ice.

DeletedUser40768

If your in an ocean 09, this will allow you sail to ocean 99 directly and not have to sail across the whole map as you have to currently. This would be the same with other outer oceans.

Sure but that wouldn't change a thing, that would just be changing the numbers up of the oceans next to each other.

Your ships would take the shortest route, which is logical if the world is in fact round. It is flat and I always wonder what happens in the corners :D

Are they not doing that already? The shortest path between two points is a straight line, you can go in a straight line on a flat world too.

DeletedUser31385

It changes the times dramatically. 114 hours if this is implemented vs 477 hours currently to get from 58 to 50 using a CS. (My example in the OP)

Im sure it would be well over 500 hours to get from 09 to 90 currently. This would be less then 50 if the world was round.

DeletedUser8396

Wait, let's think for a moment: what if the map boundaries are simply the boundaries of our location in Greece?

DeletedUser49358

Wait, let's think for a moment: what if the map boundaries are simply the boundaries of our location in Greece?

Lets be honest here pebble half the things in Grepolis aren't actually Greek to begin with, Triremes are Roman and Carthaginian, Light Ships which use Greek Fire is a lost technology used by the Byzantines against Persian advancement over the Hellespont into eastern Europe, siege works like catapults were never used by the ancient Greeks, Chariots were used by eastern empires like the Babylonians and were really only used for ceremonial significant by generals and kings and not actually in battle as chariots are highly inefficient and need flat level ground to work properly (something that is hard to find in Greece) ... there's other things if I nit picked but I think I made my point.

DeletedUser31385

Maybe, but.... How can they call it a "world" if it is only our location in Greece?

This is a reason as to why the world should be round also:

It has actually been known that the Earth was round since the time of the ancient Greeks. It was Pythagoras who first proposed that the Earth was round sometime around 500 B.C.

Last edited: