Discussion Market Place Abuse?

DeletedUser

I am sorry bump/re-open a topic that has been deemed resolved, but I believe something was left unexplained.

The following thread was posted to suggest a remedy for Marketplace spamming. In post #9 Grep Rimmer indicates there is a filter system available already. This prompted the OP to call for the thread to be closed. I am aware of this filter system and use it frequently, but I do not see how it can be used to remedy the issue of spam in the marketplace. Because I may may be missing something, could someone please explain how this filter system could be used to avoid having to weed through multiple pages of small trade offerings. For example, a few months back in Calydon one player posted 20+ pages worth of 100unit trade requests. This was not a small player who needed to use small trade amounts. These trades were left up in the marketplace for well over a week, so he was not hiding resources from an attack. Most definitely these trades were posted with the express purpose to annoy other players.

http://forum.en.grepolis.com/showthread.php?49488-Create-a-Minimum-Resource-Trade-amount

DeletedUser

you could just accept a bunch of those, same result.

NO Chalna, you misunderstand the issue. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. In the example, I wanted to be able to look through the offers in the marketplace to choose a trade of my liking (for example, one posted by an alliance mate), but the player has spammed it full of 100unit offerings such that trying to find a trade is cumbersome and time consuming.
An Idea was submitted to place a minimum limit on trade amounts, but the thread was closed when the fact that there is already a filter function was discussed. I am asking if anyone can explain how the current filter function could be used to solve this type of spam problem, because I use the filter regularly and can not find a way it would help.

ps - I'm really hoping Grep Rimmer will see this thread since he was the one who originally suggested that the current filter does hold the solution. But if anyone can enlighten me before he does I would appreciate it.

DeletedUser

ok, sorry. Granted this is annoying, maybe a minimum on a slide scale like with pop required for attacks?

DeletedUser36146

I read your message and in order to explain my position I have to write quite a bit
something Im not really in the mood for as Ive finally decided to quit after 5 years.
So my apologies if you have to read between the lines.

In evaluating any proposal to change the existing game I try to look at 2 things
1] Does it actually improve the game
2] Is it worth the cost of the developers time.

Ill explain the latter briefly - IMO Gold has destroyed this once fine game.
Whilst I accept that Inno need a basic income to operate-generate profit etc.
they justified adding gold to - well - just about everything as a way to pay for developments.
Players ideas/suggestions are just mini developments.
So effectively when we say yes/no to and idea we are paying for it and therefore maintaining the status quo.

With that in mind a couple of quick examples:-
a proposal to have the time clock in AM/PM format - would anyone see that as an improvement or want to pay for it? I wouldnt.
Obviously the OP did and thats fair enough - we all have opinions.
a proposal to make the game more user friendly for colour-blind players.
On that one I voted in favour as I feel its a valid contribution for many players (not me I hasten to add)

Add to that the players suggesting the ideas - and again this is only my opinion -
but they tend to fall into 4 categories
1] Ive had an idea cuz I want to see my name in lights
2] Somethings ticked me off/Im too lazy or impatient/I didnt win - change the rules
3] I want to make the game more exciting - RRARR
and finally what seems to be a rare commodity these days
4] Ive had an idea that might actually improve the game for the majority.

I will add a sub category to the above which is
A] How dare anyone critiscise my idea.

My apologies to anyone reading this (and the long suffering moderator)
if Ive digressed but as this is likely to be my last post (I heard that!!)
I wanted to get a few things off my chest.

So with all that in mind and moving on to your original post:-
Your suggestion involved several aspects.
1] a minimum trade amount
2] a maximum time limit
3] Banning players that have done this to annoy you (or was it hanging them from the nearest lamp post)
4] Shooting down the first player to say he didnt really like the idea (not me)

So to summarize and I stress its only the way the original proposal comes across is:-
Im too lazy to scroll throught the trades - so I want to spend your money so im not irritated anymore.
That may not have been your intent but it was certainly how it was percieved.

Regarding strategy: - Much has been written regarding what is strategy/tactic and what is abuse.
Generally speaking if it is within the rules then as far as I am concerned its a strategy.
If I wanted to play a game that was little more than click build spend gold click build
then I would be playing sim city or the like.
This is a war based strategy game and developing tactics is a part of the fun.
Some tactics are designed to help you - some are designed to hinder the other player.
A similar strategy might be overland farming then cancelling your attack
knowing the other guy will have activated his militia and slow down his res production.
Irritating yes. Should we therefore propose having no cancel button on attacks - hell no!

Getting to the market place finally.
I actually use this tactic under certain circumstances
(not to annoy my fellow players - I can post on the external forums to do that LOL)
The existing filter in place should certainly narrow the field down as you can specify type of resource ratio time of arrival etc
Of course it wont eliminate ALL trades in there but it might save you several pages of looking.
I actually suspect that this guy knows you are irritated by it and consequently is doing it more.

My counter proposal
Rather than suggesting what you did/how you did - why not propose the following?
When creating an offer you can specify all/alliance + pacts/your alliance only
If you propose adding the same to the search filter when you are looking for trades
then I would think that would cure your specific problem
as well as being useful to other players without the need to change anyone elses tactics

If you were to propose this especially with the emphasis on helping to keep trades in an alliance
then I would concur with it and you might find more success.

Sorry if this has been a bit long winded

DeletedUser42857

it was long winded, and i dont totally get the relevance. ;)

Yes, people who spam the market with 8 pages of trades offering multiple trades of 120 rock are an absolute nightmare. Even an "ignore trades from this member" button would help.

or just checkboxes

show all | show all pacted | show just my alliance

so i can just see teh trades that i actually care about.

DeletedUser11965

So basically, an alternate to this would be having an option to ignore offers posted by certain people.

DeletedUser5819

So basically, an alternate to this would be having an option to ignore offers posted by certain people.
Yes.
Yes, people who spam the market with 8 pages of trades offering multiple trades of 120 rock are an absolute nightmare. Even an "ignore trades from this member" button would help.
or just checkboxes
show all | show all pacted | show just my alliance
The checkboxes wouldn't be enough for those of us unfortunate enough to be in the same alliance as the offender. Just waiting for him to ghost <phew>

DeletedUser33530

Well you can select the offers (resrouce type wise) you want to see and at what ratio.
As for 100 resource trade, I actually do that a lot as it allows more people to accept my offers at whatever amount they want. Also you might only have room for 400 more resources to trade and if there are only 500 offers you can't trade.

DeletedUser

Well you can select the offers (resrouce type wise) you want to see and at what ratio.
As for 100 resource trade, I actually do that a lot as it allows more people to accept my offers at whatever amount they want. Also you might only have room for 400 more resources to trade and if there are only 500 offers you can't trade.

If you are accepting a trade in the market, you do not have to take the full amount posted in the offer. There is a small arrow/drop down which allows you to type in the amount you would like to accept if you want less than the full amount.

DeletedUser33530

If you are accepting a trade in the market, you do not have to take the full amount posted in the offer. There is a small arrow/drop down which allows you to type in the amount you would like to accept if you want less than the full amount.
That has never worked for me in more than a year of game play. I didn't even know what it did until right now.

DeletedUser

That works great - and to really get amusing, accept those 100 unit trades for something small and off... like 72, 21, 54, 12, 98... no one will know you did it, but everyone will think the person making the original offer is frakking nutz.

It amuses me, at least.

DeletedUser

There is a cap on how low you can go i think... 500 resources maybe. Can't remember exactly.

DeletedUser

You can trade 100 as the minimum..which as mentioned is a good tactic to flood the market,I do not see what the problem is as mentioned some tactics good others not so.The filter system in place is quite adequate have always found sure others will disagree,but a massive overhaul hardly seems worth it as at some point the spammer may post a trade you actually want to take him/her/alien up on

If your wanting to just trade between your alliance create a tab to post on and work it out between you,if you send and they do not return the resource are they really the sort of player that should be in your alliance?

DeletedUser5819

Until you experience it you won't get how insurmountable and annoying paging through 40 pages of drivel is in each of your 40+ cities.
Also...
Only a few people get to say which annoying losers don't get to be in their alliance.

DeletedUser

Too true on who gets entry to the alliance,we cannot all be chiefs though someone got to be the indian!

Why would you go through every page in each city in general would image most cities reasonably close so the travel time would only vary a little.Say on page 22 of trade offers thats is what your after,move city and start at page 22..granted this is not foolproof but may save some time for you.