Mercenaries Alliance

DeletedUser

I had this idea for an alliance, and I'm not nearly egotistical enough to think that I'm the first one to have thought it up, but I wanted to know if you guys have ever come across anything of the sorts.

So basically, as the title says, it would be a mercenaries alliance. It would have no known enemies or allies and it would remain completely neutral. The alliance would have one founder, most likely given a title like "The Don". This would make sure there would be no power struggles or power plays. And because Sestos has a 50 member cap there would be 4 or 5 leaders. These guys would be called "Enforcers". And then there would be normal members called "Hitmen". Of course you would have your forum mod who could be given a name like "The Janitor", but I would also change the responsibilities of the diplomat completely. We would call him "The Accountant" and he would be responsible for receiving hits and assigning them (I'll come back to the assignments of hits later). So I guess I'll go in depth about how this kind of alliance would work now:

The Hitmen: these are just your average run of the mill members. Not really all that special and easily replaceable. Broken up into squads of about 7-9 members depending on their location. When they receive a hit they should not know who asked that it be delivered or why. Only who the target is and that they will be recompensated for everything they lose.

The Enforcers: There should be about 4 or 5 enforcers in the alliance. these are your leaders. They are the only ones besides The Don and The Accountant that should know who placed a hit. They will each be over a squad of hitmen and give orders to their squad. The formation of squads is to promote knowing who you are fighting alongside and to break down responsibilities. Every experienced Grepolis player knows that it's easier to work with small groups.

The Janitor: Just your average forum mod Nothing really special about this role. They may participate in carrying out hits if they choose to. Can be replaced easily.

The Accountant: This is most likely the most important job in the whole alliance besides that of The Don. If you have anyone that you trust unconditionally DO NOT make them your Enforcer, make them the Accountant instead. The Accountant's job is simply to work closely with The Don to find hits to carry out and make sure that the alliance does not suffer any backlash for the hits they carry out. The Accountant will also relay the orders of the assignment to the squad of enforcers that fit the job the best. Jobs could include, attacking cities, clearing cities, defending cities, supporting cities, spying on cities, or just threatening others.

The Don: A man shrouded in mystery, no one outside of the alliance should know who The Don is. You may even want to give your Accountant and a few Enforcers founder rights so that no one inside of the alliance knows who you are either, though this is not necessary if you have a big enough army behind you.(This is risky, because of infiltration, malevolent disbandment, etc. Experienced players know the troubles of having too many founders) I encourage Dons to remain anonymous because those that you have hit and enemies that you have made will clearly come after you first. (This is why you need to wisely choose what hits you accept) The Don should run the alliance from the shadows. If your hitmen know who is pulling the strings, then you're not doing your job well enough. Your job as Don is to make sure the alliance only hits those they could take in an actual war, to keep the peace with alliances without having to pact with them, and making sure that payments (however you choose to be payed) are delivered.

I know there are a few problems to be sorted out, but I would love to see this type of thing enacted. If not in this world, maybe in the next one. So, what do you fellas think about my idea for a merc alliance?

DeletedUser37640

Sounds extremely well, but so does communism. I highly doubt you could get it fully played out as such and you would basically have to be the baddest dog in the sea, or if one alliance makes a vendetta against you, your hands could be full.

DeletedUser

Agreed. Even communism looks good on paper, it's making it work without looking like a noob that's the real challenge.

That was one of the problems that I mentioned. you would have to recruit amazing players to keep others from wanting to claim revenge on you. And because you would ensure your clients that they will remain anonymous you would ruin the whole operation if you sell them out to save yourself. That's why if someone were to try to act this out I would recommend becoming a sort of "bully" and only carrying out hits on those that you know you could beat in a war without stretching yourself thin, because despite what's happening your business must continue to run. You never know. Someone always has a pact mate that needs to learn their place.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25164

I like the idea but as said about it would be hard to put together and extremly hard to keep "the don" a secret. I'd be interested in seeing this put into action though

DeletedUser

This seems like a great idea, but as everyone above said, it will be extremely hard to carry out.

DeletedUser

i think this would be best done as a small elitest alliance. 10-15 members.

DeletedUser

In Upsilon where the alliance cap was much larger we found ourselves fighting an alliance like the one you are desribing.
I ran Alpha Omega as founder and leader. The alliance we fought was named The Enforcers and had a total "mafia" play style.
With the names ironically being Godfather and Hitman and the like.
We won the war with them and watched them dwindle slowly. I am not bragging just explaining the story how it was and actually did happen. They were ruthless attackers with out thinking about their actions taken. Grepolis is much more than just a war game, there is strategy and planning that must be considered to endure until your WWs are built.
But your idea has merit,however I think of the term mecenary as one who would kill for the highest bidder. So all one needs to do is pay more than his current master and they now have your army.
Just my 2 cents.

DeletedUser

you could hide repercussions by running a shadow alliance, i.e. not officially created. This way no one knows who is who in the alliance and it becomes a bit harder to take down your merc organization.

DeletedUser21770

you could hide repercussions by running a shadow alliance, i.e. not officially created. This way no one knows who is who in the alliance and it becomes a bit harder to take down your merc organization.

With an idea like this you'd either have to have numerous 1 man alliances (or small alliances) pacted or have an external forum in order to communicate. Possible but still difficult.