Inactive Topic Mercenary Soldiers

DeletedUser

Proposal:
Have you ever wanted to go to war with an army of Roman Leagions? Or maybe bring your enemies to there knees with a platoon of Egyptian Spearmen. Perhaps you fancy an army of Gaulish warriors to protect your city from invaders? I propose to have a ship come every three days that sells elite, mercenary units.

Have you Checked the 'Do not suggest list/previously suggested ideas' in the 'Archive'?
Yes, and it says something about not suggesting "Heroes", but I do not think it counts as such.

Reason:
Long ago, greek traders sailed around the world, and traded with the civilizations of Rome, Egypt, and many more. I feel that this will give a better feeling to being greek, and actually ruling a city in the time of antiquity. I think that it will allow for more strategies when at war and a larger database of units, would be greatly helpful.

Details:
48 hours after you build your harbor, and market place, the first ship will arrive in your harbor, and stay for 24 hours. After it leaves, you have to pay a fee for it to come back of 1000 of each resource. You must pay this in order for it to visit you again. It takes two days to arrive.
Another option is to pay 50 gold, and it will arrive at your city instantaneously however, using this method, you will have to pay 50 extra gold every time after the first payment. This will go up by 50 gold every time it is used. Every 4 days, it resets to 50.
Much like the Phoenician Merchant, you must click on the ship and it will open up a screen where you can purchase either (You can't have both) of the two units. You can purchase up to ten total mercenary population at a time.

Each "Mercenary" needs to be paid and fed, so it takes away 0.5% from your resource production for every mercenary you own, and some extra mercenaries for certain units. There is a restriction of 100 mercenary units per player, although they do not take up population.

Now I am sure you want to see these mercenaries, correct? Well here they are:

Egypt
An Egyptian ship will appear at your port 35% of the time.

Egyptian Spearman - 250 Wood
Sharp Attack: 18
Speed: 8
Booty: 8
Defense Blunt: 27
Defense Sharp: 10
Defense Distance:7
MP: 1

Egyptian Chariot - 1300 Wood
Sharp Attack: 70
Speed: 20
Booty: 70
Defense Blunt: 86
Defense Sharp: 13
Defense Distance: 60
MP: 4

Rome
A Roman Ship will appear at Your port 30% of the time.

Roman Legionary - 350 Silver
Sharp Attack: 20
Speed: 7
Booty: 9
Defense Blunt: 2
Defense Sharp: 25
Defense Distance: 51

Roman Cavalry - 890 Silver
Blunt Attack: 46
Speed: 24
Booty: 80
Defense Blunt: 20
Defense Sharp: 1
Defense Distance:25
MP: 2

Tracians
A ship from the Tracian Islands will appear at your port 25% of the time.

Tracian Skirmisher - 250 Rock
Blunt Attack: 20
Speed: 9
Booty: 15
Defense Blunt: 18
Defense Sharp: 12
Defense Distance: 30

Tracian Bowman - 260 Rock
Distance Attack: 12
Speed: 14
Booty: 28
Defense Blunt: 5
Defense Sharp: 35
Defense Distance: 15

Carthage
A Carthaginian Ship will appear at your port 10% of the time.

Javelin Thrower - 350 Silver
Distance Attack: 24
Speed: 13
Booty: 30
Defense Blunt: 10
Defense Sharp: 31
Defense Distance: 23
MP:1

War Elephant - 4700 Silver
Distance Attack: 78
Speed: 6
Booty: 100
Defense Blunt: 95
Defense Sharp: 25
Defense Distance: 20
MP: 8
NOTE: You can purchase up to two elephants, even though the mercenary population exceeds 10

MP= Mercenary Population.

Visual Aids:
Incredibly sorry, but I don't have any.

Balance:
This will change gameplay somewhat, but with the restrictions, and such it will be limited. I see that with some of these "Elite Troops" that it may add to strategies, but overall I believe that this change is simple enough to where it will not change too much.

Abuse Prevention:
For cheating? Well after thinking long and hard, the only way to cheat would be to multi account, and send the Elite Troops to his/her other account. To prevent this, support using Elite units can only be given to players with enough mercenary space left to do so. (So if somebody already has 80 say... Javelin Throwers, then you cannot support with 30 Barbarian Skirmishers)

Summary:
Every two days, a ship will come into your harbor bearing elite, mercenary troops. You can then purchase the soldiers using your resources, but must pay them daily by giving them a share of your resources. With this new update, you can make these powerful units fight for your city, but with the drawback of less resources coming in at a time. I know that this will take a while to code, and implement but I think that such an update would be worth the wait, and that I have made it simple enough for this too happen.

Thank you,
Post your comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

what are the population values of these units? if they use no population then they are have the same population and some of them are massively overpowered (like 78 attack where anything over 20 is pretty good usually).

i know you said they don't use population, but if you can have 100 mercenaries then maybe they take up merc population (as opposed to normal population). in that case some of these need to use more merc population than others.

DeletedUser17523

I love the idea!! I also <3 the merc pop idea, but would you have a seperate merc pop for each city like current pop works?

DeletedUser

Don't give them pop or merc pop. Give them a half-life say after time has pasted they leave you. Or have an upkeep cost.

DeletedUser

what are the population values of these units? if they use no population then they are have the same population and some of them are massively overpowered (like 78 attack where anything over 20 is pretty good usually).

i know you said they don't use population, but if you can have 100 mercenaries then maybe they take up merc population (as opposed to normal population). in that case some of these need to use more merc population than others.

Yes, there is 100 merc pop, and I gave the Elephant, and Egyptian Chariot the * which means extra merc pop. Which other ones should I give? Footmen and Horsemen should take one, since there is only one person.

Well maybe cavalry. I will change it, thanks!

DeletedUser

Don't give them pop or merc pop. Give them a half-life say after time has pasted they leave you. Or have an upkeep cost.

Did you not read the whole thing? Every merc pop you own, slows your resource production by 0.5% with a mac amount of merc pop at 100. So, you are paying them to stay.

DeletedUser

Yes, there is 100 merc pop, and I gave the Elephant, and Egyptian Chariot the * which means extra merc pop. Which other ones should I give? Footmen and Horsemen should take one, since there is only one person.

Well maybe cavalry. I will change it, thanks!
i think it would be easier to assess if you just gave them a merc pop (MP) value as part of their stats. also their MP value should be high enough that their attacks and defences per unit of MP are massively overpowered.

currently the highest attack per farm space is just over 23 for medusas (and 23 for slingers), so to have units with over 30 per MP will be quite a lot stronger than any other current unit... with defence the current highest is 45 for blunt defence with pegasi (30 distance def for swordsmen) so something around 40 for one defence class might still be acceptable.

DeletedUser

OK, I agree. Thank you for the feedback, I will make the changes.

DeletedUser

looks much better :)

the only things that i'd still say are too high are maybe the roman legionary distance defence (62) and the roman cavalry attack (30.5 per MP)

DeletedUser

Well alright, I guess they could be a bit more balanced. How about I change the legionary's distance defense to 51, and the cavalry to 54.

DeletedUser

well that still makes them the best defender (in it's best category) and best attacker by 13% and 14% respectively.

if you want those numbers i would probably either make the roman ship quite rare or give each of those units some other glaring weakness, like 1 for defence in some category, just to balance it out.

DeletedUser12815

Roman Legionary - 300 Silver
Sharp Attack: 28
I am probably overthinking this but why is the Roman Legionary attack sharp when all the legionaries used javelins as ranged weapons then switched to short swords during close combat. The swordsman which would be the regular grepolis counterpart is a blunt attacker then wouldn't the Roman Legionary have a blunt attack to.

Also I am probably overthinking this again but I am a little confused on why the war elephants would be a ranged unit not a blunt ( based on them trampling warriors )or sharp ( spearing warriors with tusks).

Besides these questions I would like to see this idea implanted into the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Roman Legionary - 300 Silver
Sharp Attack: 28
I am probably overthinking this but why is the Roman Legionary attack sharp when all the legionaries used javelins as ranged weapons then switched to short swords during close combat. The swordsman which would be the regular grepolis counterpart is a blunt attacker then wouldn't the Roman Legionary have a blunt attack to.

Also I am probably overthinking this again but I am a little confused on why the war elephants would be a ranged unit not a blunt ( based on them trampling warriors )or sharp ( spearing warriors with tusks).

Besides these questions I would like to see this idea implanted into the game.

Question1: I thought they used large shields, along with spears. I guess it is all debatable.

Question2: Carthage used large elephants, but although they did use them to trample people, it wasn't there main attack strategy. Each elephant had a team of 5 men. 1 was the driver who sat behind it's head, with it's reigns and an incredibly long lance it case enemies came to close. On it's back there were 4 archers in a basket, and I am considering this the main weapon, so therefor ranged.

DeletedUser

well that still makes them the best defender (in it's best category) and best attacker by 13% and 14% respectively.

if you want those numbers i would probably either make the roman ship quite rare or give each of those units some other glaring weakness, like 1 for defence in some category, just to balance it out.

OK I was thinking about that. I will change. Thank you for pointing it out.

DeletedUser

This would be good if there was ever a 3.0, because it would be hard to just put this in 2.0, but possible.

DeletedUser

I think that the ship should only come if you pay it to, in addition to only being able to come every few days. That way, you can limit the amount of mercenaries you have, and make it more balanced.

DeletedUser

I think that the ship should only come if you pay it to, in addition to only being able to come every few days. That way, you can limit the amount of mercenaries you have, and make it more balanced.

Wonderful idea!!!!! Perhaps, a fee must be issued in order to make it come, but then it takes two days after paying the fee. I guess you also have to have a market, and a port though.