Inactive Topic Mercenary Soldiers

DeletedUser

I like the concept and in my opinion the concept is more important than the numbers which are always subjected to change and can be easily altered for balance.

DeletedUser

I just want to add, that is this idea is to be worked on we should also aim towards realism.
Yes, mercenaries were used, what I mean by realisim is about the civilizations and units in question:

Rome, bad idea, in the time of Grepolis Rome did not even exist as a republic yet, it was a small kingdom which uses greek and etruscan kind of units, the used hoplites, they were weak and had no trade power. A Roman ship is unrealistic, let alone the units it offers, Roman Cavalry? the romans had awful cavalry, their armies had very few Equites which were poorly supplied for horsemenship. So both Rome and its units should be scratched from the list.
Also thought I should address this:

Roman Legions were "sharp" not blunt, firts because they threw their sharp Pila before engaging in hand to hand combat, with both the "spatha" and then the "gladius" were sharp swords used for thrusting, not slashing or cutting, they were thrusted to the enemy in a punch like movement, Roman swords were not blunt weapons, if soldiers tried to hit with them in slashing movements the swords would have broken.
---
but anyway Romans do not fit in the historical setting of the game.

Gauls: While they did exist at that time, they were not yet used as mercenaries and kept to themselves in their forests, if you want "barbaric" like mercenaries, switch to Tracians instead, they were around the time, and they were used as mercenaries in many occasions, the most famous were the tracians Alexander took to conquer Persia.
Units: barbarian skirmisher, barbarian cavalry.
The tracians were noted for their horses, in fact the Macedonians learned the use of horses in war because of their proximity with the tracians.

As for cartage, well the units are ok, but you change them for Numidian Cavalry (they had javelins) and Baleares Slingers (from the Baleares islands) cartaginian armies were famous by both units, although the numidians were mercenaries themselves, from Numidia, we can have Carthage selling them, for their proximity with Numidia

For the part about the Romans, we don't know the time period. What you say is quite true, however, but I don't know what to change it to. (Oh and the Byzantines, or the Eastern Roman empire's army was made mostly of cavalry, not that we could use that because the Greek Empire was gone by then)

For the Gauls, I like the idea, and I will change it.

For Carthage, I believe that the idea itself is good, but It may also be to late to change. With a Numidian Light cavalry and an elephant, I don't think it would be fair or balanced. (And I want the elephant :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

, we don't know the time period
yes We do, the game is set in The Classical Period or Golden age of Greece, from around 500 to 300 BC.

Well, about carthage it will be amatter of opinion, and whatever decition its reached will be fine I guess, because it would not change the mechanic of the idea. But I rather have the numidians than the elephants, the elephants really weren´t used much, except in the wars of the greeks Diadochi in middle east, and by carthage in the second peloponnesian war. Doesn´t really go here, but I guess we can call that a minor inaccuracy.

Anyone has arguments against this idea?

DeletedUser

other than the extra complexity it will add and the 2 high powered sharp attackers, not really.

DeletedUser

Well, they are susposed to be buffed a bit. What is the point of buying a unit, that is less powerful?

DeletedUser

nothing, but hoplites (the best standard sharp unit) have 16 sharp attack and the 2 sharp attackers i'm talking about here have 28 and 25 per farm space, which is a massive amount higher.

they are even more powerful than medusas and manticores, and in fact they would actually both be the most powerful attackers in the entire game by some distance.

DeletedUser12324

I think singular heroes would be better than a slinger that's just from a different country. Just one hero that you can pick that specializes in something rather than introducing a load of random already done units with slightly different stats.

There's alot to remember in grepo if your playing seriously i just think this will confuse things a bit but i like the concept :)

DeletedUser

There's alot to remember in grepo if your playing seriously i just think this will confuse things a bit but i like the concept
If you are playing it seriously, you already have everything memorized, which isn´t that much.

Singular heroes has been suggested dozens of times, the idea does not lift off, it doesnt really have much potential.
This in the other hand is balanced, there is a pop amount, a limit, a upkeep.

DeletedUser

I think singular heroes would be better than a slinger that's just from a different country. Just one hero that you can pick that specializes in something rather than introducing a load of random already done units with slightly different stats.

There's alot to remember in grepo if your playing seriously i just think this will confuse things a bit but i like the concept :)

ON THE DO NOT SUGGEST LIST.

And these are mercenaries, not heroes.

DeletedUser

nothing, but hoplites (the best standard sharp unit) have 16 sharp attack and the 2 sharp attackers i'm talking about here have 28 and 25 per farm space, which is a massive amount higher.

they are even more powerful than medusas and manticores, and in fact they would actually both be the most powerful attackers in the entire game by some distance.

OK OK, I guess that is still powerful. What if I lower the attack to 21 and 18?

DeletedUser

Troops For Halloween
Zombie Cost 1000 Wood 1200 Rock 1200 Silver Barracks Level 5
Vampire Cost 1500 Wood Rock and Silver
Werewolf Cost 2500 Wood 3000 Rock
Ghost Cost 500 Wood 1000 Rock 700 Silver
Witch Cost 1000 Wood 1000 Rock 900 Silver
Alien Cost 2000 Silver

I Hope You Use These Ideas

DeletedUser18132

What the.............! Are you kidding me? You can't just come to a random thread and write this. At the very least, make your own thread!

DeletedUser

Yeah, but still it doesn't have much to do with this, and if he really wanted it implemented, he should have also put stats, or a reason or something of such.

DeletedUser

These are special units. You can only get a few of them. Of course they are going to be very good. You can get thousands of hoplites (albeit, quite expensively) but only a hundred of these (or less). I think any less than what it is right now is not a good idea, because you might as well get a hoplite instead of this special elite (the best of the best) unit.

DeletedUser809

Well, I guess I'm going to be the first one to say no to this idea. It's nice to see that you put some careful thought into this but I think the basic idea from the beginning is flawed.

What is the reason for adding more units? Do they add another strategic dimension to the game or allow us to do something we can't do already? I don't see that they do. As others have already pointed out the units in the OP are way overpowered. If they were modified to not be so overpowered they end up basically either overlapping mythical units or regular units or landing somewhere in the middle. I think the game already has all the units it needs. Barring the introduction of some other new type of weapon there are no gaps in the current set of units (except possibly in the mythical class but the addition of Hades did a lot to address that). I also disagree with these units having zero population. If they have no population then how do you count bp for killing them? It also just doesn't make any sense. Mercenaries have to be fed just like any other soldier and probably better because their loyalty is always in question.

Secondly, how is this any different than buying units via the Phoenician trader? This mercenary ship you're describing is essentially the same thing and the prices for the units are a bit more realistic given that you are getting them instantly without any barracks time.

Adding new units to the game is incredibly tricky. It's not just about giving it stats that no other unit has. It's about how the unit fits into the existing set of units and the matchups that are there. Unless you can show there is something lacking in the current set of units I would argue that no one should even be proposing new units. It just ends up being a new unit for the sake of a new unit.

Last edited by a moderator: