Inactive Topic Message all players on an island

• Thread starter DeletedUser14492
  • Start date

DeletedUser14492

Sup peeps, simple idea...

Proposal:Create a "message island" function in game. This would allow you to quickly mass mail all players who have cities on a specific island, with minimum hassle.

Reason: Many times I have wanted to or needed to message every player on a specific island - this can sometimes be many, there are 20 odd city slots on some islands. In order to do this you currently have to type their names into a mass mail. Or create a distribution list. This is time consuming and annoying, cutting and pasting etc.

There are various applications. Perhaps you want to attack a city on the island and have friendlies there that could help. Perhaps a city on the island needs defensive support. Perhaps you want to kill off some of your own units. Perhaps you just want to say hi. etc etc.

Details: There are various ways this could be implemented. It could be an added function to the mail system in game in some way. Perhaps you could input the island code to a message, rather than player names, the game could then populate the distribution list with all players on that island.

Or it could be a separate feature on an island. There is already a pop up menu for the "information" button on islands, the "message island" feature could be added to that menu for instance. You click it and it brings up a mass mail with the distribution list populated with all the players on the island.

Visual Aids: Use your imagination :)

Balance/Abuse Prevention: None, its just an improvement to the messaging system.

I think this is a fairly simple improvement to the game that I am certain people would benefit from. Relatively speaking I doubt it would require much coding or time. Please rate the thread, and post a reply :)

Ev
Im wearing brown and purple socks today.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I suppose I wouldn't mind this idea, even though I have never needed it in the past.

DeletedUser

Well there is already a way to add a group message function. Just insert the names and click save. Next time you want to send a message to all players just click that group. I am against this as it's not really needed imo (IN MY OPINION).

~ Lane

DeletedUser

Well there is already a way to add a group message function. Just insert the names and click save. Next time you want to send a message to all players just click that group. I am against this as it's not really needed imo (IN MY OPINION).

~ Lane

Had to sPell imo out didn't you :p? Second even though it probably isn't that big of a difference Eventines idea is probably more efficient...

Thrillology

Phrourach
I've thought of this before, wishing they had this, but I haven't needed it all that often except for when I let neighbors know when I have a cs besieging a city or taking a city, making recepient lists can be annoying when they might be used a couple of times, but most players just use Mass Mail, however pacted alliances won't be able to see the mail that is sent via alliance mass mail.

I think this could be useful, and maybe some mass-recruitment alliances will start sending messages more often rather than random invites (that's much more decent then receiving random invitations ._.).

I like it. +green.

DeletedUser

Nah, there is already a Group function which allows you to create groups.

DeletedUser14492

In respect of this improvement, that comment is not relevant.

Because you can only create a limited amount of recipient lists for mass mail - in case anyone has not noticed, there are thousands of islands.

I have already mentioned ways you can contact everyone on an island, all involve inputing names by copying and pasting them into a distribution list for a mass mail or new recipient list. This is time consuming, inefficient and annoying. Should I have to do this every time I want to contact everyone on an island?

The feature I have proposed allows anyone to instantly contact all players on any given island with no fus or time wasted. It is a simple improvement that I would have made use of many many times.

Ev

DeletedUser

In respect of this improvement, that comment is not relevant.

Because you can only create a limited amount of recipient lists for mass mail - in case anyone has not noticed, there are thousands of islands.

I have already mentioned ways you can contact everyone on an island, all involve inputing names by copying and pasting them into a distribution list for a mass mail or new recipient list. This is time consuming, inefficient and annoying. Should I have to do this every time I want to contact everyone on an island?

The feature I have proposed allows anyone to instantly contact all players on any given island with no fus or time wasted. It is a simple improvement that I would have made use of many many times.

Ev

Fair enough, with all my criticism answered, I support the idea.

DeletedUser

I like this idea, would have used it countless times if it existed!
Always wanting harbour checks from ally mates on cities wishing to revolt and/or conquer and with this function it could happen in seconds rather than minutes copying names in to the recipient box along with allowing fatser replies as you would send to all not to the couple in alliances and so on...

I suspect really simple code needed for this idea as well so see no real reason why it couldn't be implemented with ease as well.

DeletedUser14492

Thanks for the support and plus reps peeps, remember to rate the thread and anyone out there that likes this please post your support here :)

Looks positive so far, hopefully we can get this moved to development and onward to voting ASAP :)

Ev

DeletedUser

As soon as players have cities on 30+ islands, they don't want to be receiving messages from random's asking for support or resources.

I just cannot think of a situation where i have wanted to message people who i didn't know on my island.

Could you explain what you would use this function for? I am assuming when asking for support, but that's why you have pacts/alliances.

Thrillology

Phrourach

If you're a mass recruiter sending out mails to join your alliance, then you wouldn't need to create a billion recipient lists, instead you could message players on the island. Random alliance invites bother me, I'd much rather see who's the one sending them. :/

I know there's a group function already (which I pointed out in my post that I knew that) but that's a pain to use just to message new islands that you might only need to message once. And if you're a large player with 50+ cities, then good luck making a last minute list.

DeletedUser14492

I just cannot think of a situation where i have wanted to message people who i didn't know on my island.

Could you explain what you would use this function for? I am assuming when asking for support, but that's why you have pacts/alliances.

I feel I have already explained what this function would be used for. Players with cities on islands are allies, pacted or neutrals, whatever, there may be cause to mail people on a specific island(s) on occassion. I'll try to go into a bit more detail...

The most obvious is support, either offensive or defensive. Everyone knows that a mail can often ellicit support when a forum post does not (and vice versa), thats just part and parcel of life in Grepolis. The ability to mail people on islands you need support from, offensive or defensive would be advantagious if you could do it quickly and efficiently, rather than going through the long winded cutting and pasting needed to create a distribution list/mass mail.

For World Wonder islands, this would also provide a quick easy way for leaders or anyone to contact players without the need for multiple distribution lists... support, resources, information etc.

Sometimes people want to kill off forces, perhaps they are changing a cities use, whatever. For me it doesnt matter who helps me kill them, often the easiest way is to contact people close to you and ask. "can I attack your city with my defensive troops, I want to kill them, thanks". Whatever, you get the picture. There are other ways to achieve the killing of your forces, this is just one option.

Others have mentioned recruitment, probably more usefull early on in a world, when alliances are establishing themselves. Not all alliances are pre made, some grow from humble beginnings, the ability to quickly contact islands I think would be useful.

Everyone knows that it is the people on an island that build the farms up, how easy to communicate with each other to achieve this faster with an efficient way to contact everyone else on the island, this is one more application of this improvement.

This idea is not a massive game changer. It is an improvement to the way you can manage contact with people. I think it would be relatively easy to implement. A small change, with benefits I and as others have stated, would have been used many times if it were available.

I would also like to see this idea developed, I think the system should allow you to add several islands to a mail quickly, all the application mentioned above, extended to not just one island, but several in the area. I think the applications mentioned become even more beneficial then.

As soon as players have cities on 30+ islands, they don't want to be receiving messages from random's asking for support or resources.

Thats a shame, I help anyone who needs it, unless they are an enemy or there are other strategic reasons.

Ev

DeletedUser

Hmm, maybe you do have a point.

The issue with mailing lists is that you'd have to change it every time someone conquered a city on your island...

DeletedUser

The issue with mailing lists is that you'd have to change it every time someone conquered a city on your island...
Surely something a simple code can work around easier than us simple minded humans making lists, code seems to work well with alliance member changes, so another reason to have this mailing option added :)

DeletedUser

Surely something a simple code can work around easier than us simple minded humans making lists, code seems to work well with alliance member changes, so another reason to have this mailing option added :)
Ay, that was my point!

DeletedUser14492

I dont see nothing wrong with a little *bump* and grind.

I think this is a good wee improvement, others seem to think so as well. Please if you like the idea, let us know with a post and rate for the thread :)

Ev

DeletedUser30636

pleeeeease!!! everytime i try to start an alliance, this is often what makes me not, i hate having to either message each person individually or put them in a group, it could be in the island info section!