Musings on Moneyball and Grepolis

DeletedUser

My humble opinion in response to your post.....

It's called profiling, and while sometimes unfair and stereotypical, can be a very effective tool, hence its use worldwide

Not necessarily a bad strategy if survival is your end goal, but will never win you the world

I think there's a huge difference here. Courage and eternal at war and under attack can really benefit from playing defensively, as they can still earn BP. Someone simply building as a "turtle" has to sim...ahem...sit and wait to be attacked to earn their BP. Besides I highly doubt these two started off as turtles.

I agree. Many battles being waged all across Marathon and they are all intriguing

If they indeed have attacks to defend against. Still need offense to expand though, not very effective attacking with swordsmen and archers

So.........what happened?:p

Ahh.. saved me from replying. Thanks, and + rep for you :)

DeletedUser

Appretiate the reply. My overall comment though, that poor research choices have nothing to do with turtling. Stuff is thrown in to try to turn turtle unto a catch-all term for all one feels is bad play, likewise MRA as catch-all term for all one feels is bad alliance management.

Why not just say bad play or bad alliance. Twisting definitions serves no god purpose IMHO.

DeletedUser

I'm done reading your post pizza steve (remeber the steve the pizza cutter from the pizza hut commercials?). Even if you reply I'm not reading. Your post are bloated with such useless jargon and rhetoric that it puts me to sleep. I find your narcissistic kind very obnoxious, getting a high from how smart they sound. Obviously efficiency isn't your strongest suit. I could sum up your garbage in 5 sentences. On to other things, I really grow tired of the MRA and Turtle finger pointing. Hey play the game however you want, I don't play that way nor advise it. If you think its a great way to play, then have at it.

He asked for comments.

Why you feel the need to insult me as the sole contribution of your post is beyond me. Insecure? Like starting flame wars? I wont bite. Don't like my style, feel free to not read a you yourself promise to do.

Don't worry, we can go back to a dull, content less forum. Sorry I challenged the status quo as a new player. Batting average is the key to winning, not OBS.

DeletedUser

LOL, Mr. Pizza steve, you are too funny. He simply likes giving nicknames to people. It's his way of saying he likes you.

DeletedUser

Appretiate the reply. My overall comment though, that poor research choices have nothing to do with turtling. Stuff is thrown in to try to turn turtle unto a catch-all term for all one feels is bad play, likewise MRA as catch-all term for all one feels is bad alliance management.

Why not just say bad play or bad alliance. Twisting definitions serves no god purpose IMHO.

It does, turtles usually research noobish research such as Democracy, Architecture, and crane. Because they don't farm or actively stay online much to farm from farming villages and loot other players, they tend to try to cut down building costs instead of earning more resources.

Well MRAs do have terrible management system, they send out massive recruitment to everyone in their sight, even though if not in their based Oceans. Its basically a term that describes that sort of alliances.

DeletedUser

Removed as a personal comment, which I will no longer post.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I would say the M.R.A or simming till the end is the great philosophy tbh,SOD formed early on and had a skirmish against DF and pacted with them,They tried against Eclipse and then pacted.Now 3 SOD alliances,in the T.G.A,all pacted against DW.If one puts some slight thought into it.All 3 SOD alliances against DW would have been lambs to the slaughter,so T.G.A was the only option really since no one to fight around them being pacted with all large alliances in close or shared oceans.I do see you guys being here at the end.After all 3 alliances based on core members having 4 cities or so each and a upper lvl of barely 10 if that,with large city counts.It would be stupid to fight SOD.World wonders 14 months away and the good alliances are thinking ahead.SOD will have to boot alot of its members or just use em and lose Steve style to reform again or do they plan for each of the SOD alliances to build together in harmony? TBD,GOW,DW how many spin-offs there? So will T.G.A all just build world wonders side by side in a wargame??? the dysfunctional family will melt down as only one alliance can win a world....if thats the game we are playing here.....I really dont know much as ima pi dinosaur (as steve would put it) somehow got something called a world winners achievement and well wonder what he would say about that alliance for not have 2 off-shoots.

DeletedUser

Ending contact

You obsession with commenting about me has grown scary, so I will no longer engage in posting.

DeletedUser19930

I have heard comments all of which have been negative towards TGA = The Great Alliance.
I formed TGA for one purpose. Approximately 3 months ago, Marathon was heavily dominated by Raise Your Weapon. Solar Eclipse was attacking them in one corner, Death Fiber was struggling to fight them off in their ocean. The Black Death was attacking on another side. And other alliances on their borders fought the 'good fight' against them.
When the parasitical * alliance Rat Patrol surprised Solar Eclipse by a mega strike on their cities and formed a Pact with RYW it looked like game over as far as other alliances having a chance to build a World Wonder - 11 months down the line. RYW even divided into two = RYW East and RYW West. Could anything stop them except for the hope of internal arguments and divisions?
I came up with the strategy that ALL alliances that were not Pacted with RYW or Rat Patrol come together, not around campfires to sing songs. The main purpose was to support alliances attacking RYW and RP. And to try and halt wars between alliances as this would only help RYW and RP to carry on strengthening their core Oceans.
And I have found it successful. Many alliances did stop "mini" wars, and did send support to players fighting RP and RYW. Some players/leaders did not see the world outside their own ocean and saw it only as a "distant war - no concern of theirs". Although this was very few players and only a handful of leaders.
Like a chess game - the pieces were moved as was hoped, even the Queen was taken! Although now the whole balance of power has shifted. RP had to take in many RYW players. RYW East and West is back to one alliance and losing many players.
TBD and GofW our now the top ranked alliances. TBD are taking in many top players from RYW.

* Parasitical = Why? I know its a strong word. At the beginning of the world Rat Patrol recruited (perhaps MRA!) from the four corners of the world. And took in anyone that was in their 'core' ocean. A few months down the line, they became very silent apart from complaints about anyone moving into their ocean. What they were silently and somewhat secretly (although when checking internal takeovers you could in hindsight see what was happening) doing was eating up all their low point players. They also in one go kicked out all the players outside their oceans, and even players in their ocean. They left the players outside their ocean 'high and dry' without negotiating them into other alliances. When they had eaten up all their previous players they surprise attacked SE. No harm in that - its a War Game!
I have been battling them for about 3 months, at first they were a well oiled fighting "Elite" machine, with high point scores. Maybe due to some leaders poor strategies, from my experience, they no longer work as a team. 2 or 3 players may work together on occasion. And the alliance looked ready to crumble when it changed to Raise Your Rats - A merge with many Raise Your Weapon players.
I believe when an alliance works so selfishly against its own members - it will turn in on itself. Check the colonisation stats.
Yesterday one of their players found 9 CSs in my 'safe' harbor. And at the time of the land attack I foolishly only had 400 Biremes in there. Was there an alliance wide call to send LS nukes to take a massive strike out of my offense units? Approx 10 hours later many attacks from 2 players! Of course I sent away the CSs and they were met with 1,500 Biremes and their mega LS nukes were destroyed. Were was their team? There was several players on the same island and close by that did not send any attacks, even to re-check the harbor.

What future now for TGA? I am not sure. Its a forum for leaders of alliances to discuss (if they wish) future strategies and help each other.
The main purpose of its formation has been a success - I believe.

DeletedUser

Stay tuned, it's about to get a lot more interesting. TGA was useful in the fight against DW, still helps against RYR. I anticipate a shake-up in TGA in the coming weeks though.

DeletedUser19930

He's still playing on Marathon. Leading Spartans of Darkness. Probably too busy to come onto the forum.

DeletedUser

Sorry to be absent gang. I felt it better to remain silent after a player in game chose to take offense to my in game play and researched my real life identity and chose to send personal information to players in game about me. Based on this I reported this to moderators and chose to stay silent, as real life identity theft is a very serious issue.

Perhaps we can continue the strategy dialog, as there are many interesting dynamics in the world. I like decimel's post and proudly own the title MRA for my team. Interestingly I think we have greater unity, in some ways, as a team versus many of the pre-organized teams of experienced players. We have lost some of our active players to fatigue and the world is a bit too organized for high action right now, so a change might be welcome too.

That said, I have accomplished many of my game goals, including a top ten rank and occupying an island with cities named in tribute to the top alliances (only 6 slots so maybe I should have picked a bigger one). Likely we can't win, but we position ourselves to have some influence which remains fun.

If I stay less active I want to thank the whole community for a very interesting, and somewhat addictive, life experience. Best wishes and happy Chinese New Year.

DeletedUser19930

I have no problems with MRAs - in fact I respect leaders of them. Leaders need to have a lot of patience for new players. It takes a lot more time, effort and orgainising than a pre-made alliance with fully experienced players.

And players that bad mouth MRAs should try setting up an alliance for all players - experienced and no non-experienced players. And see how difficult it is.

Remember - we were all new to this game once upon a time many many ........................ months ago!

DeletedUser

I have no problems with MRAs - Remember - we were all new to this game once upon a time many many ........................ months ago!

I agree and have said this myself many times. MRAs are where "noobs" can learn the game, and if it peaks their interest and they commit, that is where "elite" players are born from.

Sure they seem like easy BP at the start of a world, but as the world goes on, those that stay become battle-hardened grep vets that know how to play, which makes a server that much more fun and interesting.

DeletedUser

Most of GOW were noobs at the start of this world, myself included. Only problem is recruiting later in the game increases chances of spies.