Name that city!

DeletedUser

I'm big on style over substance. My kung fu is pretty weak so I mask it with all that humor and wit you've all come to know an love. To that end, I spend a lot of time coming up with city names. Forget that whole Borg approach where your cities are Krulnackhasnoimagination27 or Alpha 66-1–LQ. I want my names to be opportunities to rock.

Evolution of egmification system
When I started this game, I went with the theme of "Things You Shouldn't Attack." It didn't work BTW. Evil BBCue and his Atlantic League MRA alliance spent weeks trying to take down Helpless Kitten and Salad Bar (who in their right mind attacks a salad bar?). I decided that maybe I just needed to up my game but I was wrong. You'd be surprised how many people will attack Mother Theresa or a Baby Fur Seal or even (yipes) Grandma! Now that's just wrong.

So I of course gave up on the attack-proof theme because all of you here at Grepolis at heartless brutes who would attack your mother (or grandmother) to get some quick BP. It also got a bit hard coming up with names in the theme so I moved on to military code names. Sounds dull right? However, using past military experiences and the NICKA system (Yes, the military actually has a computer program and lengthy procedures for all those dorky names), I was soon having lots of fun.

Angry Scissors and Furious Needle are really dangerous sounding names but my favorite so far has been Random Mustard. Who wouldn't want to be involved in Operation Random Mustard? I can already see the unit tshirts and the theme parties. What's up with all the nicknames that the military seems to love you might ask. The answer is partly security but there's also a fair bit of tribalism and machismo making it such an institution. Wielding the new Tacit Rainbow weapons system sounds a lot cooler than telling civilians you're packing AGM136 missles to take our radar installations.

Operational naming is pretty important. For instance, the recent American involvement in Libya is code named Oddyssey Dawn. You'd think someone at the White House would have picked up that the name sounds a bit too much like an adult film actress; the media sure did. However, Urgent Fury, Reagan's adventure in Grenada, is the kind of name that sounds cool and that's good for morale and media relations. When it comes to naming, it's not that different from branding.

Of course, most people think the military is filled with mindless drones with no sense of humor. In fact, I spent four years in the military which may confirm or dispel that belief. In that time, I found plenty of irreverance popping up to offset the very real and necessary discipline and compliance aspects. That often popped up in operational names. Now, I admit that Angry Scissors and Random Mustard are my own inventions; no such actual operations or weapons systems exist. However, you'd be surprised what did make the list and not at the company unit level. Here are a list of some of my favorite code names coming out of the Pentagon:
Busy Bikini Chicken Little Cold Duck College Girls Combat Wombat Commando Gopher Concrete Sky Coronet Bacon Cross Legs Deep Julie Dixie Cup Glass Organ Have Hemp Heavy Tryst High Heels Lonesome Tiger Night Life Outlaw Shark Peace Crusade Pencil Pusher Seed Spreader Seek Sin Seven Bucks Tea Bag

Now that's some funny stuff. Still not as good as Angry Scissors but I totally want to roll out on Operation College Girls and that new Combat Wombat armored fighting vehicle is gonna rock. Not too sure about the new Tea Bag helmet system though. Think there might be some resistance.

Now, as I said, my kung fu is weak but, every once in a while, I manage to gain a new city. When I do, I always like to have some good names ready to go. So, now that you know the whole theme I am going for (funny real or imagined military code names), do any of you have some good ones you'd like to share. I'm hoping to make this a humor thread so feel free to provide the backstory. If I like it, I'll use it.

DeletedUser

I did see a city called 'menopausal'... no way I was going anywhere near that one! eek!! lol

DeletedUser

Testudo Velox

(having in mind the vision of Evo on our defensive tacktics and our own vision of our progress)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Great post!!! Very fun read. I'd plus rep you if I could ;)

No thoughts on a name, as my cities are rather un-originally named after a favorite children's book series...but if I have a moment of inspiration and think of something even 1/2 as hilarious as some of the one's you've already listed I'll give it a go.

What I really want to do is take all of these
Busy Bikini Chicken Little Cold Duck College Girls Combat Wombat Commando Gopher Concrete Sky Coronet Bacon Cross Legs Deep Julie Dixie Cup Glass Organ Have Hemp Heavy Tryst High Heels Lonesome Tiger Night Life Outlaw Shark Peace Crusade Pencil Pusher Seed Spreader Seek Sin Seven Bucks Tea Bag

and weave them into a story. I fear, though, that if I published such a thing I'd be perma banned from the forums

DeletedUser

"Evil BBCue and his Atlantic League MRA alliance"

Proving evil leader + MRA are an unstoppable combination. Makes me blush ;)

Recommended city names you wouldn't want to touch and themed to a rainbow:
Red Rash
Agent Orange
Yellow snow
Green booger
Bleu cheese
Purple nurple

P.S. I know some ppl like bleu cheese, but I have a restraining order out against it.

Some other random ones:
Returned bikini
Hotdog vendor
Meg
Seat of taxi
Flatulence
Bar toilet

DeletedUser

I did see a city called 'menopausal'... no way I was going anywhere near that one! eek!! lol

Surprisingly, menopausal is not one of the words that's popular in naming. "Today, the pentagon announced that it has launched Operation Strident Meopause." ? Nope, I don't think we're quite ready for that.

DeletedUser

Well if you want it to sound realistic and "Pentagon-like" then you have to provide some more information.
How many people are supposed to land, how many people is "acceptable" to ... not land, what the terrain looks like, how many surprised locals will be there, you'll fall from sky or you'll jump out of the peoples toilets, ... etc...

Edit: The last part reminds me of "Fierce Flush", but that is more like a counter attack operation in this case.

DeletedUser

My skydiving team spent a week with some paras and they told us the names of some of their wacky ops. I was quite amazed at some of them, the british goverment may be a flop but at least the MoD can come up with some funny names.

DeletedUser

Ever live with a woman?

MEN.... smart men... fear it more than death itself.

I have lived with women and live with a woman for what seems like most of my life..

Menstral = Women detest it, Men fear it

Menopausal = Women fear it, Men detest it.

It is a slow conversion it seems.

Menstral = You have a voluptuous woman that goes crazy and gets bloated once every 28 days. :D

Menopausal = you are left with Uncle Harry for the rest of your days. :eek:

LOL either way we are F-ed ;)

Disclaimer: I am not subject to any hitting, slapping, kicking, pinching, punching, cutting, shooting, maiming or any other physical or phsycological harm because of this post.... why you ask... I paper rock sizzored the nuclear bomb is why!!!!

DeletedUser

There was a street in the city I lived last called "broomrape".