Proposal Naming islands

Shuri2060

Strategos
Proposal:

Give alliance leaders the ability to name islands. Only players in the alliance can see the names (but like reservations, there should be an ability to share with other alliances).

Or Grepolis could give islands name by default (instead of numbers).

Reason:

The current naming system of islands (numbers) is very unhelpful for planning stuff/seeing where things are. Players usually resort to using city names (through city bbcodes) instead. Island bbcodes are rarely used.

DeletedUser36530

Islands coming with names seems like a better alternative for developers. maybe have like 5k (or however many islands in a world) names randomly generated in each world instead of a number as a bbcode making it easier for people to makes plans and type in that islands bbcode in a fly. This seems like a pretty reasonable idea.

Hydna

Grepolis Team
I think we need to look at this in a bit more depth.
  1. Are there any drawbacks to this?
  2. Realistically given the number of islands it doesnt really make sense to start naming them all and is it really less confusing that an alliance can name them for themselves only.
  3. What happens when you want to give island details to your pact alliances or others outside the group?
  4. Do you have numbers and a name to cover point 3?
We are limited with developer and game design time and theres a lot being discussed at the moment. I think we need more discussion here.

Darth Akula

Lochagos
I think we need to look at this in a bit more depth.
  1. Are there any drawbacks to this?
  2. Realistically given the number of islands it doesnt really make sense to start naming them all and is it really less confusing that an alliance can name them for themselves only.
  3. What happens when you want to give island details to your pact alliances or others outside the group?
  4. Do you have numbers and a name to cover point 3?
We are limited with developer and game design time and theres a lot being discussed at the moment. I think we need more discussion here.

1) Could be if alliance x names island 1, "y" and Alliance x names island 1, "y" also. This would mess up "reserve share" in relation to "island name share" as mentioned above. If alliances do the naming.

2) Devs could do it and just repeat isle names each world but still have the BB Code # correlated to it active as well for BB coding purposes but for things like discord, skype, mumble, etc, isle naming does have a theorized benefit and I see the OPs perspective and I get what he's saying. Needs to be more thought out though. If Devs do it, this eliminates problem 1, but more work for them.

3) Going with #2, make it similar to reserve share or just BB code or name state the isle. Shouldn't be an issue

Thoughts?

Shuri2060

Strategos
There's room for a lot of ideas on this... not sure what the best solution is.

If the game names the islands, there needn't be that many generated names if the Ocean number is preppended to the name, say.

Or maybe scrap actual names and just have the coordinates of the island as the 'name' instead. Still better than meaningless numbers, imo.

Lethal-Bacon

Polemarch
From a developer perspective this is very difficult to organize and re-arrange and probably not worth spending time/resources on making/doing considering their developer crew is shrinking with each quarter and getting shipped to more lucrative games/projects.

Only ideas/suggestions worth making are things that are really unfair and breaking the game itself or the intended gameplay.

Shuri2060

Strategos
From a developer perspective this is very difficult to organize and re-arrange and probably not worth spending time/resources on making/doing considering their developer crew is shrinking with each quarter and getting shipped to more lucrative games/projects.

Only ideas/suggestions worth making are things that are really unfair and breaking the game itself or the intended gameplay.
That depends on which idea is taken. I think there are a number of solutions which are relatively trivial to implement.

Eg. choosing coordinates as island 'name/nunber' - I don't believe this would take very much time at all.

Of course, there are better but more time consuming solutions as well.