Passed Naming of Islands/Island Groups

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

The main idea is to improve administration within alliances, so that's why each alliance gets to choose a name for each island it has a presence on.

DeletedUser

It might be cool but I don't see this helping administration much like you say.

DeletedUser

You can appoint a leader for each island group. This will make the administration easier.

DeletedUser

You can appoint a leader for each island group. This will make the administration easier.

After people have a few cities it is much simpler to designate a leader per ocean, or maybe per half an ocean at the earlier stages.

DeletedUser

Yeah, 1 per island is too much for a dominating elite alliance

DeletedUser

Yeah, 1 per island is too much for a dominating elite alliance

Not 1 per island. I meant that you could make island groups of 10, 20, 50 islands... whatever you choose. This will allow you to improve administration below the ocean level - something still needed in an elite alliance.

DeletedUser

Well... aham....

I haven't seen this thread before, my bad, I thought I was a good digger. But I started a new thread about the same subject, but taking it in a different perspective.

So I'll just copy and paste here what I wrote in the thread I started. I don't mind merging my thread into this one, but I just think my Idea goes to a different direction of yours, Empirerbuilder123.

Original post:

"Proposal

Islands in the real world have names, which make possible to identify them. Whoever never got lost sailing around the Grepolis oceans? Specially because there are just a few different island models?
So I suggest a way of making the player able to name an island, which will bring not only pride to him/her, but also a new objective in the Grepolis world.

Details

But to have the glory of naming an island won't be an easy task. You have to earn it. To get to that point, first the player would have to reach a minimum amount of points. Let's say 10.000 points (I think is reasonable). The first one to reach this mark, would have the right to name the island where he/she lives. But is that all? Nope. Here is where the things get interesting. Let's say that a second player in the island reaches the 10.000 points too. He or she would have the right now to claim that name. It will be up to this player to do that or not. If he/seh thinks the name suits well, and he/she is happy with it, that's ok. But if the player thinks the island deserves a better name, he/she could declare war (by attacking the one who named the island) or he could try a diplomatic way (via chat, maybe). This brings lots of strategic options and some fun to the game. An Alliance would help? Maybe... But maybe they don't want to put their fingers in this cause, which makes you break up with them and try by yourself or try another Alliance... Also, if a third, a fourth, a fith, and so forth, city reaches the 10.000 they could try their luck as well. Maybe two cities could team up after deciding in a common name, or the first one could try a particular alliance with the third (a treason?!) too. As I said, the options are many and exciting. And just because of an island's name....

Abuse Prevention

To avoid an endless battles for naming the island and to encourage the players to try their eternal glory, if the player succeed in defending the name of the island after reaching the maximum points for his/hers city, than it can't be claimed no more. He made it! Congratulations!

Visual Aids

Basically in the bigger map, when you hover the mouse on an island, if it has a name, it will show up (just like it is when you hover on the building in your city map). In the map that shows the islands closer, the names (if it already exists) will always been displayed (or could be displayed after hovering the mouse over the island too).
To name an island, after the player reaches the 10.000 points, the option would appear (or become active) in the Agora, for example.
For the player claiming the name, after clicking on the city that named the island, he/she will find the option in the box. Clicking on it, will automatically send a message to the other player informing him/her that the name is being claimed. From now on, it will a be problem they will have to find a solution...

Summary

This idea works in two ways (or more). It helps the players to navigate around the oceans (names help us to memorize better than shapes), give some identidy to the Grepo world, and give something else to the players do besides upgrading cities and just attacking other cities. It gives a meaning to an attack, it creates a real war!

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes
Is this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? I don't think so.

P.S.: There's a slight problem, but easy to solve... Of course there are already thousands of thousands of players with over 10.000 points. If this idea becomes a reality, Innogames could name those Islands or could allow the ones with 10.000 or more to name his/hers respective island (probably starting lots of battles with this...). I would go for the first option. This would make those players look for a new island to colonise and try to crave their name on it."

DeletedUser

I think that Eclipse would have to merge the topics. I don't want to do it myself, that would be plagiarism...

DeletedUser

Eclipse "suggested" to continue the post here... Closing the other one...

Thing is, I'm suggesting a different thing from the one proposed by Empirebuilder. Even himself said this thread was inactive, so I continued on the one I started...

I hope things don't get messed up...

DeletedUser

DING DING DING, end the round and have a break lol, phew that was some forum, one suggestion
alot of posts here are saying this
1 Can get abuse

CURE

Swearblock
Report the name
Max letters
Or simply...desighn a list of already named names, good ones tho, hundred even, thousands!

2 Lagging

CURE

There is none
except if you get a better computer!
Or design it so it isnt all graphical like the game is, and just have simple words, no lagging!

3 Point

CURE

WHATS THE POINT
Who came up with that
The point is to make is easier between players to co ordinate attacks trade and support, somtimes having the bb code isnt enough, you might want to move around the islands and lets say search for.....Prince of macedon lol oh there you go found it, so now i know he is to the souch and 4 islands away

Problem solved!

IMPROVMENTS

The highest pointer gets to name the city NO.. at the start the players will be like school children arguing between themselves, they wont be attacking each other, then eventually they will get bored.
It should be a new thing, for example, unlocking it in the acedemy!
Having say 12k before you get the possibilty!
Having at least 3 citys on the island!

These are a few ideas and only ideas SO NO HATE MAIL PLEASE

DeletedUser

Having at least 3 cities sounds nice too, but it will take too long!

If you name a city, you are taking the risk. You don't have to. Then you have to keep it. If you can't, you give in, if you can, fight for it. It's a way of putting something in the new. Not just raise a city and conquer. A war, a battle, will have a real meaning. And it can have lots of strategy and diplomacy in it.

About kids arguing: well, if somebody else puts a name on an island and I don't agree with it, but I'm not match for him/her, after peaceful negotiation fails, I can either give up or team up with another player(s).
In the opposite situation, if my contestant just barks, it's his/her problem. After a time the name can't be contested anymore.

It's not a mechanic system. It can generate lots of possibilities.

P.S: Names are better to keep in mind than numbers (coordinates), and also give some "personality" to the island. I think Scrubaloe from Devil's Horn sounds better than Scrubaloe from 323n - 212s.

DeletedUser

I don't think that the biggest person on that island should have naming rights. That would just entrench the game's position as being a bit rough and unfriendly on new players. Just each alliance gets a name for each island.

DeletedUser

desighn a list of already named names, good ones tho, hundred even, thousands!
Why don't you supervise the namings? There are thousands of islands in a game server and a lot of game servers. The devs don't have that kind of time.

2 Lagging

CURE

There is none
except if you get a better computer!
Or design it so it isnt all graphical like the game is, and just have simple words, no lagging!
I am not saying that my computer can't take the lag. It's the Grepolis server itself that can't take all those new information. Using simple words will only help a little.

3 Point

CURE

WHATS THE POINT
Who came up with that
The point is to make is easier between players to co ordinate attacks trade and support, somtimes having the bb code isnt enough, you might want to move around the islands and lets say search for.....Prince of macedon lol oh there you go found it, so now i know he is to the souch and 4 islands away

Problem solved!
There's still no point. Especially when you could already use bb-codes to tell people where to go. Using island names, especially when some islands have the same names, will only cause confusion.

IMPROVMENTS

The highest pointer gets to name the city NO.. at the start the players will be like school children arguing between themselves, they wont be attacking each other, then eventually they will get bored.
It should be a new thing, for example, unlocking it in the acedemy!
Having say 12k before you get the possibilty!
Having at least 3 citys on the island!

These are a few ideas and only ideas SO NO HATE MAIL PLEASE
What if nobody fulfills the requirements? How will you refer to the island? *massive cough*BB-CODES*massive cough*???

Face it, this idea is obsolete.

DeletedUser

This has partly been suggested, but with little tweaks, it could work very well:

Whoever is first to join the Island gets the option to name the Island (If they chose not to, the next person gets to chose and so on). After the Island has been named, whoever named it gets the 'Deeds'. The only way for someone else to get the Deeds is by CONQUERING the City with the Deeds. An obvious problem is if the person with the Deeds quits, leaving a little-300 Points village no-one wants to Conquer - Once the Town goes into Ghost-Town, the Deeds are passed to the next active City on the Island. If there are NO active Cities on the Island, the City remains it's last name, until an activty city returns (Conquering/Colonization), which will then have the ability to rename the Island, and hold the Deeds.

I can't see any problems with that idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.