Passed Naval Tactics

DeletedUser

I like this idea. Why is the least tactical part of the game, naval warfare, what should be an extremely important part of a game based on island warfare? Changes need to be made.

DeletedUser

I really like this idea. I've been wanting a new ship to make naval warfare more fun but this would do that much better.

DeletedUser11886

I like this idea. Perhaps even land tactics could be used? And these to be researched?

DeletedUser

Very interisting idea. +rep for the thinking you've put in it.
With the rebalancing for triremes incoming, naval battle would bring other suspense than just numbers.
But IMV, I'd lessen the advantages to make it closer to the +10% of Thermal Baths (if there's TB there's no lighthouse). I'd turn the +20, +30 and -20 into +15 and -15.

DeletedUser7697

This is a superb idea, but wouldn't this make the Thermal Baths, Theater and Library useless and go against the re balancing that Inno is trying to do? Most battles are inter island and for this naval battles are unavoidable. This system would allow the lighthouse to give a 30% bonus is naval battles. If you compare this to other boosts then the lighthouse gives the equivalent boost as favorable wind, war council and battering ram combined.

Also this takes away almost all the advantages the defender has because you said that

Thats a very good point; I think it would be fair to say that in that case all defensive tactics would be wiped out, the defender will have to co-ordinate what tactics they use, if there is only one bireme tactic affected the ships in the harbour then it sticks however if there are two then they wipe each other out and the attacker gets the 30% bonus.

It will be compulsory for everyone supporting the city to have a lighthouse because even if one supporter does not have it or accidentally sends the wrong tactic the whole naval defense of the city fights 30%(or 20% if you decrease the boost) weakly. When you are talking about biremes stacks of hundreds this can mean losing significant fighting power.

Overall this is a great idea and you get a +rep from me -Achilles-. Also if I made any mistakes in my reasoning I am sorry and please point them out.

DeletedUser345

This is a superb idea, but wouldn't this make the Thermal Baths, Theater and Library useless and go against the re balancing that Inno is trying to do? Most battles are inter island and for this naval battles are unavoidable. This system would allow the lighthouse to give a 30% bonus is naval battles. If you compare this to other boosts then the lighthouse gives the equivalent boost as favorable wind, war council and battering ram combined.

Also this takes away almost all the advantages the defender has because you said that

It will be compulsory for everyone supporting the city to have a lighthouse because even if one supporter does not have it or accidentally sends the wrong tactic the whole naval defense of the city fights 30%(or 20% if you decrease the boost) weakly. When you are talking about biremes stacks of hundreds this can mean losing significant fighting power.

Overall this is a great idea and you get a +rep from me -Achilles-. Also if I made any mistakes in my reasoning I am sorry and please point them out.

Yes valid points raised.

I think firstly maybe halve the advantages which I am currently supplying to make it a tad weaker, and you need to remember that many people prefer the pop from the thermal baths so that will always be an option. Perhaps you could design a sort of blunt/sharp/range attack sort of thing but either kyklos/two deep/standard. A Bireme would have 160 on all three of course and then (say they were using kyklos) a bonus 10% would be added on to the kyklos defense, -10% off the two deep and +15% to the standard one (offensive tactics/no tactics) before the ships left the harbour. The defense would have a total kyklos/two deep/standard defense by toting up the individual navies and combining them. Meanwhile the attacking ships would work in the same manner, will return too later.

DeletedUser39847

i like this idea...it could spice things up but some points i think that could be improved are

1.the bonus's gained...maybe lessen the values and the other point

2.is maybe instead of all cities having all the proposed tactics each city could be limited to 1 tactic each as this will make things a bit less complicated as patterns can be better established and involves less luck in choice of tactic but a bit more skill.

Thrillology

Phrourach
i like this idea...it could spice things up but some points i think that could be improved are

1.the bonus's gained...maybe lessen the values and the other point

2.is maybe instead of all cities having all the proposed tactics each city could be limited to 1 tactic each as this will make things a bit less complicated as patterns can be better established and involves less luck in choice of tactic but a bit more skill.

I still think this would make Grepolis more like Firefly's MMO (which is similar to Grepolis, but slightly more complex) and it would be too similar, so a "no" to this idea, as I said "no" to an idea VERY similar to this a long time ago (except that idea was for land troops).

Last edited:

DeletedUser11965

I dislike how this is a game of luck and not a game of skill

DeletedUser

I agree wholeheartedly that the naval portion of this game could use a revamp to spice it up, but I think your idea, while very creative and well explained, is just too complicated.

Still, kudos to you for coming up with something really interesting! :)

DeletedUser

Maybe this has already been asked and answered.... meh im too lazy to look. But what if you don't build a lighthouse? How would this be implemented for people that have it and those that don't?

DeletedUser

This will make grepo veryyyyy complicated... Its a no from me

DeletedUser

I love this idea. Makes Grepolis more of a strategy than a luck game

DeletedUser

Hello, i've played this game back in 2011 (gamma) and am playing now on Oropos and Paros.

This is my first time posting in the external forum, i've been following discussions, but feel that this subject is just too tempting to not comment.

I think this tactical element is a bit under-represented in the game. Land unit combat is OK, but indeed, naval combat is a bit boring. It's just about who puts the most boats (and avoids spending his resources on triremes).
This gives rise to the problem of the "bireme wall" : if both adversaries have the same time and resources, the defender can always produce biremes faster than the attacker can produce light ships. So the attacker will never get through the defenses.

Naval tactics could change this, and give triremes a more interesting role.

But all the tactics described in the initial post are a bit complicated.

My suggestion is this :

Academy : 1 attack tactic (LS) 1 defense tactic (bireme)
Lighthouse : 1 trireme improvement (makes it an attack ship for example).
Harbor : 1 new ship (what about a transport with an attack ?)

Last suggestion : have this as a world-option.
Some new worlds will have naval tactics, others won't.
And the worlds with naval tactics could have the luck factor reduced to +-10%.

DeletedUser

This has been moved to improvements!

Please continue to elaborate on the idea for further discussion and possible voting coming up! :)

Thank you,
Lane

DeletedUser18132

+1 for me. This should spice up the game a bit.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

It's ok, but I say make it more simple. You said it was rock paper scissors, but it is a very complicated game of rock paper scissors.

I also think the bonuses for using the right tactic are too high, and also, biremes don't line up 2 deep. They are just there in your harbor, so you would have to add a naval screen where you can choose where to set up your ships. Also, it should not be only in the lighthouse, because then it would be a HUGE advantage to players with a light house instead of Thermal Baths.

I think it would be very cool if you could drag your ships into a formation that you make, and that the attacker can also make an attacking formation, and maybe integrate it with your idea.

But if you want to keep this idea, I just say make it more simple and less bonuses for using the right tactic.

DeletedUser

i like the idea but i'm sure you had every code writer working for Inno cursing you as they read this. lol, it will be a heap of work for them. but your thinking is sound and it is keeping with the pace of other games i have played recently. just don't expect this to be happening soon. ;)